Advanced Metrics League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Metrics League

So, I've been in a year long conversation with some pretty dedicated sabermatricians and they decided to have a fantasy league this year to prove their superiority not only in baseball analysis, but how advanced metrics have rendered stats like Rbi, Era and the standard roto cats obsolete.

So I'm looking to kick their butts the old fashioned way-- ask the RJ crowd for help

12 team mixed (I Know)--H2H, weekly bouts, daily moves and a snake draft.

The offensive starters are thin: 1 Ca, 1b, 3b, Ci, 2b, Ss, Mi 3 Of 2 Util so 12 bats and 12 teams for 144 players.

There are 11 pitchers 5 starters and 6 RPs, so again, lots to choose from as we're only using 122 arms.

Stats categories are as follows:

Offense Hrs, Hits, TBs, Net Sbs, BBs
    Pitching HRs Allowed, K/9, K/bb, Sv+Hld, IP

At first glance I think pitching will be more important, thus moved higher in your normal ADP, with elite MRs as valuable as closers. And high OBP, OPS guys on offense.

I was wondering if #1 there is a site I can use that I can find these custom stats so as to put together a draft board and does Roto Lab accommodate this kind of league.

I'd also be very appreciative of any draft day/season strategies you guys might think would help me as I have a few ideas, but this is new to me in both categories and H2H style.

Thanks!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is there a IP minimum? You could dump IP.

Comment

10 ip min.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

would that mean you target all MRs and closers (those who qualify as starters as well,) with high Dom/good control? and maybe one stud starter?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          would that mean you target all MRs and closers (those who qualify as starters as well,) with high Dom/good control? and maybe one stud starter?
          Sorry, I skipped right over the HTH aspect, I wonder if you could find a way to do it that way. You would win HR allowed every week, probably k/9, k/bb, save and holds and lose IP. Of course, as you said the value of MR and closers should be pretty expensive, but it is a 12 team league, so you may be able to find MR that people do not bid much on.

Comment

it's a draft league with relatively inexperienced roto players--they're just stat heads who want to show us old guys they have a better evaluation method than we do. I'm pretty sure no one will be looking to go all MR's and closers.

I'm thinking drafting all offense first 9-10 rounds, unless I see someone grabbing the MRs. Maybe a stud closer or starter. I can't imagine they'll value the top MRs, but I could be wrong

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I was wondering if #1 there is a site I can use that I can find these custom stats so as to put together a draft board !

And I'm curious, which sabermetricians are these?
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Thanks for the Site!

Just a bunch of Padre fans who can't see past WAR as an evaluation tool.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

H2H adds a ton of volatility to the league. If they really want to prove their stuff, they should be willing to do a roto league where it is the accumulation of stats over a whole season that determines who wins, not which player is currently batting .100 or .400. With only 122 pitchers being drafted you should be fine waiting until the end to load up on solid MRs. I regularly do that in my 18 team mixed league with 162+ pitchers drafted (9 active, plus a bench). Though if you do convince them to switch from H2H format you'd want to grab a few starters so that you don't end up in the bottom of the IP standings.

FWIW, I tossed these parameters into BBHQ and it says offense is much more valuable than pitching, and relievers are much more valuable than starters. The top starter is Lincecum, worth $12 according to the projections. Halladay is projected at $-4 (!). There are only 12 pitchers with a projected value above $19, while there are nearly 40 hitters with a projected value above $19.
                  Last edited by no driver; 02-09-2011, 09:25 PM.
                  18 team mixed 4x4 draft league. Champion in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

Comment

HQ has a wprksheet? I was thiking of subscribing when I renew rotolab or does rotolab also have something like that?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It's a sad day when knowing how to locate WAR on Fangraphs is what passes for doing sabermetrics.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I know. I take my hat off to guys who really know the machinations of sabermatics because it in all honesty, confuses me--I understand it, it's just more information than I care to process. I rely on what I've learned over the years, a basic understanding of the advanced metrics, fanalytics (to an extent) and my instinct. It's served me well to date and I hope it continues to do so.

BTW, how's that new Fielding Metric coming along?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The new fielding metric is Colin's baby, not mine. I think it's supposed to be unveiled in the next few weeks. I'm working on some other stuff.

Comment

So, I've been in a year long conversation with some pretty dedicated sabermatricians and they decided to have a fantasy league this year to prove their superiority not only in baseball analysis, but how advanced metrics have rendered stats like Rbi, Era and the standard roto cats obsolete.

So I'm looking to kick their butts the old fashioned way-- ask the RJ crowd for help

12 team mixed (I Know)--H2H, weekly bouts, daily moves and a snake draft.

The offensive starters are thin: 1 Ca, 1b, 3b, Ci, 2b, Ss, Mi 3 Of 2 Util so 12 bats and 12 teams for 144 players.

There are 11 pitchers 5 starters and 6 RPs, so again, lots to choose from as we're only using 122 arms.

Stats categories are as follows:

Offense Hrs, Hits, TBs, Net Sbs, BBs
                            Pitching HRs Allowed, K/9, K/bb, Sv+Hld, IP

At first glance I think pitching will be more important, thus moved higher in your normal ADP, with elite MRs as valuable as closers. And high OBP, OPS guys on offense.

I was wondering if #1 there is a site I can use that I can find these custom stats so as to put together a draft board and does Roto Lab accommodate this kind of league.

I'd also be very appreciative of any draft day/season strategies you guys might think would help me as I have a few ideas, but this is new to me in both categories and H2H style.

Thanks!
                            I hate to beat a dead horse (okay, no I don't), but how can sabermatricians stand for H2H??? That's trying to make baseball be football.

Comment

I agree, but it's their league and with these guys, you really can't tell them anything so..I'm just looking to beat the hell out of em and maybe they'll listen next year.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X