Deion Sanders
    Marshall Faulk
    Shannon Sharpe
    Richard Dent
    Ed Sabol

2 Senior Committee inductees:

Chris Hanburger
    Les Richter

I really don't have a problem with any one here other than Richter.

I was down on Dent at first....but then I realized from the stats and highlights on the show that he was worthy.

I'll probably be driving one of the old-timers or Ed Sabol.

I'd like to get Sabol since I drove his son, Steve, when he was awarded the Pete Rozelle media award back in the mid-90's.

This year was a tough year to leave someone out....I still think Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin will all get in some day...but with only 5 modern-era players per year...it could take awhile.

They really need to change the rules and only induct ONE senior committee member per year.

Oh well....can't wait until August!

Hey, just my announcement.

Gris

Hanburger played for George Allen's "Over the Hill Gang" - the Redskins traded away their No. 1 pick every year from 1969-79 (then kept the pick in 1980-81-83 and picked Art Monk, Mark May and Darrell Green, not bad).

Heck, they swapped their first SEVEN picks in 1972 (in a 17-round draft) and the top 3 picks in 1973-79.

Bunch of old vets chasing a ring that never quite came until right after they gave up on that plan - you'll get some great stories there I'm sure...
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It's a shame when Dermontti Dawson, arguably the greatest center of all-time doesn't get elected. a joke.

As great as Faulk, Sharpe, and Dent were, none of them were considered in the top three of their position of all-time as Dawson is. Webster, Stephenson and Dawson the three greatest centers in NFL history.
      Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-05-2011, 10:49 PM.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        It's a shame when Dermontti Dawson, arguably the greatest center of all-time doesn't get elected. a joke.

As great as Faulk, Sharpe, and Dent were, none of them were considered in the top three of their position of all-time as Dawson is. Webster, Stephenson and Dawson the three greatest centers in NFL history.
        I have never heard that argument. I give you Webster and Stephenson though. You would just have to show that he was better than, say, Tom Nalen and Mark Stepnoski.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-06-2011, 12:50 AM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I have not generally heard a "wow, the Steelers can't catch a break on all-time Hall of Fame voting" before this year.

Perception generally is they have been well-treated, I thought......
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

So, what is Jim Otto? Chop liver?

I don't disagree with Dawson being a HOF....but one of the three greatest of all-time...not buying it.

Comment

Hanburger!!!!!!!!!

Comment

looks like I am coming to Canton Gris.

SHARPE!!!!!!
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                  They really need to change the rules and only induct ONE senior committee member per year.
                  Amen, brother.

And a second amen from the congregation. But, man, Otto's walk to the podium for his induction had to be about the most painful thing I've watched. Talk about a guy who left everything out on the field, including his future health and even ability to walk.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Any truth to the rumor that Shannon Sharpe will be running in the Kentucky Derby the week before he goes to Canton?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      I have not generally heard a "wow, the Steelers can't catch a break on all-time Hall of Fame voting" before this year.

Perception generally is they have been well-treated, I thought......
                      A lot of former Steelers have been victims of the numbers game. That is, the number of former Steelers already in the HOF. Joe Greene overshadowed LC Greenwood. Mel blount overshadowed Donnie Shell. Lambert and Ham overshadowed Andy Russell. The 70's team creates a bias against players like Dawson and Bettis when it comes to getting votes. I guess that talk of building a HOF wing just for all of the Steelers really rubbed some people the wrong way.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

I don't disagree with Dawson being a HOF....but one of the three greatest of all-time...not buying it.
                        Jim Otto was awesome.

Dawson practically invented the pulling center:

Dawson did that and more. He revolutionized the position because he also had such athletic ability, quickness and speed that he often led sweeps around end, blocked men not just in front of him but to his right, and rarely needed a double-team to block a defensive lineman as most centers did.

Tunch Ilkin, a two-time Pro Bowl right tackle, played on the offensive line with Webster and then with Dawson, and played throughout Stephenson's era.

"In my day, we always argued with guys around the league who was better, Webby or Dwight Stephenson," Ilkin said. "Everyone who picked Dwight picked him because of his athleticism. Those who pick Webby picked him because of his strength, toughness and power.

"If you put them both together, you've got Dermontti Dawson."
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          looks like I am coming to Canton Gris.

SHARPE!!!!!!
                          Yeah, I may have to put in my "bid" for driving Shannon.

That would be awesome if you could come in!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Hanburger!!!!!!!!!
                            I thought of you, Jason, when Chris was announced. I loved watching him in the 70's with his "Hang Man" tackling.....of course, he would be fined and banned from playing today if he tackled like that....but back then it was fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              A lot of former Steelers have been victims of the numbers game. That is, the number of former Steelers already in the HOF. Joe Greene overshadowed LC Greenwood. Mel blount overshadowed Donnie Shell. Lambert and Ham overshadowed Andy Russell. The 70's team creates a bias against players like Dawson and Bettis when it comes to getting votes. I guess that talk of building a HOF wing just for all of the Steelers really rubbed some people the wrong way.

Who in the world did Lynn Swann bribe to get into the HOF?
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                              X