PDA

View Full Version : Exceelent TV Shows

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

revo
02-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Anyone watch "Lights Out" on FX? Awesome show, and it (supposedly) takes place in my town, although they make it seem more rough-n-tumble then it really is. Still, great show.

ironfist
02-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I tried to watch Lights Out, and I can definitely see the appeal for some people, but it just doesn't grab me.

I'm personally looking forward to the return of Justified next Wednesday. Loved the first season and even got my wife hooked on it.

Mithrandir
02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I really enjoy the Showtime show "Episodes", with Matt LeBlanc. I wouldn't call it excellent, but it's pretty good.

Californication is excellent!!

Hammer
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Lights Out isnt bad but it seems pretty busy as if theyre trying to cram too much in too soon instead of letting characters develop.

Off The Map seems like Greys Anatomy in the jungle.

I was enjoying The Event. Its back at the end of the month.

willthethrill
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
New shows for me this year: Event-Like it, don't love it, but I'll keep watching. No Ordinary Family-Like it, mom is hot. The Cape-Like it, the Terminator chick looks really good.

Gregg
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
We are enjoying The Human Target and The Mentalist as our top two shows. Big Bang is right up there.

American Idol and Funniest Home Videos are still on the Tivo for Family Night.

Wonderboy
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
30 Rock still the gold standard for me. Parks & Recreation isn't bad. The Office is wearing on me a little.

schlesinj
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Has anyone seen Archer? I happen to catch one episode a few nights ago and it was pretty good.

heyelander
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm personally looking forward to the return of Justified next Wednesday. Loved the first season and even got my wife hooked on it.

+1
Justified season 1 was fantastic and I'm really geeked for the new season to start.

SeaDogStat
02-03-2011, 01:23 PM
I love Top Chef (all versions...Top Chef, Top Chef All Stars, Top Chef Masters) and am with Gregg on Human Target... I love the Guerrero character (Jackie Earle Haley)...

I DVR a bunch of shows but it seems like I only watch those two series regularly.

revo
02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I love Top Chef (all versions...Top Chef, Top Chef All Stars, Top Chef Masters) and am with Gregg on Human Target... I love the Guerrero character (Jackie Earle Haley)...

I DVR a bunch of shows but it seems like I only watch those two series regularly.

Yeah, Human Target quickly became one of my favorites. Jackie Earle Haley and Chi McBride are both awesome. TV By The Numbers expects the show to be cancelled, however.

I also really like The Cape, but this one also seems like a goner and I just read NBC hacked 3 episodes from its run.

ironfist
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Human Target quickly became one of my favorites. Jackie Earle Haley and Chi McBride are both awesome. TV By The Numbers expects the show to be cancelled, however.

I also really like The Cape, but this one also seems like a goner and I just read NBC hacked 3 episodes from its run.

While I also enjoy the Cape, there's just no way that one will survive. It's basically a comic book made into a tv show (a modren version of 1960s Batman) - and that usually means a small audience. I enjoy it for it's over the top and fun tone, but not enough people really appreciate that sort of thing these days.

heyelander
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
While I also enjoy the Cape, there's just no way that one will survive. It's basically a comic book made into a tv show (a modren version of 1960s Batman) - and that usually means a small audience. I enjoy it for it's over the top and fun tone, but not enough people really appreciate that sort of thing these days.

everyone seems to be having fun with it except the star and his son who both seem like they think they are doing greek tragedy. I gave it about 3 or 4 weeks, but I think I was watching it in spite of itself after the first week. I finally turned it off without watching this past week.

ironfist
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
everyone seems to be having fun with it except the star and his son who both seem like they think they are doing greek tragedy. I gave it about 3 or 4 weeks, but I think I was watching it in spite of itself after the first week. I finally turned it off without watching this past week.

That kid is awful. It ruins the whole tone of the show every time they cut to the family.

BuckyBuckner
02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Has anyone seen Archer? I happen to catch one episode a few nights ago and it was pretty good.

Archer is hysterical.

I too am looking forward to Justified coming back.

joncarlos
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
New shows for me this year: Event-Like it, don't love it, but I'll keep watching. No Ordinary Family-Like it, mom is hot. The Cape-Like it, the Terminator chick looks really good.

This. Summer Glau is awesome... too bad she can't catch a good show. They just cut the order for The Cape from 13 to 10, which isn't a good sign.

No Ordinary Family is solid... I like Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz is fine (and a Pittsburgher) but the rest is kind of blah.

If you aren't watching Chuck, you're missing out. Other than that we mostly watch USA (Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs)

Wonderboy
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
This. Summer Glau is awesome... too bad she can't catch a good show.

Or more aptly, a commercially viable show. She was in Firefly, which was way more than just a good show. Cancelled by Fox after one season, then it found an audience and became #1 in DVD sales for a while.

Gregg
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Or more aptly, a commercially viable show. She was in Firefly, which was way more than just a good show. Cancelled by Fox after one season, then it found an audience and became #1 in DVD sales for a while.

I thought she was excellent in Terminator. Our whole family was sad when they took that one down.

ironfist
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
I thought she was excellent in Terminator. Our whole family was sad when they took that one down.

That was a show that kept getting more and more interesting. Unfortunately it had already lost most of its audience by then. Similar thing happened with Dollhouse. Summer is great to look at, but I have yet to see her play anyone who has a real personality. It might just be the roles she's had...

revo
02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
That was a show that kept getting more and more interesting. Unfortunately it had already lost most of its audience by then. Similar thing happened with Dollhouse. Summer is great to look at, but I have yet to see her play anyone who has a real personality. It might just be the roles she's had...

Agreed -- she was ideal as the Terminator because she seems very robotic. That show was great, too bad it also got cancelled.

frae
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Well excellent shows is something I would reserve for a few shows, but I like a ton of shows...

Excellent - Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, 30 Rock, Modern Family, Mad Men and Friday Night Lights (note i don't have HBO or Showtime)

Very Good - Justified, Burn Notice, House, Damages, Its Always Sunny in Philly,

Good - Big Bang Theory, White Collar, The Office, Royal Pains, How I Met Your Mother, Psych, Cougar Town, Parks and Rec, Fringe, and Community

Sorry to see you go so soon - Rubicon and Terriers

heyelander
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Justified Season 2 Starts tonight on FX.

