My very 1st FFB draft tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My very 1st FFB draft tomorrow

After 20 years of FBB I've finally joined my 1st FFB league. Well, at least my 1st $ league so I'll actually take it seriously. I'm hoping to get some good advice from all you FB experts out there.

Gris sent me his SS so that was a great start, but I've got a handful of questions that the answers to which should be very helpful.

12-team standard, we start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 DEF, 1 IDP, and 8 BENCH!

TDs are 6 pts for QBs and there are pretty sizable bonus pts for long TDs (over 20 is 9 pts, over 50 is 12 pts). Last year, 19 of the top 20 scoring players were QBs.

We get 1 keeper and must give up that round's pick. I will be keeping Steve Johnson (17th rd). Other keepers include AP (1), Foster (4), McFadden (12), V Jackson (5). I don't know the rest of the keepers b/c teams don't have to decide until the draft (dumb rule IMO but whatever).

I have the 11th pick. It's hard to predict who will get picked but I'm guessing my choices will be b/w an A-tier QB (Rodgers, Vick & Brady will likely be gone), an A-tier WR (Johnsons will likely be gone as well as White), or a B-tier RB (MJD, Mendenhall, Gore, Forte, Turner will probably be the best left).

And finally, some questions! Who would you be targeting your 1st 2 rounds? WR/QB, WR/RB, WR/WR? I'm torn on whether to go after an elite QB or wait and pick up a guy like Stafford or Freeman later. What about the next two rounds? Should I take Gates if he's available? (very different ideas on TEs among the articles I've read, and since our Flex includes TEs not sure if that makes any difference)

Finally, here are the guys I'm targeting for later rounds, I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether they are guys worth targeting and what round I should be considering them.

RB
    Ingram
    M Lynch
    Spiller
    R Jennings
    D Carter
    Starks
    Murray
    Helu

WR
    Boldin
    Evans
    Knox
    Meachem
    Edwards
    Burleson
    Burress

I'm hoping to update this thread as the draft proceeds but I'm sure many of you will be drafting tomorrow night as well. TIA
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Well I just completed a mock from the 11th spot, here's how I came out. I was surprised CJ fell to me and not sure if he will tomorrow. He's not seriously going to hold out into the season is he? Hasn't TEN already stated they would make him the highest paid RB? Is that not enough?

QB Matt Schaub (4)
    RB1 Chris Johnson (1)
    RB2 Peyton Hillis (3)
    WR1 Calvin Johnson (2)
    WR2 Steve Johnson (6)
    TE Jimmy Graham (8)
    FLEX Marshawn Lynch (5)
    K Nate Kaeding (14)
    D/ST Ravens (12)
    Bench Sam Bradford (10)
    Bench Javon Ringer (11)
    Bench DeMarco Murry (13)
    Bench Austin Collie (9)
    Bench Julio Jones (7)
    Last edited by DMT; 08-26-2011, 05:32 PM.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Good luck!

Re Gates, my take on elite TEs is that they matter much more in PPR than in non-PPR. It appears your league is non-PPR, so I would wait on TE. Lots of attractive options this year.

Re QBs early, it depends on what else is still there. If the best QB on the board is a better value than the best RB or WR, then take him. If not, wait. If you haven't already, group each position into tiers -- the fewer guys remaining in the best tier left at a given position, the more likely you're going to need to take someone from that position at that point.

Some comments on your later targets:

RB
      Ingram -- Hyped rookie RBs tend to get overdrafted. He won't last as long as you think he might. I like him but there are a lot of mouths to feed in NO.
      M Lynch -- SEA's offense is totally uninspiring, so you can probably wait longer than the 5th to get him. The talent is there, are the attitude and O-Line?
      Spiller -- Buffalo's O-Line looks absolutely dreadful and he will at best be in a RBBC with Fred Jackson. Since this is not PPR, avoid.
      R Jennings -- Essential if you own MJD. Otherwise he will go too early for my taste.
      D Carter -- A nice flier in the very late rounds.
      Starks -- Looks much better than Grant in camp, from what I've heard. Could seize the job at some point during the season, and RB1 in that offense is money.
      Murray -- Could be huge if F. Jones gets hurt again. Otherwise, his role is unclear and is worth no more than a late-round flier.
      Helu -- Likely to be the man in 2012. This year, he will be a change-of-pace back but no more than that unless Hightower gets hurt.

