What is the Internet?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Internet?!

One of my brothers sent me this clip and we all got a good chuckle from it. Bryant Gumble makes 1994 sound like it was 40 years ago.

In 1994, I'd already been online for 11 years.....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I was using Prodigy a lot at that point, but I assume that was early 90s. I was so far a head of my high school friends in getting stats that it really helped me with my fantasy leagues. Unfortunately, it also meant I was the guy to keep the stats.

Comment

World Wide Web is just 20 years old, if you can believe that. For a few years, you could actually visit every single web page on the entire internet in one single week if you spent just one minute at each one.
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          In 1994, I'd already been online for 11 years.....
          yeah, I think I gotta call you-know-what here - first off I'm pretty sure that the internet was strictly a military thing in 1983, plus for fresno bob to be using it in the mid-80's www.milf.com would have had to exist then ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            yeah, I think I gotta call you-know-what here - first off I'm pretty sure that the internet was strictly a military thing in 1983, plus for fresno bob to be using it in the mid-80's www.milf.com would have had to exist then ...
            I was using USENET and IRC on VAX and UNIX boxes at SUNY Buffalo in 1988...
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
              I was using USENET and IRC on VAX and UNIX boxes at SUNY Buffalo in 1988...
              with or without soju?

Comment

I consider myself to have been online in the early 90s when I was calling BBS' (Bulletin Board Systems) i.e., dial-up. The catch was that only one user could be connected and all messages were stored locally. There were themed forums as well as private messages. Nothing was central back then.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  . Nothing was central back then.
                  There's that park in NY city.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    There's that park in NY city.
                    If you believe that, then I have some oceanfront property in California to sell you.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      If you believe that, then I have some oceanfront property in California to sell you.

Comment

dude, I was telnet-ing into Stanford's machines to play games off my 300 baud modem in 1983, then on FidoNet and other local BBS's like "The Wall" not too long after....hell, we went on school field trips in 1980 to a computer lab in Menlo Park where we played Wumpus and Xtrek on their machines. I was phone-phreaking in the early 80s as well.
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

dude, I was telnet-ing into Stanford's machines to play games off my 300 baud modem in 1983, then on FidoNet and other local BBS's like "The Wall" not too long after....hell, we went on school field trips in 1980 to a computer lab in Menlo Park where we played Wumpus and Xtrek on their machines. I was phone-phreaking in the early 80s as well.
                          My parents warned me about phone-phreaking.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            My parents warned me about phone-phreaking.
                            Wow, thinking about it now, that was probably Xerox PARC I went to in 1980, don't remember seeing a mouse or any kind of UI though

Comment

Wow, thinking about it now, that was probably Xerox PARC I went to in 1980, don't remember seeing a mouse or any kind of UI though
                              Exactly, mom said there would be kids with no mice !

Sorry for being such a smart ass, I never got into computers, but I bet it is pretty cool now to look back at what was going on then and what it turned into. I do remember my dad brought home a bunch of those punch cards from work in the early 70's. Must have been fun to work with those.
                              Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 12-17-2014, 10:03 PM.
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X