Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which AL Speedster has more value Brantley or Borbon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which AL Speedster has more value Brantley or Borbon?

This is sort of a AGM question for me, but it has value to the rest of us ALers.

Who do you like more this year and going forward?

I have an opportunity to get either Brantley $5 s2 or Borbon $5 s1.

ETA:
    They were briefly discussed on 2k11 threads at the other site.
    Slider wrote:
    Michael Brantley
    CLE, LF/CF, age 23 (24 in May)

He has little power, good speed, but his track record does not indicate he's another Emilio Bonifacio. In the minors, he's showed good contact (which has continued in the majors) and good patience (that's been a low in his MLB A. A combination of good contact and good patience is actually pretty unusual.

He is a LHB, so if he platoons with someone like Kearns, it won't hurt his SB numbers much (who runs on lefties anyway, right?)

Anyway, I'll say .275, .325, 70 R, 5 HR, 45 RBI, 20 SB

I had mostly ignored him on my RJEL team ($5, 18 tm mixed), but if he's a starter out of Spring Training, I think I'll probably keep him. If he can hit for AVG on an AL team, he's got more R/RBI opportunities than an equivalent NL speedster.

Onehawkjay wrote about Borbon:
    This time last year I was drinking the KoolAid. In 2009, age 23, Borbon had 19 SB in 46 games, with a solid history of OBA in support. He was slated to be the regular CF and leadoff hitter, in an explosive offense. Expectations were for a .360 OBA, 85 runs and 40 SB, with upside.

That did not happen. For one thing, he struck out a lot, and did not get on base. Though it was not a lost season, Borbon only played well in June and September. Other months he was bad to awful. He managed 468 PA, but only 15 SB, and an OPS of .649. Projections this year are much tempered. Bill James has him at only 16 SB.

He has a role. His speed makes him a decent OF, although with only fair instincts and a substandard arm. I do not see his PA declining, unless he stops hitting entirely. If he gets his bat going, he could top 600 PA, and score a bunch of runs. One problem appears to be the traditional speed player mistake of trying to hit the ball in the air. That should be coachable.

I am going out on a limb. My projections are not far from last years.

J11: 550 PA, 150 hits, .305 BA, .360 OBA, 30 SB
    Last edited by schlesinj; 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM.
Working...
X