WR
      Boldin -- Wildly inconsistent from week to week, but chemistry with Flacco should be better. Evans will open up the field for him. I have him around WR20 in non-PPR.
      Evans -- Speaking of wildly inconsistent, he's the ultimate boom-or-bust guy. Very frustrating to own.
      Knox -- Fast but terrible at running routes, so coaches can get frustrated with him. The CHI WR situation is muddled right now, and I wouldn't spend a single-digit pick on any of them.
      Meachem -- The NO WR situation is also muddled, but Meachem has looked good in camp and injuries to Colston and Moore may help him.
      Edwards -- Has underwhelmed except for one year, and has diddly squat at QB. Pass.
      Burleson -- Should put up some very nice numbers if Stafford can stay healthy.
      Burress -- A nice bye-week fill-in, but there is so much uncertainty with him that you can't count on him as anything more.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Thanks Erik. I've got the positions grouped into tiers but it's going to be a challenge determining who is the 'better value' across positions. I figure there will be 3-4 A-tier QBs available, but I have no idea if they'll all be gone by the time it gets to my 3rd round pick. Same for WRs but I'm almost certainly going to pick 1 WR with my 1st 2 picks. I'm just not sure if taking a high B-tier RB would be preferable to an A-tier QB or a 2nd A-tier WR (esp since I already have Johnson).

I'm speculating these players will be taken before I pick: Rice, Charles, McCoy, CJ, Vick, Rodgers, Brady, A Johnson, CJ2, and White. If that happens, which two would you (all) take of the following? Brees, Rivers, Romo, MJD, Turner, Mendenhall, Wallace, Fitzgerald, Jennings? (those are my top 3 rated at each position, maybe it's someone not listed as well)
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

If that happens, which two would you (all) take of the following?
          Fitzgerald and Mendenhall.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

if long TD's are the difference factor and QB's lead the scoring i'd make sure i got a good QB. Manning might be good value, Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson. Chris Johnson should be good value too. i kind of think there's a chance that situation might not get resolved. so then that would be a huge gamble. i think because of the scoring i might want to play a WR in the flex spot. i dunno maybe take WR, QB, RB, RB. i would make sure to get an elite QB and if i don't make sure i get Schaub. you already have Stevie Johnson so you really only need and elite WR and a decent one later for backup or flex. it depends on what players ppl are keeping. if ppl are keeping RB then they'll pick a different position maybe etc.. you want to get sure things in the first 4 rds and value later.

i would make sure to get an elite WR and an elite QB first or visversa. then depending on what ppl do get cute with RB's in rd 3 and 4. but if an elite WR is availible in rd 3 or 4 it might be tempting. with all the RBBC these days, who can say who's a sure thing like you can with WR's and QB's. just make sure you get somewhat decent RB's. Felix Jones, DeAngelo Williams, LeGarrette Blount, Mark Ingram, Mike Tolbert, Daniel Thomas, Brandon Jacobs, Fred Jackson.

actually that list looks kind of thin for RB's availible from rd 4 and on. i would WR, QB, RB in any order first 3 rds.

the really later RB's i would think about would be Starks Carter, Kendall Hunter, Michael Bush, Helu, Rashad Jennings. i don't like C.J. Spiller.

Comment

i would go Mendenhall and Brees or Mendenhall and Megatron then Manning or Schaub i don't like Fitzgerald, i think he's dumb. Anquan Boldin helped him a lot. great player tho. just not the same without Anquan.

in an ideal world it would be easy and someone makes the decision for you by taking Mendenhall and then you can just go Brees and Megatron.

i really like Jermichael Finley if you think he stays healthy, even with so many decent TE's this year i'd take him in the 5th rd.
              Last edited by ; 08-27-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Ultimate indicator of my ignorance: I had to look up who Megatron was.

