Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exceelent reads (aka what are you reading?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exceelent reads (aka what are you reading?)

I don't think we have resurrected this thread from the old board ...

I just finished Andre Agassi's Open on a slow Sunday afternoon. Not sure if it was referenced, but it's a great read, highly recommended whether you're a tennis fan or not.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Right now reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray", By Oscar Wilde. I really enjoy 19th century literature.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Best read? 1 and 1A

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia.

Just outstanding and explains a lot about how we got to where we are today in the middle east.
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Right now reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray", By Oscar Wilde. I really enjoy 19th century literature.
          I tell you, I still love reading most of Dickens. And althought Lord Dunsany barely makes the time cut, if you like fantasy, I highly recommend The Book of Wonder, a collection of short stories. It's out of copyright so you can find it on-line for free, as with most of the 19th century writings.

From the opening paragraph of "The Hoard of the Gibbelins", the first story in that collection:

The Gibbelins eat, as is well known, nothing less good than man. Their evil tower is joined to Terra Cognita, to the lands we know, by a bridge. Their hoard is beyond reason; avarice has no use for it; they have a separate cellar for emeralds and a separate cellar for sapphires; they have filled a hole with gold and dig it up when they need it. And the only use that is known for their ridiculous wealth is to attract to their larder a continual supply of food. In times of famine they have even been known to scatter rubies abroad, a little trail of them to some city of Man, and sure enough their larders would soon be full again.
          Last edited by Wonderboy; 02-06-2011, 09:27 PM.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I just finished reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang which is the story of three generations of ladies living under Communist China. Very good read.

I am currently reading The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller which I just started but looks pretty good. Plus, it will be a short read.

I just got my Kindle up and running so I will be using that soon. I plan on reading some of the classics which you can download for free. I've already downloaded Frankenstein which I have never read.
            拖裤子,
            放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Just finished reading Chuck Klosterman's Downtown Owl, the first fiction novel he's written, and really loved it. Tore through it within 2 days.

Currently getting close to finishing off John Steinbeck's East Of Eden. Very, very good book, though I still prefer his more comedic writing, Tortilla Flat and Cannery Row, in particular.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I just finished Battle Royale, the Japanese novel on which the cult movie was based. What an outstanding read. I love the movie, but wow... nothing like a 600 page novel to make you realize how insufficient the movie was in telling the story.

And I'm in the middle of 3 other books right now (not counting the 1/2 dozen I'm editing).

Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris -- Book 2 in the series on which True Blood was based. It's a trash read, but at least I get to imagine Anna Paquin naked often.

And Another Thing...: Book Six of Three Eion Colfer -- Can't go wrong with the Hitchiker's Guide series, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Colfer's style with it.

Acting For The Camera Tony Barr -- Akin to buying yet another fantasy mag to re-establish what you already know in hopes of finding just one more nugget to give you an advantage.
                Last edited by NakedRicci; 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM.
                -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Started to read Scorecasting. Very good so far.

Comment

"The Next Hundred Years" by Gordon Friedman, the head of Stratfor, is one of the best things I've read in a while.....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      "The Next Hundred Years" by Gordon Friedman, the head of Stratfor, is one of the best things I've read in a while.....
                      Looks interesting, might be my next purchase ... esp with a review on Amazon like this one ... "Futurologist Friedman entertainingly explains how America will bestride the world during this century"
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        Looks interesting, might be my next purchase ... esp with a review on Amazon like this one ... "Futurologist Friedman entertainingly explains how America will bestride the world during this century"
                        I got it from my public library!
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

About 20% through Let the Great World Spin by Collum McCann. Very engrossing so far, we'll see where it goes.

Comment

my mom gave me her hand me down Kindle after she got a new model for Christmas. I've been reading random things that she already had loaded on it. I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which was very good. Reading City of Thieves by David Benioff now. Not sure what my mom has for thieves.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

wannabegriffey's been reading his laptop's warranty, but I don't think he recommends it.

Comment

Working...
                              X