The end of Harry Potter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of Harry Potter..

Saw the final Harry Potter movie this past weekend and it was excellent.

A bit sad that there will be no more Harry Potter books or movies. For those of you, like me, that have been big fans of the books and movies it has been one great ride for the last 10-12 years.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I have never read a book or seen a minute of any of the movies. Just never interested....
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      I have never read a book or seen a minute of any of the movies. Just never interested....
      The books were incredibly good children's literature, particularly from book three on. I thoroughly enjoyed them and look forward to sharing them with my kids. The movies are more dispensable, but as blockbuster movies go, they've been pretty good, as well. Since it's much harder for Beth and me to get to the movies since the kids were born, I've yet to see Deathly Hallows, Part I, but we'll probably Netflix both parts eventually.

All that said, I don't think this is the end of Harry Potter. The franchise is far too lucrative for far too many people, including Rowling, who left more than enough room in her Epilogue for a "Next Generation" series.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I have never read a book ....
        Wow...just wow.

Comment

Never read the books. Young people learning in a school for wizards? I liked it better when it was called the Earthsea trilogy.

I will say the movies were highly entertaining, other than than Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows. Which was close to awful. Glad to hear we're in for a big finale.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

saw the finale last night; very impressive - first movie I've seen in IMAX 3D that really wowed me, esp. visually - set design & effects were outstanding. and it's just a great finale to the series.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The very end of the movie made me sad.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                The very end of the movie made me sad.
                yeah, me too ....
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I was just bummed that... **** SPOILER ***

At the end, after you have saved the world from the greatest evil ever and you are some of the world's strongest wizards, you apparently marry your HS sweetheart and settle down to raise a family. It just seemed like a dismally unimaginative future.
                  Last edited by heyelander; 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

At the end, after you have saved the world from the greatest evil ever and you are some of the world's strongest wizards, you apparently marry your HS sweetheart and settle down to raise a family. It just seemed like a dismally unimaginative future.
                    Sounds like someone needs a hug...and directions on how to change the text color to white after writing spoiler!
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I dunno. Kind of like the WWII vets, in a way.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                        I dunno. Kind of like the WWII vets, in a way.
                        And, isn't that what his parents did?
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                          Sounds like someone needs a hug...and directions on how to change the text color to white after writing spoiler!
                          fixed...

you may be right... maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            The books were incredibly good children's literature, particularly from book three on. I thoroughly enjoyed them and look forward to sharing them with my kids. The movies are more dispensable, but as blockbuster movies go, they've been pretty good, as well. Since it's much harder for Beth and me to get to the movies since the kids were born, I've yet to see Deathly Hallows, Part I, but we'll probably Netflix both parts eventually.

All that said, I don't think this is the end of Harry Potter. The franchise is far too lucrative for far too many people, including Rowling, who left more than enough room in her Epilogue for a "Next Generation" series.
                            Not sure what is available over in your neck of the woods, but the best way i've found to see current movies with kids (1 boy - 4yr and a baby girl - 6 months), is at a Drive-in. Generally the kids climb into the front, or we all lay in the back of the station wagon and snuggle up under blankets. If the kids make a racket - they are only gonna disturb us, not the whole theatre/car park. Bring in some food to keep the cost down and a beer or 3 - makes for a fun night with the family. Not to mention if you can get a couple of other friends in cars to come.

Comment

I loved the movie. I'm sad to see it end.

Comment

Working...
                              X