Trader Mac
02-10-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't get to watch much TV here in China. I bought the first 9 seasons of Smallville and am on season two. My family is actually starting to like it too so we watch an episode almost every night.

Teenwolf
02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Louie - Sort of a sitcom about the everyday life of Louie C.K. intercut with bits of standup. Of course the comedy is fantastic, but I was really surprised at how moving some of the monologues and situations ended up being. I watched the first season in less than 24 hours, which is pretty unusual for me to do with a comedy.

revo
02-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Louie - Sort of a sitcom about the everyday life of Louie C.K. intercut with bits of standup. Of course the comedy is fantastic, but I was really surprised at how moving some of the monologues and situations ended up being. I watched the first season in less than 24 hours, which is pretty unusual for me to do with a comedy.

Boy, did I hate this show. It had a 70's All in the Family claustrophobic vibe to it, and man, those actors were horrific. I watched season one because my wife liked it, but it was as awful as an HBO series could get. Sorry, TW.

DMT
02-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Boy, did I hate this show. It had a 70's All in the Family claustrophobic vibe to it, and man, those actors were horrific. I watched season one because my wife liked it, but it was as awful as an HBO series could get. Sorry, TW.

I think you're confusing Louis (on FX I think) with Lucky Louis.

overkill94
02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Well excellent shows is something I would reserve for a few shows, but I like a ton of shows...

Excellent - Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, 30 Rock, Modern Family, Mad Men and Friday Night Lights (note i don't have HBO or Showtime)

Very Good - Justified, Burn Notice, House, Damages, Its Always Sunny in Philly,

Good - Big Bang Theory, White Collar, The Office, Royal Pains, How I Met Your Mother, Psych, Cougar Town, Parks and Rec, Fringe, and Community

Sorry to see you go so soon - Rubicon and Terriers

Can't argue with any of your "excellent" shows although I've never seen Friday Night Lights. Psych I would upgrade to "very good" and I would add to that group The League, Jersey Shore, and the various crime shows that I'm too ashamed to list individually.

Fresno Bob
02-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena finishes up its 6 episode run as a prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand friday night. Both can be found on Starz or Netflix Streaming.

Think "Rome" meets "300" meets "Skinamax". My personal favorite show I'm watching right now. I also like "Top Shot", a shooting competition show. I plan on starting "Breaking Bad" pretty soon

DMT
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM
I plan on starting "Breaking Bad" pretty soon

Best show on TV, enjoy

overkill94
02-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Best show on TV, enjoy

Can't argue with that. Caught up with the first two seasons via DVD and loved the show.

SMELL THE GLOVE
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Bored to Death is hilarious.

revo
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I think you're confusing Louis (on FX I think) with Lucky Louis.

You are correct. Can't Louis CK come up with any different names for his shows??

willthethrill
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I found the new senator in the Event to be extremely annoying. Hoping she'll meet an unexpected and violent death.

schlesinj
03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I have been watching Mr. Sunshine on NBC after Modern Family and I think it is entertaining.

Gregg
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Justified Season 2 Starts tonight on FX.

I love this show. One of the few I look forward to.

johnnya24
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Been really disappointed with the shows coming out lately. Of the shows on now, I only watch:

Shameless USA (excellent ... brilliant cast ... with newish-comer Emily Rossum stealing the show from William H. Macey and Joan Cussack ... which is no mean feat)
Californication (always good)
American Dad (see above)
House (see the see above)

... and that's pretty much it.

Lots people big upping Justified ... as much as I like Tim Olyphant, I thought the first couple of episodes were complete pants ... so I never bothered following up. Does it get any better than that? (i.e. corny dialogue, plots with bus-sized holes etc). Likewise that other new show with the USMC looking dude from Boston Legal.

The Event I watched regularly, and then gave up on when the plot/scripting started to get absurd, stupid and lazy.

Bored to Death I have been meaning to return to ... worth giving it another shot at some point. Thought the first episode was pretentious and unfunny ...

I saw the first 3 eps of Raising Hope, and I quite liked, and been meaning to have a look at Modern Family. I can't really be bothered with 30 minute sit coms to be fair.

Boardwalk Empire was great, as was The Walking Dead, the excellent Rubicon came and went ... but there has been nothing interesting on any of the terrestrial channels. V? Meh. Breaking Bad and a shortened final season of Entourage will no doubt appear just as Shameless and Californication wrap ... but nothing good on the main channels.

If you like Battlestar you might want to have a look at Outcasts. BBC sci-fi production about the only surviving colony of humans on a distant mysterious planet after the earth has been destroyed. An OK attempt at some serious (hard) sci-fi.

johnnya24
03-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Upcoming:

AMC's new series "The Killing" is due to start soon.

BUT ... if you can ... skip it and watch the original Danish series that it is copied from - "Forbrydesen". This is up there with the best TV series I've ever seen. I don't think the original was syndicated in the USA (probably because Fox/AMC bought the rights to re-make it), but it is really worth busting a gut to get the original. The writing, acting and pacing is superb throughout. It's airing with English subtitles on one of BBC's cable channels ... and those rips are available on the interweb.

They can all be downloaded from here - http://thepiratebay.org/user/Robston/

Trust me on this one, this is truly addictive stuff. If you are looking for some serious drama, look no further.

No post on Forbrydelsen will be complete without some reference to Sarah Lund's jumpers ...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5512034770_ce663efe69.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5218/5511435849_ba1aae18ae.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5511435905_04af095976.jpg

... the jumper dilemma resolved

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/mar/10/the-killing-sophie-grabol-sarah-lund

johnnya24
03-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Finally finished with Forbrydelsen ... jaw dropping suspense right to the very end. Outstanding ... best TV show I've seen since The Wire.

johnnya24
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Fringe just got renewed for a 4th season ... there were strong rumours that it was going to get cancelled after getting shifted to another day, and viewing figures fell, but it got a reprieve. I don't watch it, but I know some folk round here do.

revo
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone watch "Lights Out" on FX? Awesome show, and it (supposedly) takes place in my town, although they make it seem more rough-n-tumble then it really is. Still, great show.

Damn, Lights Out cancelled by FX......

joncarlos
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I have been watching Mr. Sunshine on NBC after Modern Family and I think it is entertaining.

