Cameron Maybin 2K11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Maybin 2K11

Nice minor league numbers, not so great in Florida.

Now with a new club in San Diego, what will he do? He's still just a kid (24?), although it seems he's been around for a long time.

Will he take over center field? Will his bat start matching his minor league numbers and his well-documented potential? Or is he hype with no substance?

I note that Florida didn't seem to get much for him.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Nice minor league numbers, not so great in Florida.

Now with a new club in San Diego, what will he do? He's still just a kid (24?), although it seems he's been around for a long time.

Will he take over center field? Will his bat start matching his minor league numbers and his well-documented potential? Or is he hype with no substance?

I note that Florida didn't seem to get much for him.

I'm not hopeful, I think that Detroit started the downward spiral by really rushing him to the big leagues when he was only 20. He was also rushed up the minor league ladder with the Tigers, doing 4 levels, including the majors, in only his 2nd year of baseball. I think that he'll get the job with the Pads, but I don't expect too much out of him...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah rushed too quickly for sure!

Good
      Elite speed
      Groundball tilt
      Still young

Bad
      MLB Eye (8% BB, 68% CT) Terrible for a guy who is speed based
      xBA says he's not better than a .250 hitter

I expect more growing pains and less than 400 ABs.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I'm not touching him given the horrible plate discipline he's shown to date, plus his home park.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Wow, this is much more negative than I thought it would be. The numbers made it look to me that he earned those promotions up through the ranks.

My observation would be that Florida didn't give him much of a chance to succeed, jerking him back and forth between the bigs and AAA.

Question: I have him at $1...even if you are negative about him, would you think he was worth a gamble at a dollar?

Comment

Wow, this is much more negative than I thought it would be. The numbers made it look to me that he earned those promotions up through the ranks.

My observation would be that Florida didn't give him much of a chance to succeed, jerking him back and forth between the bigs and AAA.

Question: I have him at $1...even if you are negative about him, would you think he was worth a gamble at a dollar?
            For a buck, sure. You just can't expect too much out of him. But if he steals 15 bags, he's earned his keep...hopefully he won't kill your BA at the same time.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              For a buck, sure. You just can't expect too much out of him. But if he steals 15 bags, he's earned his keep...hopefully he won't kill your BA at the same time.
              Who would you want in a mixed league 5x5? Maybin at a buck or David Murphy at $5. They are projected at about the same numbers, except Murphy with a higher BA. It seems to me that Maybin has more upside, plus would be a better keeper long-term with a $1B contract (second year).

Comment

Who would you want in a mixed league 5x5? Maybin at a buck or David Murphy at $5. They are projected at about the same numbers, except Murphy with a higher BA. It seems to me that Maybin has more upside, plus would be a better keeper long-term with a $1B contract (second year).
                I think that Maybin is going to struggle to get to Murphy's numbers. But the 4 dollar difference makes it damn near a coin flip IMO. I guess that I'd take the chance that Maybin can actually put up now and cut bait later if needed. I think that you can always get Murphy for 5 bucks later, if you need to.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

As a $1 fifth OFer, Maybin is a fine gamble. If he pans out, you have a gem; if he flops, you lost the least you could possibly lose. He does have the benefit of being in a new organization, which as we know, can often light a spark in a guy. That said, any larger investment will likely be wasted, as he appears to be over-matched against MLB pitching.

Comment

I wouldn't keep either in a 12-team or less mixed league. 14 or more teams, I'd give Maybin and his upside a shot.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      I wouldn't keep either in a 12-team or less mixed league. 14 or more teams, I'd give Maybin and his upside a shot.
                      Yep. In a 12 team mixed both are a waste of a roster spot.

Comment

I should have provided more context. It's a 15-team league, so I'll probably roll the dice with Maybin. I'd probably just screw up that roster spot anyway.

Comment

In Mock One, I took him as my O5 in Round 16, passing on some guys who will probably be solid. I hope I haven't doomed the kid.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Couldn't hurt to roll the dice but I have very low expectations. I would advise, though, that if Maybin starts the year off hot to put him on the block ASAP.
                            Probably good advice. He's not a money player on a winning roster, at this point. He's a flier for someone who has the roster space to take a chance for the future.

Comment

I bought in last year. The tools are nice, but he just looks lost at the plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X