2K11: Eli Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Eli Manning

Let's talk about RJ's favorite whipping boy, who was probably delusional yesterday when he declared on the Michael Kay show that he's in "Tom Brady's class." Let's not get carried away, Eli.

But he is a solid, undervalued fantasy QB that generally costs far less than the stats should attain for you. Basically, he's not a QB that a fantasy owner seeks out, but once they get him, they feel like they have a solid option at the QB spot.

The good thing about Eli is the positives outweigh the really large negative.

Positives
    - has been steadily getting better throughout his 7-year career, as his completion % has increased from 53% to 63% from '05 to '10
    - two consecutive 4,000 yard campaigns
    - six straight seasons of 21+ TDs, including a career high 31 last year (4th in the NFL)
    - finished 5th in passing yards, 4th in passing TDs & 9th in completion % in 2010
    - is amazingly consistent as a fantasy performer: he's been the 5th - 14th ranked QB in fantasy points for the last six seasons, making him a solid low-end QB1
    - has an All Pro WR in Hakeem Nicks and an emerging threat in Mario Manningham, as well as a solid running game to take the pressure off
    - doesn't get sacked -- just 16 last year (Jay Cutler led with 52)
    - extremely durable -- he's never missed a game in his 7-year NFL career

Negatives
    - uhhh, those interceptions: an atrocious 25 INTs last season -- the second season of his career with 20+ picks
    - uhhh, those fumbles: 7 fumbles last year, 59 in his career. He's had two seasons of 13 fumbles
    - no running ability
    - with all of his turnovers, doesn't inspire confidence of getting the big play (that's less about fantasy, more about real-life)
    - lost a few key cogs : Kevin Boss, Steve Smith, a couple of offensive linemen

You'd have to believe the turnovers will come down -- in 2008, he only threw 10 INTs. I don't expect another 20+ INT season.

Overall, love him or hate him, you can bank on a full season from Eli and safely expect 3,800+ yards and 25+ TDs. If your league doesn't penalize for turnovers, he's even more valuable.

He is a low end QB1 but I think he will have a better season than last year when he was incredibly unlucky with tipped balls and receivers running the wrong routes. I have him as 11 among QBs.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      you can bank on a full season from Eli and safely expect 3,800+ yards and 25+ TDs.
      Agreed, solid value once all the bigger names go off the board.

Comment

Eli always fall to the low QB1 and high end QB2. His inconsistency is one of my favorite topics on Sirius Radio since it's based out of NYC.

Comment

I don't play fantasy football, but Eli played for years with the healthiest, longest-running quintet of offensive linemen - and good ones, to boot - in the last 40+ years. Losing some of that continuity is liable to hurt him more than some might think.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            I don't play fantasy football, but Eli played for years with the healthiest, longest-running quintet of offensive linemen - and good ones, to boot - in the last 40+ years. Losing some of that continuity is liable to hurt him more than some might think.
            I think that will mostly depend on Will Beatty. David Diehl was a terrible left tackle and moving him back to left guard is a good thing. Also Baas is a really smart player and will quickly replace O'Hara with no problems. The big question mark is Beatty who will be relied upon very heavily this season at tackle. If he fails, it could be ugly. If he steps up I think it'll be a better situation overall.

Comment

If I ever have Eli on my squad I make sure I draft another QB for the months of November and December. That is when he implodes, the Giants tank, and it will kill your team.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                If I ever have Eli on my squad I make sure I draft another QB for the months of November and December. That is when he implodes, the Giants tank, and it will kill your team.
                Maybe that was earlier in his career, but that was not the case in '09 and '10.

Comment

Another factor is the loss of Steve Smith, who was as reliable a possession receiver as one could have, and thus a constant security blanket for Eli. Is anyone else going to be able to fill that role?
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Another factor is the loss of Steve Smith, who was as reliable a possession receiver as one could have, and thus a constant security blanket for Eli. Is anyone else going to be able to fill that role?
                    But he lost Smith midway through last season as well (he had just 48 catches for 525 yds) and didn't miss a beat.

The current thinking though is Hixon or Barden will step up as the flanker and they'll move Manningham into the slot.

Comment

Working...
                    X