This show started OK but I already gave up on it after about 6 episodes. It's a shame because it had a good cast, but it was awful.

schlesinj
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I have missed the last few episodes.

heyelander
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Justified renewed for season three.

johnnya24
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I've heard that AMC's The Killing has a different killer to the original Danish series (Forbrydelsen) ... so hopefully that will keep it fresh for me. I'm onto the second series of the original, and I've seen good reviews for the remake which began last night.

Some shows with high potential on now, and coming up soon ... Mildred Pierce (mini-series), Game of Thrones, The Killing, The Borgias

Gregg
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

This is very good news for me. It has moved up to one of my top couple of shows on tv.

ironfist
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
This is very good news for me. It has moved up to one of my top couple of shows on tv.

This has really been a good season for Justified. Glad to see it'll be back.

Watched Camelot over the weekend and it's somewhat entertaining, if not particularly exceelent. If you like Spartacus, you'd probably like this as well.

bryanbutler
04-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Watched Camelot over the weekend and it's somewhat entertaining, if not particularly exceelent. If you like Spartacus, you'd probably like this as well.

gah - watched it and hated it. convoluted version of the true story, with gratituous sex and violence. will probably watch it once more, but if it doesn't get better will definitely pass.

frae
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I've heard that AMC's The Killing has a different killer to the original Danish series (Forbrydelsen) ... so hopefully that will keep it fresh for me. I'm onto the second series of the original, and I've seen good reviews for the remake which began last night.

Some shows with high potential on now, and coming up soon ... Mildred Pierce (mini-series), Game of Thrones, The Killing, The Borgias

I watched the first two episodes of The Killing last night on my DVR. I really liked it a lot. I haven't watched an AMC show I didn't like. I loved Rubicon even though that died, but man Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, and now the Killing. It is slow moving so far like Rubicon, but the build up is good. The scenes with the family are gut wrenching to watch. We all see a lot of crime shows, but not that often is the families struggle after such an emphasis.

Anyway it is on for a 13 episode run with each episode being a day. I am definitely in.

One note for anyone who never got in on Breaking Bad and doesn't have netflix, it is starting from episode one tonight at 12:30 AM on AMC, set your DVR's.

frae
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Glad to hear that Raylan Givens and his hat will return for another year. A great show, can't wait to watch tonights new episode.

heyelander
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
One note for anyone who never got in on Breaking Bad and doesn't have netflix, it is starting from episode one tonight at 12:30 AM on AMC, set your DVR's.

New episodes nightly or weekly? I'd like to start watching it but I'm headed out of town for a few days and a nightly thing would load up my crappy comcast dvr.

frae
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
New episodes nightly or weekly? I'd like to start watching it but I'm headed out of town for a few days and a nightly thing would load up my crappy comcast dvr.

They should be going in order at 12:30 and 1:30 AM Weds night, technically Thursday morning. they also appear to be airing an episode on Mondays, but not sure it is in the same sequence.

johnnya24
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
HBO have released the first 14 minutes of Game Of Thrones ... looks top notch.

http://thevoiceoftv.com/blog/game-of-thrones-watch-first-14-minutes/33764

johnnya24
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I watched the first two episodes of The Killing last night on my DVR. I really liked it a lot. I haven't watched an AMC show I didn't like. I loved Rubicon even though that died, but man Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, and now the Killing. It is slow moving so far like Rubicon, but the build up is good. The scenes with the family are gut wrenching to watch. We all see a lot of crime shows, but not that often is the families struggle after such an emphasis.

Anyway it is on for a 13 episode run with each episode being a day. I am definitely in.
I'm glad they kept the ultra-grim atmosphere of the original. I'm not sure the sun shown in any of the 20 episodes of the Danish series ... overcast, rain ... created a real sense of foreboding.

... oh ... and the knitted jumpers!

Get ready for a million twists and turns :)

frae
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm glad they kept the ultra-grim atmosphere of the original. I'm not sure the sun shown in any of the 20 episodes of the Danish series ... overcast, rain ... created a real sense of foreboding.

... oh ... and the knitted jumpers!

Get ready for a million twists and turns :)

Yeah it is constantly raining in this version as well. Using Seattle (filmed in Vancouver I believe) as the location allows for this. There were a few daylight scenes that didn't have rain, but overall it is very dreary.

I watched the 3rd episode tonight, still very good and I can already tell that you are right there will be tons of twits. Anyway I like it a lot.

DMT
04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
They film Breaking Bad right outside my office all the time. I've never seen the show but probably should.

Dude, get it together!

johnnya24
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Just caught up with the first 3 episodes of The Borgias ... very good.

The first auto-correct spelling correction for Borgias is Orgiastic ... which actually seems to be quite an appropriate definition for a 16th century pope :)

johnnya24
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
The Borgias has just been renewed for a second season after getting very good ratings. Top quality drama.

The Killing is also very good ... seems to take a few different directions to the original, and doesn't have quite the same pace (the original was 20 full 1 hour episodes). I heard somewhere that it will have a different killer. I doubt this ... but the thought that it might keeps keeps me wondering.

Looks like we are entering a new period of real top class TV drama ... similar to 3/4 years ago.

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
The Killing
The Borgias
Game of Thrones
True Blood

... and there's 4/5 more ...

schlesinj
04-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Archer is hysterical.

I too am looking forward to Justified coming back.

I have been DVR the show. A good show to watch when the kids go to bed.

BuckyBuckner
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyone watching Happy Endings? I think it's really funny.

revo
05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
new schedules were announced, so that means some shows were whacked:
V, The Event, Human Target, No Ordinary Family, $hit my Dad Says, Chicago Code, Lie to Me, Mr. Sunshine, Detroit 1-8-7 all cancelled.

BuckyBuckner
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
V, The Event, Human Target, No Ordinary Family, $hit my Dad Says, Chicago Code, Lie to Me, Mr. Sunshine, Detroit 1-8-7 all cancelled.

