Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pujols give a home team discount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Pujols give a home team discount?

Rotorworld is saying that the Cards are balking at Pujols salary expectations.

As the best player in baseball, he deserves the best salary. That said should he give the Cards a home team discount? If yes how much?

If he chooses to leave, who can pony up the money?

I don't think he should give them a home town discount. However, I don't think it's realistic to expect an ARod contract. Say what you will about the Yanks, but there is only one team like them and other teams can't give out that kind of money. Even then Yanks admitted that ARod's contract was a mistake and too much money.

Bottom line, just because one team makes a mistake I don't think other teams should have to follow suit. Can another team give him 10 years at $250-$275M? I doubt it.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Without the Yankees and the Red Sox in the mix, I just can't see how he's going to get the necessary bidding war going. I think the Cardinals and their fans got really lucky on the timing with Pujols. The Cubs could flex their financial might in this situation, but I doubt they will.

Also, when ARod got his precedent setting contract from the Rangers he was Pujols playing SS. I think that makes a huge difference in the way his value is viewed by teams. You can settle for a lot of other 1B's and approach the same contribution, you weren't going to get ARod's contribution from any other SS's.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

i don't think he *should* give them a home team discount, but if he is comfortable, likes the city, likes the fans, wants to stay there, then it's worth forgoing a bit of salary. It's not owed to St. Louis, but it's part of negotiations if Pujols wants to stay.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          Without the Yankees and the Red Sox in the mix, I just can't see how he's going to get the necessary bidding war going. I think the Cardinals and their fans got really lucky on the timing with Pujols. The Cubs could flex their financial might in this situation, but I doubt they will.

Also, when ARod got his precedent setting contract from the Rangers he was Pujols playing SS. I think that makes a huge difference in the way his value is viewed by teams. You can settle for a lot of other 1B's and approach the same contribution, you weren't going to get ARod's contribution from any other SS's.
          I am not sure how deep the pockets of the new Cubs owners are.

They are clearing a lot of salary after this year. I have heard rumors of Fielder. It is hard to even dream about Pujols.

Comment

Outside of Yankees and Red Sox, the largest baseball contracts are:
            Joe Mauer, 8 year, 184 mill
            Troy Tulo, 10 year, 157.75 mill

I dont see how Pujols can possibly get less than 10 year, 200 mill, even with hometown discount. Even if Red Sox and Yankees are not involved.

Comment

No. Pujols should not give a home town discount to the Cardinals but he could be reasonable about it. A ten year contract for $250,000,000 wouldn't qualify as a discount in my book but it would be reasonable. Even more so if he allows the Cards to defer ten or even more percent as a sort of pension plan. That way he gets his money without ruining the team's ability to compete.

But I think plenty of teams will be interested in giving him a huge contract, the Cubs certainly, The first big splash for the new ownership. The Angels, they can move Morales to DH or even left field. The Blue Jays, though they probably have a better shot at Prince Fielder. The Dodgers who need a guy like Pujols in the worse way. The Mets could be in it, they'll have cleared salary and will want to make a splash.

Lots of teams would pay for the best player in the game.

Comment

Pretty much everything I was thinking when I read this thread title has been mentioned in the previous posts. Should he? No. I agree with BIGJON's contract of $250 including deferred money being a logical way to make this work and be to everyones satisfaction.

Comment

I suspect that the number of years is a big issue. Considering his age an eight year contact would probably be a lot more palatable. Eight years for 240 seems like a reasonable asking price.

Comment

It would be nice to see him stay in STL but isn't $250M/10 with deferrals a huge discount. A-Rods deal was actually $305M/10 with the incentives that looked to be slam dunks when he signed it. I mean if he doesn't hit those milestones (say for instance he fails to pass Bonds) was the $293M/10 remotely worth it? A-Rod wasn't a SS when he did that mega deal and I believe he was a yr senior to what Albert will "allegedly" be next winter, to boot. I realize A-Rod's deal is absurd, even comically tragic with the FO huffing and puffing about him never being a Yankee if he exercised the opt out. BTW the PR ploy of "firing his agent" was priceless too. That said his deal sets the bar. I really don't see Pujols taking 50+M less even if it costs him finishing his career in STL.

Comment

I don't care how good puhjos has been and/or is expected to be, spending ONE QUARTER A BILLION DOLLARS ON ONE PLAYER is plain stupid....ESPECIALLY a first base man.

Comment

Should anyone ever pitch to Pujols?
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                          It would be nice to see him stay in STL but isn't $250M/10 with deferrals a huge discount. A-Rods deal was actually $305M/10 with the incentives that looked to be slam dunks when he signed it. I mean if he doesn't hit those milestones (say for instance he fails to pass Bonds) was the $293M/10 remotely worth it? A-Rod wasn't a SS when he did that mega deal and I believe he was a yr senior to what Albert will "allegedly" be next winter, to boot. I realize A-Rod's deal is absurd, even comically tragic with the FO huffing and puffing about him never being a Yankee if he exercised the opt out. BTW the PR ploy of "firing his agent" was priceless too. That said his deal sets the bar. I really don't see Pujols taking 50+M less even if it costs him finishing his career in STL.
                          When you make $250,000,000 there isn't a discount no matter what anyone else got.

Comment

He absolutely should not give the Cards a discount because he's always deep down in his heart wanted to be a Cub and bring that franchise its first WS title in over a century.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              He absolutely should not give the Cards a discount because he's always deep down in his heart wanted to be a Cub and bring that franchise its first WS title in over a century.

I really like your thinking on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X