X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Vs Freeman

good comp article

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/...reddie-freeman
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Yes it is.

I take Belt. I just home he make the big club so he is in the auction. Otherwise 1st pick in the reserve will grab him.

Comment

I'll take Freeman, but it is close (and purely homerism on my part). The power output of both seems to be the crucial question and is unknown on both sides.

Comment

I have both in my minors, so I hope they both pan out. Short term, it is hard to ignore how amazing Belt was last year. He seems to be ahead in the power department. Freeman certainly was no slouch either, outperforming expectations and really impressing at AAA. I think Belt is ahead for right now, but Freeman is still so young, he certainly has the growth potential to pull ahead eventually.

Comment

We were discussing Belt in another thread. That article is helpful, on one point especially. Huff is an OF playing 1B, whereas Belt seems to be a natural CI. Much as I shy from predicting prospects get shots in SF (read B Posey), it looks like they may want Belt as soon as possible.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Who would Huff bump in the OF if they call up Belt to play 1b? Also, I've read that Belt is athletic enough to play the OF if he had to.

Comment

How does Yonder Alonso stack up vs. both of them?
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                How does Yonder Alonso stack up vs. both of them?
                Freeman has the job. The Giants will fit Belt in when they think he's ready, either at 1B with Huff in left or vice versa.

Alonso, OTOH, is completely blocked. The Reds have tried him at other positions and it hasn't worked at all. That leaves him as 1B-only, and some guy named Votto has that job for the next decade or so. The only way Alonso has value is if he's traded to a team that needs a 1B, or if Votto gets hurt.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Who would Huff bump in the OF if they call up Belt to play 1b? Also, I've read that Belt is athletic enough to play the OF if he had to.
                  I have no f'in idea. I would be leery about drafting any SF position player other than Posey and expecting them to play regularly. For their other position players, they have Huff, DeRosa, Tejada, FSanchez, Sandoval, Fontenot, Burrell, Ross, Rowand, and Torres, and I assume Fontenot won't be starting regularly but for seven spots they have nine guys who will probably be rotating in and out pretty often.

- Mike
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

So, now that both Freeman and Belt are a go from day one, any predictions on who will end up having the better season?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      So, now that both Freeman and Belt are a go from day one, any predictions on who will end up having the better season?
                      I just cut Freeman for Belt in my AFA league, but I think it's close. Freeman is hitting 8th which doesn't help, but the Braves do have a better lineup. Belt might run a bit more and I trust his plate discipline a bit more.

Don't forget, Belt did hit .383/.492/.628 in the Cal League, but it's the Cal League and he was a good college hitter, so that's what he SHOULD have done. Freeman is younger. Belt has more long-term power upside. Freeman will probably have a better AVG despite a worse eye. Belt should have more steals but I think he has a shorter leash.

If I had to pick one I'd take Belt, I think it will be really close but the steals give him the edge.

Comment

Working...
                      X