That's good news for me, the only show I watched was $hit My Dad Says and I knew there was no way it was coming back. It wasn't very funny.

cardboardbox
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I rarely watch first season shows anymore because I want to know there will be at least two seasons before committing to them. I never started V or The Event because the ratings were poor even though they were right up my alley (at least in concept, not sure if they were any good).

ironfist
05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
I rarely watch first season shows anymore because I want to know there will be at least two seasons before committing to them. I never started V or The Event because the ratings were poor even though they were right up my alley (at least in concept, not sure if they were any good).

you really didn't miss anything. Nothing happened in V in 2 seasons until the last episode and The Event was just one ludicrous episode after another. However, if I waited to watch only shows that have a second season, I would have missed out on exceelent shows like Rubicon and Terriers

cardboardbox
05-18-2011, 12:13 AM
you really didn't miss anything. Nothing happened in V in 2 seasons until the last episode and The Event was just one ludicrous episode after another. However, if I waited to watch only shows that have a second season, I would have missed out on exceelent shows like Rubicon and TerriersRubicon looked good and I would have watched if it had a second season. Did it have a proper ending or were you left hanging?

I tend to like shows that are at least partly serialized so that adds to the frustration when they are cancelled abruptly.

Gregg
05-18-2011, 12:53 AM

I am disappointed that Human Target is not coming back. I thought it was very good. Mrs. Gregg is going to be disappointed when I tell her.

Fresno Bob
05-18-2011, 01:00 AM

I have never seen 5 minutes of any of these shows. My non-baseball television viewing has seemingly dropped to almost nothing. There isn't anything on my Tivo that I've picked. Netflix streaming and the disks of Mad Men and Deep Space 9 are getting my viewing time. I think I've watched more television on planes than anything else this last year.

johnnya24
05-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Rubicon looked good and I would have watched if it had a second season. Did it have a proper ending or were you left hanging?

I tend to like shows that are at least partly serialized so that adds to the frustration when they are cancelled abruptly.
There was a story arc for the season that had a clear resolution ... so it could be watched as a one off.

Shame ... it had so much potential for more.

ironfist
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Rubicon looked good and I would have watched if it had a second season. Did it have a proper ending or were you left hanging?

The arc for Rubicon was tied up pretty well at the end, though they did leave enough for a potential second season. It wasn't anything that left you hanging.

Gregg
05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I have never seen 5 minutes of any of these shows. My non-baseball television viewing has seemingly dropped to almost nothing. There isn't anything on my Tivo that I've picked. Netflix streaming and the disks of Mad Men and Deep Space 9 are getting my viewing time. I think I've watched more television on planes than anything else this last year.

I am shocked that you do not tivo Justified, I would think that would be right up your alley.

Fresno Bob
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I am shocked that you do not tivo Justified, I would think that would be right up your alley.

I watched a bit of the first 2 episodes, then decided I could just catch it all on disk or streaming when it came available...

SeaDogStat
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I am disappointed that Human Target is not coming back. I thought it was very good. Mrs. Gregg is going to be disappointed when I tell her.

Agreed... Guerrero was my favorite character on TV...bummer

I am watching Rescue Me via Netflix streaming (halfway thru season 3 right now)...damn good series...very enjoyable

And happy that the Playstation Network is back up so I can watch it down on the big LCD instead of my computer :)

heyelander
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Will miss Human Target but more so Detroit 187 which I thought was one of the better things on TV this season.

johnnya24
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Next season is predicted to be the last for House ... and Lisa Edelstein (aka Dr. Cutty) will not be returning ...

http://www.internetcelebrity.org/albums/wpw-20080702/Lisa_Edelstein_DanChavkin_001_(65).jpg

BuckyBuckner
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Bill Simmons did NOT like The Killing. Major spoilers in this article, only read this if you watched all of Season One. (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree)

johnnya24
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Bill Simmons did NOT like The Killing. Major spoilers in this article, only read this if you watched all of Season One. (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree)
I am about to watch the last episode of season 1. I will comment on my overall impression when I have seen it.

I think it's been good ... but certainly there have been some flaws ... there was one very odd episode at a crucial point in the series which seemed to focus on a non-relevant aspect of the story (going from what I saw in the original).

I have a feeling they are going to try and stretch the overall plot of the 20 part Danish series into a second series ... if it gets renewed of course.

BuckyBuckner
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I am about to watch the last episode of season 1. I will comment on my overall impression when I have seen it.

I think it's been good ... but certainly there have been some flaws ... there was one very odd episode at a crucial point in the series which seemed to focus on a non-relevant aspect of the story (going from what I saw in the original).

I have a feeling they are going to try and stretch the overall plot of the 20 part Danish series into a second series ... if it gets renewed of course.

I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment. I've enjoyed it but I don't mind slow paced shows like this, I really liked Rubicon which was possibly slower than this.

frae
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM

It got renewed so we will see for sure what they do. I liked it and have no problem with how it ended. I can see why a lot of people got frustrated, but I don't mind.

Johnny are you talking about the episode that focused on them finding her son mostly? It was weird and the only episode that I did not really enjoy as it didn't advance much as far as I could tell.

Wonderboy
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment.

Exactly. No one wants to be a random internet douche.

SeaDogStat
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM

The butler did it...in the dining room....with a candlestick...or multiple eliipses

heyelander
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM

ah, if only I could set my own title like we could on the old RJ instead of this silly farm system stuff.

johnnya24
06-21-2011, 05:31 PM
It got renewed so we will see for sure what they do. I liked it and have no problem with how it ended. I can see why a lot of people got frustrated, but I don't mind.

Johnny are you talking about the episode that focused on them finding her son mostly? It was weird and the only episode that I did not really enjoy as it didn't advance much as far as I could tell.

I'll wait until you watch the last episode before I comment. I've enjoyed it but I don't mind slow paced shows like this, I really liked Rubicon which was possibly slower than this.
I enjoyed the show ... and I definitely don't mind the slower pace of things, especially when the focus is on character development. I do hope that AMC (or is it Showtime?) don't back track on the second season, because I agree that its lost its way a little on the run in. The "where's my son" episode was totally pointless at a time they needed to be picking up the pace and suspense. The ending was unexpected ...

I'm guessing that the second season has to pick up from were this one finished?

