Corner Infield Upside Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Infield Upside Candidates

It's thinner than it usually is this year, I don't know about the rest of you but I'll be deciding between a lot of these guys this year

Ian Stewart
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Garrett Jones
    Kila Kia'aihue
    Justin Smoak
    Brett Wallace
    Ike Davis
    Freddie Freeman
    Dayan Viciendo
    Matt LaPorta

Am I missing anyone? are any of these guys unusually high on your list?

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
    It's thinner than it usually is this year, I don't know about the rest of you but I'll be deciding between a lot of these guys this year

Ian Stewart
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Garrett Jones
    Kila Kia'aihue
    Justin Smoak
    Brett Wallace
    Ike Davis
    Freddie Freeman
    Dayan Viciendo
    Matt LaPorta

Am I missing anyone? are any of these guys unusually high on your list?
    I like Encarnacion the most of the guys on the list, possibly because of how he sometimes got jerked around in Cincinnati, and possibly because this could be his last chance to be a regular.

Next, Davis, Freeman, and Smoak, in that order, because they don't appear to have competition for their respective 1B jobs.

Stewart has been mediocre at best, and Colorado's possible pursuit of Michael Young doesn't bode well for him. Jones, OTOH, could benefit from less playing time, if he platoons in LF with Matt Diaz (check out Jones' numbers vs. LHP, ugh).

Viciedo has good power, but I'm not sure his manager is impressed with him. Ka'aihue has good power, too, but management seems actively determined to never give him a full chance.

Wallace and LaPorta haven't shown much if anything at the major league level yet.

FWIW, here's where they've gone in Mock One--Davis 7.16, Stewart 7.18, Freeman 13.02, LaPorta 13.09, Encarnacion 13.18. We're in round 14 and the other five are still available. I have two other corner guys to recommend, but since they're also unpicked so far, I won't name them.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

If you are going to mention Ike Davis on this list than I would think Gaby Sanchez belongs on it.

I would add Ty Wigginton, David Freese, Chase Headley, Carlos Pena.

And what about Pablo Sandoval? Two years go amazing, last year not so much. He is slimmed down and more focused. Will owners buy into the hype? Will they be skeptical? Maybe somewhere in the middle. Could be good value if we are gambling.

Comment

predictions

Ian Stewart - may be out of a job by next week

Edwin Encarnacion - I like him this year but ext year he is probably a dh only

Garrett Jones - This is probably his last year with the Pirates who won't have a spot for him in 2012.

Kila Kia'aihue - Traded at some point (or maybe just banished) when Hosmer arrives.

Justin Smoak - He'll be ok I think and a hot pick next year.

Brett Wallace - It looks like his skill has eroded but I like him more than most. I think he'll hit for average and hit 20 homers if they leave him alone.

Ike Davis - He's an aerage first baseman, the Mets may not be satisfied with that.

Freddie Freeman - A much better hitter than most think, he's an all-star and rookie of the year.

Dayan Viciendo - He won't get the at-bats.

Matt LaPorta - He'll be okay but still disappointing.

Comment

I do not get the hype on Smoak. There is no future in the guy. I know he's only 25, but he is also a poor fielding 1B/DH with no power. This year he plays, for lack of a decent alternative, but next year? September?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I do not get the hype on Smoak. There is no future in the guy. I know he's only 25, but he is also a poor fielding 1B/DH with no power. This year he plays, for lack of a decent alternative, but next year? September?

J
            22 home runs last year, 13 of them in his first taste of the majors and you say he has no power?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
              22 home runs last year, 13 of them in his first taste of the majors and you say he has no power?
              OK, limited power. And he strikes out 20+% of the time, even in the minors.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'll throw Chris Johnson out there. Can he get to 25 HR?

Comment

Logan Morrison
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I like the Smoak monster. He's going to play, Safeco is less evil for lefties, and look what became of the last two 1Bs that TEX traded away (Teix and AGonz). I'm not 100% sold (walk rate cratered after trade to SEA, not many doubles to portend future power) but as a $1 guy I will take a flier. Plus he has an awesome nickname.

Ike Davis is not under the radar... he's miles above it. I expect him to be overdrafted in most leagues. NYC first baseman who gets on Sportscenter for his glove? No thanks. I do like him as a player but I think he'll go way too high for me.

Other than that, I feel like a lot of these guys you could just throw into a hat and whatever you pulled out would be the same.

In general, I like: Chris Johnson, Smoak, EE, LaPorta, Freeman, Ike (but not at what he'll cost you)

In general, I don't like: Brett Wallace, Garrett Jones, Viciedo, Kila

I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other on Stewart. I think I like him more than the Rox, though

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I like Encarnacion the most of the guys on the list, possibly because of how he sometimes got jerked around in Cincinnati, and possibly because this could be his last chance to be a regular.
                      Agree, but I've been thinking that for years. But he seems to be on a lot of sleeper lists this year.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I would take Ike Davis easily before EE.

EE is over hyped and so far disappoints.

Comment

Hollow profile for power/speed, but Daric Barton has an awesome EYE and would only need a little bump in power or speed to become very useful.
                          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                            Hollow profile for power/speed, but Daric Barton has an awesome EYE and would only need a little bump in power or speed to become very useful.
                            Ya know, I almost roger'd up and listed this guy. Thought for a corner IF though the lack of power would scare people away. I've never played in an NL/AL Only league, but I would guess that this guy could have some value in an AL Only league for sure. Hell, even in real deep mixers with flex spots he could help out. He walked 100 times least year in his first full year in the bigs. Ridic.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                              Good call (or at least I hope so since I have him for $1 in RJEL).
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X