2K11: Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Tsuyoshi Nishioka is a 26 year old Japanese star MI, now with Minnesota. He owns Japanese Gold Gloves at both 2B and SS. JJ hardy may have, literally, been traded to make room for this guy. Given his defensive prowess, steady play at 2B or SS is almost a given, unless he hits sub-.200, and he carries a .287 career BA--in Japanese leagues. He is an All Star over there and played on the Olympic team.

"Over there" being both the problem and the edge. MLB conversions from Japanese leagues have been spotty. Ichiro is one hand, Godzilla on the other. He can play SS, but his arm is more 2B. He has little power, but good speed.

So, we have a player, who could get 550 AB for the Twins, but most mixed league owners have never heard of him. Any thoughts on how to value this guy would be appreciated.

This was originally written on November 9th. It has moved back to the front page as a reference for Twins fans who want to read about their newest potential acquisition. On Monday, a story that had…

Tsuyoshi Nishioka Japanese & Minor Leagues Statistics including batting, fielding, prospect rankings and more on Baseball-Reference.com

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Tsuyoshi Nishioka is a 26 year old Japanese star MI, now with Minnesota. He owns Japanese Gold Gloves at both 2B and SS. JJ hardy may have, literally, been traded to make room for this guy. Given his defensive prowess, steady play at 2B or SS is almost a given, unless he hits sub-.200, and he carries a .287 career BA--in Japanese leagues. He is an All Star over there and played on the Olympic team.

"Over there" being both the problem and the edge. MLB conversions from Japanese leagues have been spotty. Ichiro is one hand, Godzilla on the other. He can play SS, but his arm is more 2B. He has little power, but good speed.

So, we have a player, who could get 550 AB for the Twins, but most mixed league owners have never heard of him. Any thoughts on how to value this guy would be appreciated.

This was originally written on November 9th. It has moved back to the front page as a reference for Twins fans who want to read about their newest potential acquisition. On Monday, a story that had…

Tsuyoshi Nishioka Japanese & Minor Leagues Statistics including batting, fielding, prospect rankings and more on Baseball-Reference.com

J
    Already a thread started on him in the 2011 sticky thread.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hoping to get more input over here...in our new house.

I think people are going to overpay for him at auction...and it won't be me. I do not think is BA is good enough to be a major help in fantasy.

This is a good one to bring out early when money is plentiful.

I think he may be a better real baseball player than fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Already a thread started on him in the 2011 sticky thread.
        Old Forum.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-283842

Ten years after Ichiro made his way to the Seattle Mariners, Major League Baseball is still waiting for another Japanese position player that it can christen as the next Ichiro.

Can it be Nishioka? He does share a few traits (other than nationality) with the eventual Hall of Famer.

The parallels: Nishioka is 26 years old and just won a Japanese batting title with a .346 average (via 206 hits) in 2010. Ichiro was just a year older when he came to the U.S. at 27, when he was a seven-time defending NPB batting champion. Both are speedy leadoff hitters and smack the ball with a similar swing that Ichiro has already made iconic in the states.

The similarities, though, probably end there. Nishioka is a switch-hitting infielder who would probably play second base in the major leagues.

Also, while Ichiro has been a model of endurance in right field, Nishioka has struggled with injuries so far in his career, only playing more than 130 games in one season over in Japan. That won't get it done over here (or, presumably, at the negotiating table).

I really like this guy in Minnesota. No pressure, doesn't care about the cavernous outfield reducing his HRs (like Ichiro in Safeco).

ZIPS has him at 281/337/403 with 38 steals (according to that link). That would be a pretty sweet roto season.

Originally posted by Hornsby
        I think that the steal projections are very generous. If he had a 25 steals, I'd consider that a good year. Learning US baseball, new pitchers, the language barrier, and his injury history, all play into me being more conservative. I do think that he'll do a little better in OBP, since it looks like he has a decent eye.
        Did not catch him with the pitchers back when. Looks like that was corrected.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I think a lot of owners will shy away from him, maybe with good reason. Seems to me to be a low end risk -- if you can get him late or for a few bucks, he could turn a very nice profit. If not, he is easily replaceable. So maybe a low risk/medium reward player.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I've read a couple of interviews with him and he is supremely confident in his ability to excel in Major League Baseball. When his name first came up I vaguely recall reading something about him being a late bloomer with the bat, related to always being hurt. But that once he was healthy he proved to be a very good hitter. Unfortunately, I can't find the article.

Comment

Nishioka's been playing well on a rehab assignment and likely will be activated by the Twins next week. He's been playing SS as well -- Twin fans, does it look like he's the SS, or will he remain at 2B?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Nishioka's been playing well on a rehab assignment and likely will be activated by the Twins next week. He's been playing SS as well -- Twin fans, does it look like he's the SS, or will he remain at 2B?
                and who is his upside, downside and likely equivalent?

Comment

sounds like Gardenhire doesnt want him active til he gets more rehab games under his belt.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

The Twins have been working Yoshi at SS and plan on him being there with Casilla sliding to second base upon his return.

Hammer is correct; Gardy wants Yoshi to be in full form before he comes back.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      and who is his upside, downside and likely equivalent?
                      any guesses on this for the rest of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        any guesses on this for the rest of the season?
                        This is really tough for me, as we've seen so small a sample.

From reports, I'd say he could be on the upside Derek Jeter w/o the power. High BA, runs and SB's.

downside...well at the very bottom I'd say Willie Bloomquist.

likely equivalent...I'd have to go Howie Kendrick.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said Tsuyoshi Nishioka (fractured fibula) will play three rehab games with Triple-A Rochester and "should be able to join us by mid-week."
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

his activation is planned for tomorrow. Is he going to play SS, or is it back to 2B?

Comment

I would guess SS, since Casilla is much better at 2B.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X