BuckyBuckner
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
The one thing I got from the "where's my son" episode is that her partner blew off his own son to help her find her son. So you have to think that he's good and then you find out something's up with him in the last episode. But that episode did feel like a waste of time. There are a lot of loose ends and things that just don't make sense and that gets frustrating. As Simmons mentioned in his article, why the hell did it take them so long to realize that the gas in the tank did not match up what was recorded? You'd think they would have done that from day one.

johnnya24
06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
The one thing I got from the "where's my son" episode is that her partner blew off his own son to help her find her son. So you have to think that he's good and then you find out something's up with him in the last episode. But that episode did feel like a waste of time. There are a lot of loose ends and things that just don't make sense and that gets frustrating. As Simmons mentioned in his article, why the hell did it take them so long to realize that the gas in the tank did not match up what was recorded? You'd think they would have done that from day one.
I won't go into specifics, because we may be only half way through this story arc.

Things were a bit confused in places ... on the one hand the producers were trying to stay true to the original, which is creditable. But on the other they did not find the right balance with plot-storyline-character development ... too much emphasis on character development made it meander in places, and not enough focus on plot coherence and storyline IMO. In the Danish series it was a bit like 24 ... each episode had a clearly defined goal, and it generally built to a cliffhanger at the end, which progressed the overall plot ... lot's and lot's of twists and turns and blind alleys.

When the Danish series aired her on the BBC's arts channel earlier this year, towards the end of its run it was getting nearly 1 million viewers on a Saturday night ... typically they would get 30K viewers on a Saturday night maybe 50K. The remake didn't quite have that build up of suspense that made you desperate to turn the next page ... but that said ... I still really enjoyed it. I have only kept watching 3 shows this spring: GoT, House and The Killing.

To be overly critical, I think they failed to properly grasp the essence of Sarah Lund in the Linden character despite all the time spent on her personal life. It's not an easy task ... I think Sarah Lund is easily one of the strongest female lead characters ever ... in TV land anyway. She was really dark, moody, obsessive, nothing mattered except the case. She was always ignoring authority figures, acting impulsively, getting in trouble. You always had the sense that a eureka moment was about to come with Lund, I didn't get that with Linden ... they made her seem a bit weak and manic with too much emphasis on the relationship with her son. In the original, Lund's relationship with her son was a plot mechanism to show her growing unhealthy obsession with the case ... in The Killing the case took a back seat when Linden's son vanished.

The political side of things, and the growing fragmentation of the family of the victim, were also played out much better in the original series. In short ... if you enjoyed The Killing even a little bit, download the Danish series ... you'll really enjoy it.

johnnya24
06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Just watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood ... utterly horrible. The first 15 minutes alone are sufficient reason not to watch any more of this show. Cheap, nasty, badly written, badly directed ... the list goes on.

I'm guessing that HBO have all their $$ tied up in GoT and Boardwalk Empire, and are hoping that they can still draw out good viewing figures with a massively slashed budget. They might be right judging by the garbage cable series that keep getting renewed ... but that's not very HBO .. beginning of the end for True Blood IMO.

DMT
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Just watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood ... utterly horrible. The first 15 minutes alone are sufficient reason not to watch any more of this show. Cheap, nasty, badly written, badly directed ... the list goes on.

I'm guessing that HBO have all their $$ tied up in GoT and Boardwalk Empire, and are hoping that they can still draw out good viewing figures with a massively slashed budget. They might be right judging by the garbage cable series that keep getting renewed ... but that's not very HBO .. beginning of the end for True Blood IMO.

Agreed, it was pretty awful.

johnnya24
06-29-2011, 11:48 PM
More on the Killing / Forbrydelsen issue:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/itrsquos-a-crime-to-remake-a-cult-hit-2304473.html

johnnya24
07-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Agreed, it was pretty awful.
I said I wouldn't watch any more True Blood ... I lied. The second episode was actually pretty good. Why on earth they had to squeeze every storyline into the series premier I have no idea ...

I wonder if they realised the first episode was a complete shocker ... because they offered the second episode online immediately after the premier. Seems like odd tactics for the beginning of a new series of a hyped show.

Judge Jude
07-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Ok, I am not up to date on this thead, but "Big Bang Theory" has had the most intelligent comedy writing of any show I've seen in recent years.

Admittedly, I don't watch much TV.

Gregg
07-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Ok, I am not up to date on this thead, but "Big Bang Theory" has had the most intelligent comedy writing of any show I've seen in recent years.

We have watched and enjoyed that show from day one. I was afraid it was not going to get past the first season. Some really funny moments.

Mithrandir
07-05-2011, 12:17 PM

My family loves this show. Sheldon is a character for the TV Hall of Fame!

Judge Jude
07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
For some reason, some people think all 4 characters are Asperger's Syndrome guys.
But really only Sheldon is.

Sheldon and Leonard are the two stars, of course, quite an homage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Leonard

But I liked him as Nick the bartender in "It's A Wonderful Life"

"We serve hard drinks to men who want to get drunk fast and we don't need any 'characters' to give the joint 'atmosphere'.'"

Mithrandir
07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone watch "Tosh.0"..dude is hilarious..

overkill94
07-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Anyone watch "Tosh.0"..dude is hilarious..

I've been a big fan of his since I saw his Comedy Central special in 2003. Saw him twice at local comedy clubs here in LA and he killed both times. Luckily they've let him basically be himself on his show - he's best when he's at his most racist and misogynistic.

johnnya24
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Falling Skies has been renewed ... someone can let me know if these is a 180 degree transformation in the quality of this series. Somehow I doubt it ... plus even if they drafted in Daniel Day Lewis along with the writing staff of The Wire, I'm not sure I can look at those ridiculous looking George Lucas style Jar Jar Binks aliens for another second.

ironfist
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Torchwood: Miracle Day premieres tonight on Starz at 10pm. I've never seen any of the other series but have heard good enough stuff about them to give this one a try.

Also looking forward to the return of Curb Your Enthusiasm Sunday.

Gregg
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Torchwood: Miracle Day premieres tonight on Starz at 10pm. I've never seen any of the other series but have heard good enough stuff about them to give this one a try.

Also looking forward to the return of Curb Your Enthusiasm Sunday.

My wife and I watched Torchwood the last time around. It was quircky but entertaining. We will be adding this to the Tivo list.

BuckyBuckner
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone watching Wilfred? It's really funny.

ironfist
07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Anyone watching Wilfred? It's really funny.

I kinda like it so far - not loving it yet. The funniest parts for me are when Wilfred does the dog-like things - like chasing the laser pointer in yesterday's show.

