Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought you guys might be interested

Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Do you have a link to all of the final standings? I'm looking to do a story to show the average benchmarks it took to win leagues this season

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      Do you have a link to all of the final standings? I'm looking to do a story to show the average benchmarks it took to win leagues this season
      I'd need a flux capacitor. We're in round 3

I am the spreadsheet bitch and am posting it for download after every few picks, along with a .jpg of the standings and category totals every round.

A rule that may be lost in he shuffle is picks 5, 10, 15 and 23 are "blind" in that we are sending those to a third party so we don't know the exact totals until the very end.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        I'd need a flux capacitor. We're in round 3

I am the spreadsheet bitch and am posting it for download after every few picks, along with a .jpg of the standings and category totals every round.

A rule that may be lost in he shuffle is picks 5, 10, 15 and 23 are "blind" in that we are sending those to a third party so we don't know the exact totals until the very end.
        You guys are SOOOOO lucky KevinSeizter aka "The Robot" aka @fastballs and JohnnyA24 weren't aware of this...it would be easy money for them
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
          You guys are SOOOOO lucky KevinSeizter aka "The Robot" aka @fastballs and JohnnyA24 weren't aware of this...it would be easy money for them
          There's a reason why I waited until after we started to link it. That said, there will likely be more. Come and kick our asses!

Comment

There's a reason why I waited until after we started to link it. That said, there will likely be more. Come and kick our asses!
            Oh, not me... I am lower middle to bottom third in these things. Besides, KS and JA routinely kick the holy hell out of most of us....and by us, I mean me.

We actually use a 10x10 format (5x5 career hitting, 5x5 best year hitting, 5x5 career pitching, 5x5 best year pitching).

Unfortunately, the VD history didn't migrate over from the old RJ site before it was shut down. I believe VD I was a format similar to the one you are currently playing. We end up throwing twists into the standard 10x10 format such as using (only once) letters (first name or last name), teams and/or decades as well as limiting the number of deadball era, normal era and contemporary era players.

I have all the VD draftworksheets from the ones I've participated in (from VD XII to the last one VD XXIII), but OaklandA's, KS, joncarlos or JA24 probably have some of the earlier ones.

If you want any of the draft history spreadsheets or a draftworksheet with automatic draft and standings to look at, just let me know, Todd.
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
              Oh, not me... I am lower middle to bottom third in these things. Besides, KS and JA routinely kick the holy hell out of most of us....and by us, I mean me.

We actually use a 10x10 format (5x5 career hitting, 5x5 best year hitting, 5x5 career pitching, 5x5 best year pitching).

Unfortunately, the VD history didn't migrate over from the old RJ site before it was shut down. I believe VD I was a format similar to the one you are currently playing. We end up throwing twists into the standard 10x10 format such as using (only once) letters (first name or last name), teams and/or decades as well as limiting the number of deadball era, normal era and contemporary era players.

I have all the VD draftworksheets from the ones I've participated in (from VD XII to the last one VD XXIII), but OaklandA's, KS, joncarlos or JA24 probably have some of the earlier ones.

If you want any of the draft history spreadsheets or a draftworksheet with automatic draft and standings to look at, just let me know, Todd.
              I mentioned a lot of this in the thread in the NFBC forums and also in private conversations.

No promises, but there is a chance if the idea catches on with the NFBC that some commissioner software is developed for scoring and maybe even drafting. Again, no promises and I probably shouldn't have even said this much.

Comment

Ed Walsh was the second pick!?! pffffft...amateurs

Granted, without a decade restriction, he moves up the draft board, but ahead of Big Train (or any number of hitters)?
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Ed Walsh was the second pick!?! pffffft...amateurs

Granted, without a decade restriction, he moves up the draft board, but ahead of Big Train (or any number of hitters)?
                  In a vacuum, I have that Walsh season as the top-rated pitcher, and it is not really close. That said, none of us have a real handle on the hitting-pitching mix it is going to take to compete.

Comment

In a vacuum, I have that Walsh season as the top-rated pitcher, and it is not really close. That said, none of us have a real handle on the hitting-pitching mix it is going to take to compete.
                    You know, I didn't pick up until just now that you guys are doing best season and not career numbers. Yeah, that makes a world of difference.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Is anyone doing the pitcher ratio dump and loading up on hitters with all their early picks? That's gotta be the way to win a league designed like yours, I would imagine. Though I didn't look too closely at your innings limit. If it's too loose, you might be able to do a Johnny (punting wins and K's and loading up on good hitters early).

If you've got at least one smart player in your league, you're going to definitely have to punt something in order to win.

I have a feeling the Mr. Squidward power punt wouldn't work with most of the deadball hitters locked out by your rules, though.

Comment

I have the top 5 pitching seasons as follows:
                        1. Ed Walsh 1908
                        2. Walter Johnson 1913
                        3. Christy Mathewson 1908
                        4. Pete Alexander 1915
                        5. Sandy Koufax 1965
                        and then a fairly big drop from there to a group with Jack Chesbro, Three-Finger Brown, and Denny McLain.

I have Walsh, Johnson, and Mathewson pretty close at the top, but the dynamics of your league are going to be slightly different, of course.

Comment

My top 20, in a vacuum -- with no regards to a specific strategy

Ed Walsh 1908
                          Christy Mathewson 1908
                          Walter Johnson 1913
                          Pete Alexander 1915
                          Jack Chesbro 1904
                          Walter Johnson 1912
                          Ed Walsh 1910
                          Walter Johnson 1910
                          Sandy Koufax 1965
                          Mordecai Brown 1909
                          Bob Gibson 1968
                          Joe McGinnity 1904
                          Addie Joss 1908
                          Christy Mathewson 1905
                          Pete Alexander 1916
                          Denny McLain 1968
                          Rube Waddell 1904
                          Claude Hendrix 1914
                          Mordecai Brown 1908
                          Jack Coombs 1910

Comment

A good ranking - hard to disagree with the top of that list. Some seasons that I had around #20 are Pedro 2000, Eddie Cicotte 1917, Dutch Leonard 1914, Russ Ford 1910, and Gagne 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                              A good ranking - hard to disagree with the top of that list. Some seasons that I had around #20 are Pedro 2000, Eddie Cicotte 1917, Dutch Leonard 1914, Russ Ford 1910, and Gagne 2003.
                              I have Pedro-43
                              Cicotte-21
                              Leonard-54
                              Ford-29
                              Gagne-55

This is without removing multiple seasons from the same pitcher.

Rankings will of course differ by method and especially treatment of ratios. My draft list was not necessarily simply the rankings, with strikeouts usually the strategic difference maker.

Comment

Working...
                              X