But yes, if he's available I'm definitely taking him. Probably Brees as well considering he's my favorite player.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Ultimate indicator of my ignorance: I had to look up who Megatron was.

But yes, if he's available I'm definitely taking him. Probably Brees as well considering he's my favorite player.
                  hey, at least you looked it up. can't beat that nickname! but one of the things i like about WR's is one with great hands. i haven't been following Johnson but i know in his rookie year he didn't drop many balls. Dez Bryan is another as they said he only dropped like 2-3 balls about of 50 targets last year. but he doesn't have the formula of being the only good wr on a bad team playing from behind like Johnson does. that said you want to get good RB's playing on a good team with leads. and megatron can get injured. but you got the good idea. don't take what comes to you, target who you want and go after them. if ppl follow default rankings enough, all you need to do is take someone early than your ones step ahead of everyone in getting the players you've targeted. in my league i got 10 of the players i targeted. of course hopefully i targeted the right ones. and thats based on the skill of the player, the schedule of the team, and the scoring system.

Bree's has a good schedule. i don't like the fact he plays a divisional opponent in week 16 as divisional opponents play each other tougher but it is at home. he plays in week 14, 15, 16, @Ten (10 most points vs QB's), @Min (18 most points vs QB's), ATL (17 th most points vs QB's).

which isn't bad since thats for the average QB's and he would most likely do much better than the average. plus is other games are not very scary and he likes to throw the ball for longer TD's as NO likes to gunsling it. i would definitely target him.

the draft is all about targeting your players and predicting what the other owners will do. ...that said it's much easy when your drafting 6th instead of at one of the ends.

but i agree with everything Erik said. don't get trapped in picking the leftovers at a position. if everyone before you goes RB's than go WR. or if everyone goes WR go RB. at some point they'll be having to pickup your leftovers.

and good luck dude.

Comment

one more thing, if trades are allowed and mangers get cute and let a really good player fall in the draft but you already are set at that position. for example you just drafted Brees and you've waited 20 turns and every elite QB but Manning has been taken. don't let anopther owner get extreme value from someone just because everyone else is stupid. take that player even if it screwes up your plans. this is called drafting defensively. and protecting the league from stupidity. make sure it's a really elite player first, that has fallen way below his ranking. and then hold someone in the league hostage and make a trade.

Comment

drafting 2 elite QB's in football because the draft went ****ed up and the league is stupid is not like drafting 2 elite catchers in baseball. in baseball pppl won't trade with you for your extra catcher out of spite. but in football it's a different story. ppl have much greater needs in football than baseball. Manning definitely qualifies. you just can't let someone get away with getting him in rd 4 when all the elite QB's are taken in rd 2 and 3. and something like that is the only thing that should deter your plans.

edit we're talking Peyton and not Eli of course. obviously.

Comment

i guess i do think the Chris Johnson situation will get resolved. TEN is offering to make him the highest paid RB. i think he will give up his demands to be the highest paid player and will accept being the highest paid RB. they're probably just working out the details.

in that case i'd go Chris Johnson and Brees or visversa. then get a WR! pronto.

Comment

Thanks nully...yea if any of those players I expect to be gone somehow fall to me, I will take them. That includes CJ and Megatron. But the commish who has made the playoffs almost every year drafts #10 so I'm not expecting any miracles.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

this is what i would want to happen.