BuckyBuckner
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
If anyone has been thinking about buying The Wire on DVD, now is a good time.

On sale at Amazon for $72.49. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BZ5AFU)

johnnya24
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm currently going through the first series of Treme ... gotta give The Wire guys a fair shot. The critics rate series 1 at 82% and series 2 at 87%.

Thankfully it seems the number of musical interludes seems to be lessening with each episode ... too many songs made the pilot really tedious IMO.

Wendell Pierce is basically Bunk with a trombone instead of a suit

Clarke Peters (Lester Freeman) ... is a scary badass!

John Goodman is an intellectual

As much as I like Steve Zahn is small doses ... so far he's been on screen way too much for my liking.

johnnya24
09-05-2011, 02:25 PM
True Blood got better after that horrible first episode ... but it is nothing more than throwaway fluff these days ... when it started, it seemed to have a lot more going on.

Into the second season of Treme now ... it definitely gets better as you get to know the characters (like most HBO series). I have to say though, that this series has really missed a trick by not interjecting the series with flashbacks to the actual events of the hurricane ... how the characters dealt with the events etc. There is a real sense of drama and suspense missing that would elevate this into a great series. I know the point is to try and capture the essence of New Orleans in the aftermath of the tragedy, but it would be so much better if it had a little more bite

At the end of the first season there was a brief flashback ... but nothing since ... probably a budgeting issue.

revo
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
how much has Entourage sucked this season?

cardboardbox
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
In some other thread I insulted Spartacus after watching the first episode or two. Well I kept watching and it kept getting better. Slowly at first but by ep 5 or 6 it hits its stride. Ending was felt a little rushed but overall this is one of the few shows I'm looking forward to another season of.

Teenwolf
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I watched an episode of Whale Wars a few nights ago and thought it was super intense. They follow a group of environmentalists trying to stop whaling ships, and **** gets crazy. 40 ton ships trying to stop 2000 ton ships, bombing them, trying to taint the meat so it's unsellable... You don't need to care about the issue to appreciate the dedication in these people's lives. Apparently a few of them have died in the filming of the series. I'm just starting from the beginning now.

Party Down is a great comedy series. There's 2 seasons, and I guess it's done, but it's filled with funny people.

Superjail is something most here would hate. Maybe Bucky would enjoy it? It's better if you watch it on drugs.

Delocated is pretty funny. It's a fake reality tv show about a family in the witness protection program, and they all wear masks and have their voices messed up.

Anybody watch Community? It's like Big Bang Theory, in that there's an aspergers character, except this show is actually funny.

revo
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Anybody watch Community? It's like Big Bang Theory, in that there's an aspergers character, except this show is actually funny.

I think we discussed Community someplace in this thread, or maybe at the old site. I did miss most of this past season, but I find it hysterical. I find they have classic episodes, or they miss completely.

johnnya24
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
how much has Entourage sucked this season?
It's been meandering towards its finish for 2 seasons now. Probably good timing to finish the series. These characters worked well when they were fish-out-of-water wannabes ... now they are all rich and successful ... even Turtle. Not the same show any more. Still better than most of the nonsense on TV.

Only watching 3 series right now: Entourage, True Blood and Breaking Bad (not even 2.5 hours per week of worthwhile telly)

Teenwolf
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I think we discussed Community someplace in this thread, or maybe at the old site. I did miss most of this past season, but I find it hysterical. I find they have classic episodes, or they miss completely.

The D&D episode with Fat Neil is amazing. Made me want to roll a 20-sided die.

ironfist
09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
It's been meandering towards its finish for 2 seasons now. Probably good timing to finish the series. These characters worked well when they were fish-out-of-water wannabes ... now they are all rich and successful ... even Turtle. Not the same show any more. Still better than most of the nonsense on TV.

Only watching 3 series right now: Entourage, True Blood and Breaking Bad (not even 2.5 hours per week of worthwhile telly)

I find it somewhat ironic that you talk about other "nonsense on TV" then list True Blood as a show you regularly watch. I watch it, though admit it is a bit of a guilty pleasure. That show has been a bit of a mess for the past few seasons, though it is still entertaining.

Fresno Bob
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
In some other thread I insulted Spartacus after watching the first episode or two. Well I kept watching and it kept getting better. Slowly at first but by ep 5 or 6 it hits its stride. Ending was felt a little rushed but overall this is one of the few shows I'm looking forward to another season of.

you know that there is a prequel season called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, right?

schlesinj
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
The D&D episode with Fat Neil is amazing. Made me want to roll a 20-sided die.

I enjoy Thursday night between Community, BB Theory and I like Parks and Rec and have been watching since the beginning. I also work with municipalities, so the characters and plots appeal to me.

Teenwolf
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I enjoy Thursday night between Community, BB Theory and I like Parks and Rec and have been watching since the beginning. I also work with municipalities, so the characters and plots appeal to me.

I watched the first 1 1/2 seasons of Parks and Rec and couldn't get into it. I think the libertarian is a funny character, and Aziz Ansari is great as expected, but the filming style of a fake documentary, just like The Office, is stale.

I think Big Bang Theory is truly awful. I've probably seen less than an hour of it, but to me, it's the type of garbage sitcom that we should have gotten past years ago.

Community is awesome though, and another plug for Louie, if anybody has yet to check it out.

schlesinj
09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I watched the first 1 1/2 seasons of Parks and Rec and couldn't get into it. I think the libertarian is a funny character, and Aziz Ansari is great as expected, but the filming style of a fake documentary, just like The Office, is stale.

I think Big Bang Theory is truly awful. I've probably seen less than an hour of it, but to me, it's the type of garbage sitcom that we should have gotten past years ago.

Community is awesome though, and another plug for Louie, if anybody has yet to check it out.

I liked the addition of Rob Lowe's character on Park and Rec.

Mithrandir
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite all time sit-coms.

TranaGreg
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM

hmmm ... who's this "we" that you speak of?

cardboardbox
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
you know that there is a prequel season called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, right?
yes! I plan to get to that one in a few months.

