16-team Non-PPR Non-Keeper HDID / Draft Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-team Non-PPR Non-Keeper HDID / Draft Commentary

First time playing in such a deep football league. I picked 15th out of 16. Draft round is in parentheses for each player, and some commentary on each pick is below. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

QB: Vick (1), Kolb (8), V. Young (14)
    RB: Turner (2), Best (3), Moreno (4), Starks (10)
    WR: Collie (5), Ju. Jones (6), M. Floyd (7), Bess (9), A. Roberts (12), Heyward-Bey (17)
    TE: Keller (11), J. Thomas (15)
    D/ST: Chiefs (13), Cardinals (16)
    K: Folk (18)

Round 1: Michael Vick

I usually go RB in the first round, but I couldn't pass up on Vick at this point, especially with Rodgers, Brady, Brees and P. Manning already off the board. In a 16-team league, it seems like there is an extra premium on QBs because (a) not everyone can start a real stud and (b) the second QB on some of the 16 teams is going to be terrible. When I made this pick, I mentally committed to grabbing another QB earlier than usual and also trying to snag Vince Young late in the draft as insurance.

Round 2: Michael Turner

With 16 teams drafting, I definitely needed to grab a running back in the first two rounds. I considered Frank Gore and Steven Jackson, but I go for the player in the best offense when in doubt. The Falcons offense should be dynamic this year, and hopefully the wide open passing game should make things easier on Turner.

Round 3: Jahvid Best

This was maybe my toughest pick of the draft. Some excellent WRs like Dez Bryant, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Marshall were still on the board, but I really wanted to secure my RB situation. I might have taken Felix Jones if he had fallen to me, but he went with the pick right before mine. Best should be very productive if he can stay on the field.

Round 4: Knowshon Moreno

Bryant and Wayne went with the two picks between my two picks, so I was basically deciding between Brandon Marshall and a third running back. Other RBs on the board included Wells, Mathews and Benson. The word on Moreno has been good so far during the pre-season. He might lose some TDs to McGahee, but I still think he'll be a good flex option for me. Still, in retrospect, I maybe should have gone with Marshall given what happened afterward.

Round 5: Austin Collie

Basically all of the WRs I was hoping would fall went before I got another pick. 28 picks is a long time to wait. Between my selection of Moreno and my Collie pick, the following WRs were taken: Steve Johnson, Colston, Brandon Marshall, Boldin, Holmes, Welker, Manningham, Rice, Harvin, Lloyd, Maclin, Ochocinco. I like Ochocinco a lot more than Collie and he went only a couple of picks before I took Collie - pretty frustrating. Collie seemed like the best WR out there to me. If he can stay healthy, he should be reasonably productive, but he's obviously not the ideal #1 WR.

Round 6: Julio Jones

Realizing my WR situation was looking a bit grim, I decided to take a risk. Jones has been getting rave reviews so far and he has the potential to outperform this draft slot. Like any rookie WR, he's a risk. While on the clock for this pick, I tried to trade Moreno for Dez Bryant and almost got the deal done, but the other owner decided to pass. If that deal had been made, I would have taken Hightower here, and I'd be a lot happier with my team.

Round 7: Malcolm Floyd

Trying to add some WR depth to make up for my lack of a real #1. If Jackson or Gates gets hurt, Floyd should see a nice jump in production. Even with both of them playing, he's playable at least against bad defenses in a 16-team league.

Round 8: Kevin Kolb

Like I said above, I knew I needed a solid #2 QB with Vick as my #1. I was very happy to land Kolb here. Cutler went the pick before me and Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel and Donovan McNabb all went in this round as well. I wasn't the only one to realize that QBs have added value in a 16-team league, but I still got a good value with my #2 QB.

Round 9: Davone Bess

Just looking for a WR who will get catches and can be used on bye weeks, in good matchups, etc. Need the depth given my top 2 WRs.

Round 10: James Starks

Love this pick. Starks has reportedly looked like the best RB in Packers camp. If he ends up the starting RB there, this might be the pick of the draft. Even in a time share, this is solid value.

Round 11: Dustin Keller

Not the best #1 TE, but I don't think this is a terrible situation in a 16-team league. Keller flashed his potential toward the beginning of last season. Hid production took a hit as Holmes became more involved, but it might pick back up with Edwards and Cotchery replaced by Burress and Mason.

Round 12: Andre Roberts

Second WR in what could be a dynamic passing game. Heap might really be the second option, but this seemed like a good risk.

Round 13: Chiefs D/ST

Waited longer than most to take my defense. Chiefs should be solid enough in a 16-team league.

Round 14: Vince Young

Was able to land Young late as insurance on Vick, as I had hoped.

Round 15: Julius Thomas

Getting a lot of press in Broncos camp. Supposedly might be a significant part of the passing game right from the start. Could end up supplanting Keller as my #1 TE almost right away.

Round 16: Cardinals D/ST

Not sure they will be a particularly usable backup, but with 16 teams drafting and many owners taking 2 defenses, most of the defenses are taken.

Round 17: Darrius Heyward-Bey

A few positive rumblings out of camp. Maybe the light comes on.

Round 18: Nick Folk

One of the last to take my kicker. Folk isn't the most accurate, but the Jets should at least score a decent amount of points and stall in the red zone somewhat frequently.
    Last edited by ; 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM.
Working...
X