Bat Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bat Diameter

Surprised to not see a thread on this ...

Interesting article on something that has gotten virtually no attention - last year MLB reduced the max size allowable of bat diameters from 2.75" to 2.61". First time this has happened since 1895.

Coincidence that hitting struggled?

Year of the Pitcher or Year of the Smaller Bat?

edit: I guess I was a bit quick to post ... a follow up pice by Rob Neyer indicates that "In 2009, not a single player in the major leagues used a bat with a barrel more than 2.61 inches in diameter."

related Rob Neyer article here
    Last edited by TranaGreg; 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

If no one was doing it, then why did they change the rule?

Edit: The reason Neyer gives about changing it in case some bat company wants to make it bigger in the future seems odd and incomplete. WHy would this be an issue now?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-08-2011, 07:56 PM. Reason: Read the article

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      If no one was doing it, then why did they change the rule?

Edit: The reason Neyer gives about changing it in case some bat company wants to make it bigger in the future seems odd and incomplete. WHy would this be an issue now?
      If they change a rule while no one is doing anything that doesn't conform to the new rule, it's not subject to the CBA. If it's something ongoing (such as a player using a bat over 2.61" but under 2.75"), it's subject to the CBA. My guess is that someone at MLB was being either proactive or paranoid, depending on your perspective.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

It's not the diameter, it's the motion.

Comment

DQ, I just noticed your eclectic quote list. RAW, Twain, and Williams James--nice trio. Seeing Wilson's name made me wonder if perhaps the Illuminati had something to do with the chagne in bat size.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            DQ, I just noticed your eclectic quote list. RAW, Twain, and Williams James--nice trio. Seeing Wilson's name made me wonder if perhaps the Illuminati had something to do with the chagne in bat size.
            It was the Elders of Zion.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Meh, age old debate of Length vs Width.............
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
              X