2K11: Jimmy Rollins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11: Jimmy Rollins

What to make of this guy? Seems like he can and will hit with that elite EYE but he's always being nagged by some injury (calf) or a stretches of non-existent performance.

Then he will just burst out of nowhere.

How much burst is left in Rollins? He was all banged up in the first half. In the second half the speed and the opps returned. Plus he carried a 35 point gap between his BA and xBA on a .250 BABIP.

Two years in a row with a .250 BABIP. New base line?
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

This is a contract year for Jimmy. He's supposedly been working out diligently, working on his legs and flexibility to avoid those nagging injuries.

Comment

The guy he reminds me most of, in terms of body type and durability (very durable early on, then some nagging injuries and then missing chunks of time) is Rickey. Rickey's games totals after his age 31 season were 134-117-134 ... but then he figured it out and played 148-120-152 from age 37-39, so who knows? If Rollins can play 140 I think his owners will be ecstatic.

The BABIP is kind of astonishing but he's never really been a ground ball hitter so he doesn't get to use his wheels. Last year was actually encouraging in most respects (GB% up, IFFB% down, K rate down, career high walk rate) so I don't know how the hell he managed a .246 BABIP. He did have less line drives and swung at more pitches outside the zone than previous years.

Is J-Roll's BABIP becoming the hitting equivalent of Ricky Nolasco's FIP?

Comment

Jimmy hits an ENORMOUS number of pop-ups, often because he's swinging for the fences when he shouldn't be. It frustrates us Phillies fans to no end. And probably explains a good chunk of the BABIP issue.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

One of the scariest players in auction. So tempting to pay just a few dollars more than he is worth. I have had him cheap when he has been good. I paid too much to get him back when he was bad. The fear is that someday he again is going to pay big dividends and it won't be to my team.

I think I have to let him be somebody else's issue. I will take Jimmy's money and add some to it and get more reliability.

I just haven't figured out where to draw the line.

Comment

I'd rather be wrong about him on someone else's team, I don't see his upside as being much different than most of the upside guys available later. At least not enough to justify the 'he is falling off the cliff' risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              One of the scariest players in auction. So tempting to pay just a few dollars more than he is worth. I have had him cheap when he has been good. I paid too much to get him back when he was bad. The fear is that someday he again is going to pay big dividends and it won't be to my team.

I think I have to let him be somebody else's issue. I will take Jimmy's money and add some to it and get more reliability.

I just haven't figured out where to draw the line.
              Pretty much exactly my experience with Rollins. And at this point, I am not willing to go the extra 5 bucks it will take to get him.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you guys. He could bounce back big, but he'll do it on someone else's roster, because I won't pay what it takes to get him.

Comment

not any stunning news, but I'm excited in general so whatever...

Rollins reported to camp yesterday, early for a position player. A number of other guys did as well, but apparently this isn't SOP for Rollins who is there because he wants to get in better shape and put 2010 behind him.

He didn’t have to be in Clearwater until later in the week, but Jimmy Rollins showed up at the Carpenter Complex yesterday. Him being there early says a lot. It says he’s chomping at the bit to get himself into tip-top shape, itching to put 2010 in his rear view mirror. It says he wants […]
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Well, he is still making great contact and his EYE is very good but the contact is empty and he is just hitting soft outs.

And for being the 3-hitter his run creation is just terrible. Can we get a little juice, Jimmy?
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Yep, lots and lots and lots of soft outs so far.

He should hit 7th when Utley comes back, though Manuel won't do that.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

He's obviously miscast in this roll. At this point I think it would make more sense to flop he and victorino. Rollins has laid down a couple of great bunts this year already. I think that's more than I've seen him do in his career.

He did have a nice shot against Milwaukee on Tuesday night, but was robbed of one or two RBI's by a great catch by Braun.

Last edited by heyelander; 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Finally showing a little pop today, a double and a HR.

Comment

Working...
                          X