I really liked Andy Whitfield (Spartacus)... so sad he's been replaced. :(

johnnya24
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I find it somewhat ironic that you talk about other "nonsense on TV" then list True Blood as a show you regularly watch. I watch it, though admit it is a bit of a guilty pleasure. That show has been a bit of a mess for the past few seasons, though it is still entertaining.
It "might" be ironic if I said True Blood was excellent and then said other TV was nonsense. Just because I watch doesn't make it any good ... if True Blood in cancelled tomorrow ... I gain an extra hours sleep a week.

If you find my previous posts on True Blood you will see my feelings about it. I watch it because I have been watching it (habit) ... season one was promising, and it has steadily deteriorated since then. Episode 1 of this season was possibly the worst season opener of any series I have ever watched. I almost gave up on the series there and then, and only kept watching because there was nothing else on. That said, any series with Deborah Ann Woll and Anna Paquin regularly getting their kit off can't be all bad ...

http://images.buddytv.com/usrimages/usr500020379/500020379_d0341275-b790-4971-8e4f-8c5ea235c982-jessica-2.bmp

Breaking Bad hasn't been great either ...

Teenwolf
09-06-2011, 06:55 PM
hmmm ... who's this "we" that you speak of?

Oh, come on. Don't get your panties in a twist because I dissed Big Bang Theory. If you like cardboard cutout stereotypes, who am I to judge? I'm sure it'll last 11 seasons or whatever, and live up to the great standards of its precedents, Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace.

It's just opinion, stated with having watched less than an hour of any of the 3 series I mention. Because what I've seen has been terrible.

ironfist
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
It "might" be ironic if I said True Blood was excellent and then said other TV was nonsense. Just because I watch doesn't make it any good ... if True Blood in cancelled tomorrow ... I gain an extra hours sleep a week.

If you find my previous posts on True Blood you will see my feelings about it. I watch it because I have been watching it (habit) ... season one was promising, and it has steadily deteriorated since then. Episode 1 of this season was possibly the worst season opener of any series I have ever watched. I almost gave up on the series there and then, and only kept watching because there was nothing else on. That said, any series with Deborah Ann Woll and Anna Paquin regularly getting their kit off can't be all bad ...

http://images.buddytv.com/usrimages/usr500020379/500020379_d0341275-b790-4971-8e4f-8c5ea235c982-jessica-2.bmp

Breaking Bad hasn't been great either ...

I enjoy it for the camp that it is...sounds like you may enjoy it in a similar vein (pun not intended - at least not originally). I love the supernatural stuff and it's not fluffed up for tweens like Twilight or Vampire Diaries are, so it's one of the few shows in that genre that cater to adults. I guess it's kind of this generation's Dark Shadows (which I also enjoyed despite it's high cheese factor).

johnnya24
09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I enjoy it for the camp that it is...sounds like you may enjoy it in a similar vein (pun not intended - at least not originally). I love the supernatural stuff and it's not fluffed up for tweens like Twilight or Vampire Diaries are, so it's one of the few shows in that genre that cater to adults. I guess it's kind of this generation's Dark Shadows (which I also enjoyed despite it's high cheese factor).
It's getting camper and camper ... the first season wasn't quite like this. It had a serious undertone, and was referencing current affairs. Each character has gotten more and more ridiculous (along with the plots). I can tolerate it because I have been watching it ... but I could never stand Buffy or any of those series that seem to be on endless repeat on the lesser cable/satellite channels over here.

Torchwood and Dr Who also fall into the ridiculous camp stuff I can't stand ... but which seem to be willdy popular.

cardboardbox
09-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Oh, come on. Don't get your panties in a twist because I dissed Big Bang Theory. If you like cardboard cutout stereotypes, who am I to judge? I'm sure it'll last 11 seasons or whatever, and live up to the great standards of its precedents, Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace.

It's just opinion, stated with having watched less than an hour of any of the 3 series I mention. Because what I've seen has been terrible.I completely agree with you on BBT and crap like it. The only way I could understand why adults watch it is if they have very little time and cant watch an hour long show every week. If they dvr'd a 30 min sitcom, they can knock it out in about 21-22 min by skipping commercials and if they miss a week or a month it doesnt really matter because each ep is self contained.

schlesinj
09-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I completely agree with you on BBT and crap like it. The only way I could understand why adults watch it is if they have very little time and cant watch an hour long show every week. If they dvr'd a 30 min sitcom, they can knock it out in about 21-22 min by skipping commercials and if they miss a week or a month it doesnt really matter because each ep is self contained.

Agreed, I have 4 kids and have night meetings, so watching lengthy series is just not on the agenda for my lifestyle.

Mithrandir
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I completely agree with you on BBT and crap like it. The only way I could understand why adults watch it is if they have very little time and cant watch an hour long show every week. If they dvr'd a 30 min sitcom, they can knock it out in about 21-22 min by skipping commercials and if they miss a week or a month it doesnt really matter because each ep is self contained.

Me not smart like you CBB. Have to watch idiot shows like BBT.

BuckyBuckner
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Anyone still watching Rescue Me? The series finale is tonight. I feel like Dennis Leary's character has gotten far too unbelievable, he was ridiculous to begin with but passable. I'm looking forward to seeing how they end it tonight and somewhat happy the show will be over.

Mithrandir
09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone still watching Rescue Me? The series finale is tonight. I feel like Dennis Leary's character has gotten far too unbelievable, he was ridiculous to begin with but passable. I'm looking forward to seeing how they end it tonight and somewhat happy the show will be over.

"The Job" was freaking hilarious.....idiot Network producers cancelled it way too soon...

SeaDogStat
09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I watched the first 5 seasons on Netflix and part of 6 so far, but haven't seen any of 7 since I want to get thru 6 first... But I like the Rescue Me series...

BuckyBuckner
09-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I watched the first 5 seasons on Netflix and part of 6 so far, but haven't seen any of 7 since I want to get thru 6 first... But I like the Rescue Me series...

You should finish 6 first. At this point it's worth finishing up for you. I just found everything to be way too unrealistic at the end.

johnnya24
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Never watched Rescue Me ... oddly never even heard of it.

From wiki:

"Controversy surrounded Rescue Me after an episode in season 3 ("Sparks") showed Tommy raping his ex-wife, Janet. A few minutes later, Tommy leaves the home and Janet is on the couch reading a magazine. Two episodes later ("Zombies"), Janet forces herself on Tommy to make them "even". A later episode dealt with Sheila, the wife of Tommy's deceased cousin, drugging him with rohypnol and Viagra and then proceeding to rape him."

