Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Things Being Made Obsolete by the Smartphone" Draft

1.01.....GPS Navigation units

Why would anyone spend $150 on one of these relics when you can download a freebie navigation app that's 100x better and has live traffic movements?

being made? Why anyone would have purchased a GPS unit in the last three years is a mystery to me.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I think they're down to about $80, fwiw.

AOL is an interesting company - their business model, if I understand it correctly, is getting people to pay each month for something they could get for free....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

1.02 Blackberry Devices
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Why would anyone spend 100+ bucks a month on an overloaded phone? I buy my GPS, once. I buy my vanilla Phone, and have it do what it was intend to do, call people. I probably save 70 bucks a month that I can spend on other things that interest me more than a Swiss Army knife of a phone that does everything, and all of it to mediocre heights.

My wife has an I-Phone, and had an android...neither one has a nav system worth a crap...nor a camera, nor the abilities of the smallest notebook. "Smart" phone, my ass...give me stand alone devices that have a function and perform them admirably.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

...and kids, get off his lawn!

Comment

1.03 411 Information Services

When was the last time you called 411?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Why would anyone spend 100+ bucks a month on an overloaded phone? I buy my GPS, once. I buy my vanilla Phone, and have it do what it was intend to do, call people. I probably save 70 bucks a month that I can spend on other things that interest me more than a Swiss Army knife of a phone that does everything, and all of it to mediocre heights.

My wife has an I-Phone, and had an android...neither one has a nav system worth a crap...nor a camera, nor the abilities of the smallest notebook. "Smart" phone, my ass...give me stand alone devices that have a function and perform them admirably.
                holy grumpy-old-man-mode!

I've used my smart phone, no quotes, for the past 6 months - Google Navigator is an excellent app - real-time traffic, all the functionality I need; and aside from the data plan, it's free. I use the phone camera a lot as well - not for pics that I'm gonna turn into portraits, but for posting/emailing to friends it's perfect. combine that with all the other options & my $50 per month plan (virtually never any extra charges), & I'm a happy customer.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

1.04 The Weather Channel
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

1.05 Point and shoot digital cameras

We still have a nice DSLR for certain things but it's been years since my wife or I have pulled out our old digital cameras. No need with an 8MP camera in my pocket at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
                      1.05 Point and shoot digital cameras

We still have a nice DSLR for certain things but it's been years since my wife or I have pulled out our old digital cameras. No need with an 8MP camera in my pocket at all times.
                      And here I was thinking you were just happy to see us.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

Seriously? Try Waze, which is a free app. 1,000x better than my Garmin and Tom-Tom.

Why would you buy a NAV system and then pay additional to get a) map updates, or b) traffic updates? Those ain't free, ya know.

Comment

1.06.....iPods

why buy an iPod when your phone can hold up 1,500+ songs? Beats me.

Comment

Having a camera on my phone is the best thing imaginable. I used to finish my work day, and get home to scan my work sheet, then email a pdf file of that work sheet to my boss. Took me 10 minutes every day, and I hated it. Now, I take a picture of the work sheet on my phone, hit "send email", and it's done in 20 seconds, before I get home.

My boss will also ask me how a garden is looking, which I can respond to by sending him a picture instantly.

We are in the future!
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              1.06.....iPods

why buy an iPod when your phone can hold up 1,500+ songs? Beats me.
                              Nope. I need way more space than that but that's me.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X