Vlad to O's - 1yr/$8M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlad to O's - 1yr/$8M

Pie's PT takes the biggest hit as does the O's OF defense with Birther Scott taking over in LF

Nice deal for him, not sure I like it from the O's perspective tho
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
      Nice deal for him, not sure I like it from the O's perspective tho
      Agreed, I think that they way overpaid for him, given the fact that it didn't seem like anyone else was in the bidding. Also don't like it from the standpoint of the O's needing to develop young players like Pie...he needs 500 AB's to see if there's anything there at all.

That said, Vladdy and Scott are really nice trade chips for the O's to have when they're 20 games out in July...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Any opinion on how will Vlad do in Baltimore?

Comment

All things considered, that seems like a very foolish signing by Baltimore.

Comment

great park for (RH) HR. He might have a dominant stretch in him again.
            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

That said, Vladdy and Scott are really nice trade chips for the O's to have when they're 20 games out in July...
              you mean in may? sigh. it's tough to be an O's fan in this century...
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                you mean in may? sigh. it's tough to be an O's fan in this century...
                Could be worse. You could be a Pirates fan. Or a Royals fan.

Back to the subject--I agree with popeye. This reeks of being an Angelos decision, unnecessary, short-sighted, and expensive.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  Back to the subject--I agree with popeye. This reeks of being an Angelos decision, unnecessary, short-sighted, and expensive.
                  Keep in mind that the Orioles are not just competing in the AL East, they're competing with the Nationals for fans. Good seats are still available.

Comment

were going to the super bowl now. seriously though I know I'm a big homer and doing lots of wishful thinking but I think we may be really good. There is potential for a winning team here. 1-9 we look good. If everyone does what they are capable of doing we are solid.

I hope Vlad still has some left though his age and knees worry most.

Comment

Lots of poo pooing the move, but I dont think its all bad. IRL, Vlad is a draw, a big name, he will put fannies in the seats, and 8 mill is not at all unreasonable when you look at his production. Just because Orioles "could" have been hard asses and not budged from 4 mill, and then have Vlad sit out the year or until a big money team loses a player to injury and calls Vlad in late April, because the guy is way too proud, would not have played for that, and I dont think he should have had to, with borderline nothing players making soo much more than 8 mill.

Comment

I'm with gcstomp on this one. $8 MM is chump change in today's baseball market, and it's only a one-year deal. I see a lot of upside for the O's here - if Vlad hits like last year, someone will deal for him and the O's have an opportunity to get a half-decent minor league player in the deal and dump the remainder of the contract. If Vlad hits, and by some miracle, the O's are competitive, it'll help draw fans away from the Nats. Sure, Vlad could get hurt and/or just suck, but then the O's are off the hook at the end of the year anyway.

Of course, my view might be colored by my thinking that Pie is nothing more than a AAAA player....
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
                          were going to the super bowl now. seriously though I know I'm a big homer and doing lots of wishful thinking but I think we may be really good. There is potential for a winning team here. 1-9 we look good. If everyone does what they are capable of doing we are solid.

I hope Vlad still has some left though his age and knees worry most.
                          Whatcha gonna do for pitching?

If they trade Vlad during the season, they HAVE to get pitchers. Other than Matusz, the ones they have are unimpressive at best.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Great move for O's.

Projected lineup:

Roberts
                            Markakis
                            D. Lee
                            Guerrero
                            Scott
                            Reynolds
                            Jones
                            Wieters
                            Hardy

Thats pretty good. On paper you won't many lineups better.

Comment

Originally posted by GTAXI View Post
                              Great move for O's.

Projected lineup:

Roberts
                              Markakis
                              D. Lee
                              Guerrero
                              Scott
                              Reynolds
                              Jones
                              Wieters
                              Hardy

Thats pretty good. On paper you won't many lineups better.
                              Will be interesting to see how the lineup shakes out. However it does, it looks deep and solid to me. How many teams have an 8-hole hitter better than Wieters?

Comment

Working...
                              X