UFC 126: Deepest Card in UFC History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC 126: Deepest Card in UFC History?

If you've been curious abou the sport of MMA, tonight's UFC card may be the deepest in the companies history.

One of the reasons for this is that the UFC has contracted its sister company the WEC into the UFC.

For years the WEC has been the home to MMA best little guys, now they are starting to make an impact on MMA's biggest stage.

Tonight's card is headline by P4P and middleweight kingpin Anderson "The Spider" Silva taking on fellow Brazilian and UFC legend Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort. This matchup has been a fight that has been dreamed about for a decade. If you want to see a stand up war this is your ticket. Along with Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell these are the top strikers in the history of the UFC.

The co-main event features 2 of the company's longest standing fan favorites and former world champions Rich Franklin vs. Forrest Griffin. This is another matchup of styles which should be very appealing to the casual fan.

In perhaps the most anticipated top prospect or up and come match in company history Johnny "Bones" Jones vs. Ryan "Darth" Bader will have the audience at a fever pitch early in the pay per view show.

That top 3 fights rivals (if not quite matching) the top 3 of UFC 100. But what can set this card apart is the added depth of some of the best sub 155 lb fighters in the sport.

Opening the Pay Per View broadcast will be the UFC debut of the top 135er in the history of MMA making his UFC debut, Miguel Angel Torres, he'll be fighting an always game Antonio Banuelos. This fight will be in hyper drive for those who are use to only seeing UFC cards.

Spike TV will be showing 2 preliminary fights the hour prior to the PPV card starting with a top contenders match at 145 with Chad "Money" Mendes taking on top Japanese fighter Michihiro Omigawa. In my opinion the winner of the fight will be a true #1 contender to face world champion Jose Aldo sometime in the future.

In another potentially fan pleasing pleasing bout former WEC lightweight world champion Donald "The Cowboy" Cerrone takes on Brit Paul Kelly.

And also in a 1st for the UFC a fight will be telecast live on FaceBook, Japanese Super Star Kid Yamamoto makes his UFC and US debut against super talent Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson at 8 p.m. EST. I would almost guarantee that this fight also makes it onto the PPV broadcast as a space filler. Yamamoto is widely considered the biggest sports star in all of Japan.

I am extremely excited for this card tonight, and here's to hoping that some knew eyes are drawn to the world's fastest growing sport!!!
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Why do you guys watch and enjoy this stuff? Just curious as to why violence excites people.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Mixed Martial arts is sport...and highly entertaining...whining and complaining...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Why do you guys watch and enjoy this stuff? Just curious as to why violence excites people.
        Honestly to me it is not about the violence.

I grew up a huge boxing fan who always wondered about boxing vs. karate (and other fighting disciplines). I went to middle and high school in Torrance, Ca. and was still lving there when the UFC started in the early 90's. At first is was interesting to see the different disciplines vs. each other but soon it was just a violent spectacle and I lost interest.

However the Zuffa years have scene it become a legitmate sport with regulations. To me it has far surpassed boxing as true indication of fighting technique and strategy.

Now I'm not going to say I don't like a good old fashion brawl. But I like even more the intertwining of different fighting skills and strategies. There is nothing as interesting to me in sports than seeing great transition work in grappling (with the threat of strikes). The amounts of ways one fighter can win makes for a level of unknown and unexpected finsishes and outcomes that truely make the sport one of a kind.

Something that completely sets the sport apart from boxing is the fact that there is usually much more than 1 fight of interest per card. Tonights shows that point to an extreme with 7 fights all of which I have great interest in.
        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Well said. MMA, Boxing, Football, Hockey...they are all violent...and Football is probably the most violent of them all.

Comment

If you knew a library with a good reference desk, I'm sure that you could find reams of material as to why people like violence. ;0
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              If you knew a library with a good reference desk, I'm sure that you could find reams of material as to why people like violence. ;0
              just don't ask the librarian any questions, they are scary mother ****ers.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                i was looking for real answers from real people ...not psychological studies.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                  Well said. MMA, Boxing, Football, Hockey...they are all violent...and Football is probably the most violent of them all.
                  but the ultimate goal in most sports isn't hurting your oppoent(s)

Comment

is that Kimbo Slice fighting tonight

Comment

The ultimate goal in MMA is to hurt your opponent according to who? I always thought it was to win.

Comment

Neither is it in MMA. It is a fight sport though so there is no denying that violence is involved. The perpetuated stereotype which you either only understand or you are just uninformed (I'm not sure of you honestly desire to be informed) on was popularized by the incarnation of the sport which is 15 years old. Sadly to say that view from the early to mid 90's is still one which many still have their view tinted by.

Their are many fans I must admit that like it because of the violence, but is that much different from apart of NasCar fans, or football, or hockey, or even drivers driving by an accident. But to paint the entire sport in that way is a view brought on my ignorance to the actual competition and training that goes into modern mixed martial arts,

Comment

Just curious, is MMA completely crooked and fixed like boxing or no?
                          I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

The former #1 organization in the world PrideFC in Japan met it's demise of Yakusa rumored ties. (They lost their national television deal), but the UFC and other named organizations in the U.S. have very solid reputations. The fact that the UFC brand identification is such a major part of the credibility of the company makes things to be on solid ground.

Comment

Glad to see an MMA thread... very excited for tonight's event. Three really strong matchups headline the card and some good undercard fights that interest me. I haven't actually seen Kid Yamamoto fight yet so I'm intrigued if his US debut will be better than Takanori Gomi and some other Japanese stars (PRIDE fighters mainly).

For the record, I'm taking Franklin by decision, Jones by TKO and Spider by TKO.

Comment

Working...
                              X