there i was at pick 11 and Chris Johnson was there so i took him. then i took Brees. knowing i was needed a WR i was hoping for Mike Wallace in rd 3 but he was taken so i took either V. Jackson, Miles, Wayne or DeSean Jackson in rd 3. then i realized Peyton Manning was still out there so i said **** it and took him in early rd 4. then realizing i was screwed at RB i then took Felix Jones or Ryan Mathews or DeAngelo Williams or LeGarrette Blount or Mark Ingram. then realzing i was still screwed at RB i took any of the previous ones mentioned before or if they were all gone, in rd 5 i took Jermichael Finley even tho it was tempting to take Matt Schaub but what the heck i can't do everything. then in rd 6, still desperately needing a RB i took Knowshon Moreno or Mike Tolbert or Beanie Wells or Cedric Benson or Daniel Thomas. then i said the hell with it and took PIT defense in rd 7 just to **** with everyone and start a run on defenses. in rd 7 i stayed the hell away from Ryan Grant because he's over 30 and lost a step and instead took Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin or Julio Jones or Kenny Britt or even Sidney Rice or A.J. Green. at rd 8 i almost **** myself when a few owners started taking kickers! so then i thought about Plaxico Burress (i do like Plax but he's no spring chicken now) Malcom Floyd or Steve Smith (car) or Pierre Garcon. i reminded myself to stay away from Roy Williams, i don't know why but he's just not popular. as a last resort in rd 8 i even wanted Lee Evans or even Michael Crabtree knowing that Braylon Edwards will put up better numbers than Crabtree, so i took Lee Evans because he's popular. then i went crazy on RB's and hoarded as many as i could. Brandon Jacobs just because he fell way too far. hell i might've even taken Jacobs in rd 8 because he came to camp in shape with a good attitude. then i took either Starks (maybe take Starks earlier, he has Grant value these days and will replace Grant at some point if Starks can stay healthy, Carter, Kendall Hunter, Michael Bush, Helu, Rashad Jennings.

then for my final pick i took a stupid Kicker. i took Alex Henery because they say he's the mostr accurate kicker in college history.

i didn't take a backup QB besides Manning who i will trade or a backup TE or Kicker or defense as all of them have late season bye weeks and then i will play FA for that. but i did hoard as many RB's as i could waiting for some of them to pan out.
                            Last edited by ; 08-27-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              this is what i would want to happen.

there i was at pick 11 and Chris Johnson was there so i took him. then i took Brees. knowing i was needed a WR i was hoping for Mike Wallace in rd 3 but he was taken so i took either V. Jackson, Miles, Wayne or DeSean Jackson in rd 3. then i realized Peyton Manning was still out there so i said **** it and took him in early rd 4. then realizing i was screwed at RB i then took Felix Jones or Ryan Mathews or DeAngelo Williams or LeGarrette Blount or Mark Ingram. then realzing i was still screwed at RB i took any of the previous ones mentioned before or if they were all gone, in rd 5 i took Jermichael Finley even tho it was tempting to take Matt Schaub but what the heck i can't do everything. then in rd 6, still desperately needing a RB i took Knowshon Moreno or Mike Tolbert or Beanie Wells or Cedric Benson or Daniel Thomas. then i said the hell with it and took PIT defense in rd 7 just to **** with everyone and start a run on defenses. in rd 7 i stayed the hell away from Ryan Grant because he's over 30 and lost a step and instead took Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin or Julio Jones or Kenny Britt or even Sidney Rice or A.J. Green. at rd 8 i almost **** myself when a few owners started taking kickers! so then i thought about Plaxico Burress (i do like Plax but he's no spring chicken now) Malcom Floyd or Steve Smith (car) or Pierre Garcon. i reminded myself to stay away from Roy Williams, i don't know why but he's just not popular. as a last resort in rd 8 i even wanted Lee Evans or even Michael Crabtree knowing that Braylon Edwards will put up better numbers than Crabtree, so i took Lee Evans because he's popular. then i went crazy on RB's and hoarded as many as i could. Brandon Jacobs just because he fell way too far. hell i might've even taken Jacobs in rd 8 because he came to camp in shape with a good attitude. then i took either Starks (maybe take Starks earlier, he has Grant value these days and will replace Grant at some point if Starks can stay healthy, Carter, Kendall Hunter, Michael Bush, Helu, Rashad Jennings.

then for my final pick i took a stupid Kicker. i took Alex Henery because they say he's the mostr accurate kicker in college history.

i didn't take a backup QB besides Manning who i will trade or a backup TE or Kicker or defense as all of them have late season by weeks and bye then i will play FA for that. but i did hoard as many RB's as i could waiting for some of them to pan out.
                              Awesome...I do plan to take Henery as he is a Husker (I was born and raised in Omaha).
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X