Anthony Rendon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Rendon?

Can someone enlighten me on Anthony Rendon?

I do not follow college ballplayers as much as I should (no time) as I play in AL and NL only leagues. This makes picking a college player a 50/50 risk of not getting him.

I was a bit surprised to see rhd list him as #8. This makes me wonder how hard I should go after him in our AL only league. The owner has too many prospects and he is on the list. He has already turned down a 4th round reserve pick.

Rendon will go into the season as the favorite to be the No. 1 pick this summer. He has hit since he stepped on campus at Rice. He is a solid defender and should definitely be able to stay at 3B. Big arm. Should hit for average, has a good eye and quick hands, big time power potential. Comps thrown out will probably be Ryan Zimmerman and Evan Longoria. It would not be crazy to think he could be in the conversation of Top prospect in baseball next season if all goes according to plan this year.

He did suffer an ankle injury this summer and will need to prove healthy this season. That's really the only knock on him at the moment, other than average speed.

Going after him in an AL-Only might be risky since the Pirates have the 1st overall pick. He is good enough to push Pedro Alvarez to first (probably his ultimate destination anyway). That would be my only reservation, because I think he's going to be a stud.

Comment

Will the Pirates pony up the huge signing bonus?

1. Pirates
      2.Mariners
      3.D-Backs
      4. Orioles

Who is most likely to sign him?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Will the Pirates pony up the huge signing bonus?

1. Pirates
        2.Mariners
        3.D-Backs
        4. Orioles

Who is most likely to sign him?
        If the Pirates passed, I don't think the M's would pass him up given the lack of true impact bats in their organization and the dearth of third basemen in their minors system. Keith Law recently gave an estimate of 50/50 that the Pirates would select Rendon with the top pick as of right now. Plenty can change in the coming months, though.

Comment

I think the Pirates sign him and push Alvarez to 1b. Beastorbust is on target with his analysis, save for the big time power potential, although that might just be a difference of opinion on terms. I do think he can be a Zimmerman level hitter, but I don't think he is a big time power hitter. He is a great overall hitter with legit power, but Rendon is not a high homer ceiling guy. If he ends up a Pirate, he'll likely top his fellow corner man every year in BA, OBP, and maybe doubles as well, but Alvarez has him beat in wall clearing power. That is no knock on Rendon though. Alvarez has 40 homer potential.

Comment

Rendon seems to have the unique skill set to hit for plus power as well as plus average. He is a much better defensive player than alvarez. It is not a stretch to put him into longoria stratashpere if he proves over his ankle injuries. I have read a couple of experts say they would choose rendon over harper. He has the possibility of being that good

Comment

Would you drop Rendon for Prado in a 12-team mixed?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Rendon for me at this point. Better stats and higher upside.
                I agree, but note that Rendon has cooled considerably after a hot start.

Comment

Would you drop Rendon for Wong in a 12-team mixed non-keeper?

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                    No way.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                      Probably not, but I'm high on both. Rendon has had a reputation for being injury-prone, so at any minute he could be gone for a stretch. Wong plays for an organization with a reputation for getting the most out of their players. Rendon is the superior player, but their situations even them out a bit in terms of fantasy ownership, in my opinion.

If you need steals primarily, go for Wong and you'll be okay. If you need a full hitter, keep Rendon, but don't be too surprised if Wong ends up earning more by year's end.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        Probably not, but I'm high on both. Rendon has had a reputation for being injury-prone, so at any minute he could be gone for a stretch. Wong plays for an organization with a reputation for getting the most out of their players. Rendon is the superior player, but their situations even them out a bit in terms of fantasy ownership, in my opinion.

If you need steals primarily, go for Wong and you'll be okay. If you need a full hitter, keep Rendon, but don't be too surprised if Wong ends up earning more by year's end.
                        That's pretty much what I was going to say, but Dane said it faster and better. Wong for speed, Rendon for the rest.

I don't own either in any league, so you're safe there.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Working...
                        X