Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest weakness as a fantasy GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your biggest weakness as a fantasy GM?

I tend to inflate the value of the players on my team and fail to look at them objectively, especially if I've held them awhile. It prevents me from making deals that are beneficial to me because of some "hunch" or faith I've placed in a player.

I'm a lot the same way. Inability to trade is definitely my biggest failing. Then again, I'm fairly indecisive in life as well, so it's no big surprise that I'm poor at this.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I am big on bidding someone up and can get caught out there overbidding from time to time.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I have a tendency to like power while ignoring ave.

I am also a little impatient when it comes to pitching. This causes me to undervalue it at times.

Comment

I like trading too much!!!
          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

I think I'm above average in re-draft leagues, but below average in keeper leagues because I always play for "now" and discount future (i.e. years from now) production. So I treat minor leaguers as free trading chips, and that usually costs me the following draft day when I have no kiddie keepers.

Also, after being in a BA league for 15 years, I tend to not focus on OBP (which are my other two leagues) and usually find my squad behind the 8-ball there pretty quickly.

Comment

Impatience with starting pitchers

Comment

FA pickups. Usually love my team coming out of drafts but always seem to miss on free agent pickups.

Comment

I seem to have very poor luck (skill?) with high-priced players. Generally, I seem to grab every stud on his down year. However, I'm usually better than most at catching the unknown guy on his way up. I almost always have more surprise guys like Axford and Torres on my roster than anyone else.

To counter this, I don't target the same studs in multiple leagues. Once I draft them in one league, I try to avoid them in others.

Comment

I think it's gotta be trading. I just can't haggle like some of the other people do and I don't like to harass owners about trades. I always feel like I'm not getting enough back - that might also be overvaluing my guys as stated above by other posters.

Comment

Definitely not a great trader - I usually do OK when I actually pull the trigger, but have trouble finding fair deals and negotiating people down from their ledge.

But my biggest weakness is that I don't listen to my instincts at auction. I know I should stop bidding but I just don't, and I chase players I shouldn't. Incidentally this is the same weakness I have at poker. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Comment

I almost never save enough money for dollar days. I find myself looking at a player that could really help my team, and not having 2 bucks to spend on him.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hornsby is my biggest weakness. I have a soft spot for him because you guys are always picking on him.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Impatience with starting pitchers
                            I'm the opposite, hanging on too long to starting pitchers ... I keep thinking "I'll give him one more start - he lowered his walks last start from 7 to 6, it looks like he's getting a handle on his control ..."
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

can't pull the trigger on the big money guys at auction (i'm usually pretty good at calculating estimated value pre-auction, but somehow i recoil when my pre-auction calculations show that pujols is worth $79 or something, and just can't make myself go up there and get him), and end up with too many of the mid-tier ones instead. and i'm terrible at trading.
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X