BuckyBuckner
09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Never watched Rescue Me ... oddly never even heard of it.

From wiki:

"Controversy surrounded Rescue Me after an episode in season 3 ("Sparks") showed Tommy raping his ex-wife, Janet. A few minutes later, Tommy leaves the home and Janet is on the couch reading a magazine. Two episodes later ("Zombies"), Janet forces herself on Tommy to make them "even". A later episode dealt with Sheila, the wife of Tommy's deceased cousin, drugging him with rohypnol and Viagra and then proceeding to rape him."

There is a good example of how ridiculous it can be. After a while you begin to say enough is enough.

Pauly
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
umm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this past week's Curb Your Enthusiasm was maybe the best, funniest episode ever....and Billy Buckner plays a key role. Check it out if you can.

Mithrandir
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
umm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this past week's Curb Your Enthusiasm was maybe the best, funniest episode ever....and Billy Buckner plays a key role. Check it out if you can.

Curb is one of the greatest shows of all time! But alas, i have no HBO, so i must wait for the DVD's :(

ironfist
09-08-2011, 09:22 AM

That was a great episode. I also liked the one with the Palestinian restaurant.

revo
09-10-2011, 09:43 AM
there's a new show on Animal Planet called "Tanked" that follows the antics of a family in the aquarium making business. Turns out I went to HS and college with one of the two leads, Brett Raymer. I wasn't friends with him but I knew him and always thought he was kind of a d--khead football player. But on this show, he's actually very funny and seems like the type of dude I would hang out with. Ah well.

Gregg
09-10-2011, 09:56 AM
there's a new show on Animal Planet called "Tanked" that follows the antics of a family in the aquarium making business. Turns out I went to HS and college with one of the two leads, Brett Raymer. I wasn't friends with him but I knew him and always thought he was kind of a d--khead football player. But on this show, he's actually very funny and seems like the type of dude I would hang out with. Ah well.

Maybe he grew up?

I am not sure which one is Brett.

We have seen about 4 shows. Seems like they are aquarium savants. As an ex aquarium owner I find it very interesting. They really do some nice work. At first I didn't like the wife/sister, but it seems she has a pretty good sense of humor.

revo
09-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe he grew up?

I am not sure which one is Brett.

We have seen about 4 shows. Seems like they are aquarium savants. As an ex aquarium owner I find it very interesting. They really do some nice work. At first I didn't like the wife/sister, but it seems she has a pretty good sense of humor.

he's the one with the goatee and shaved head. The redhead is his sister, and the "general" is his dad.

cardboardbox
09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Andy Whitfield passed away... Loved him in Spartacus.

Very sad news to report tonight, as we've learned that Andy Whitfield, the star of Spartacus: Blood and Sand has died. Whitfield was 39.http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1193725p1.html

:(

heyelander
09-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Not a lot I'm excited to see with the new season. :(

Show's I'll give a try
1) Homeland (http://www.sho.com/site/homeland/home.sho) - I'm actually excited about this one
2) Person of Interest (http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/) - Sounds like a retread idea but the cast and JJ Abrams has me intrigued.
3) Terranova (http://www.fox.com/terranova/) - curious but not particularly hopeful
4) Prime Suspect (http://www.nbc.com/prime-suspect/) - Eh, maybe filler.
5) Unforgettable (http://www.cinemablend.com/television/CBS-2011-Fall-TV-Premiere-Unforgettable-32133.html) - She's hot, but also looks like it's been covered a few times before.
6) Ringer (http://www.cwtv.com/shows/ringer) - Looks interesting maybe, but CW so probably not.
7) Grimm (http://www.nbc.com/grimm/) - Kind of curious here. Sounds like what Supernatural started out as.

Returning shows I'm most excited about:
1) Supernatural
2) Fringe
3) House

SeaDogStat
09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm with you on Homeland... I loved the last show Damian Lewis was in (Life...he was Charlie Crews, piecing together the frame that put him in prison). That was a great show...

heyelander
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Life was a fantastic show. :( The story arc was always kind of muddled but I thought the characters, music and individual episode story lines were great.

revo
09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
when the hell are the new seasons of Dexter and Mad Men starting??

heyelander
09-13-2011, 04:59 PM
when the hell are the new seasons of Dexter and Mad Men starting??

Dexter: Season Premiere: Sun, Oct 2 at 9 PM ET/PT
Mad Men: Looks like March 2012 - http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/amc-officially-greenlights-season-5-of-mad-men-for-early-2012-premiere/

Gregg
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I am looking forward to return of Justified the most. It has become my favorite television show.

I still get a laugh out of Rules of Engagement, Big Bang, and Funniest Home Videos.

Supernatural is a fun ride and we don't miss it.

I can't believe Criminal Minds is already in it's 6th season. I look forward to it as well.

I am not sure about the new shows yet.

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm with you on Homeland... I loved the last show Damian Lewis was in (Life...he was Charlie Crews, piecing together the frame that put him in prison). That was a great show...
I started watching Life, got about 5 episodes in, then heard it had been cancelled. I didn't bother continuing after that.

Homeland is intriguing

Terranova looks looks like one of those shows that will be filled full of formulaic plastic characters, and stupid unbelievable storylines (Falling Skies). The women will always look hot and groomed, and the men will have every hair in place ... despite crawling through the jungle for days. I really want to like this show ... but I think it's gonna be more Jericho than Rubicon if you know what I mean.

Finished the first 2 seasons of Treme ... once you acclimatise yourself with the pace of the series, it's terrific. Some great characters. I don't think it returns until the Spring however.

Returning shows:

Boardwalk Empire (Sep 25)
House (final season?)
The Waking Dead (Oct 16)
Dexter (Oct 2)
American Dad

Mad Men (back in March I think)

Is anyone watching Hung? Any good?

Mithrandir
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I am looking forward to return of Justified the most. It has become my favorite television show.

I still get a laugh out of Rules of Engagement, Big Bang, and Funniest Home Videos.

Supernatural is a fun ride and we don't miss it.

I can't believe Criminal Minds is already in it's 6th season. I look forward to it as well.

I am not sure about the new shows yet.

I love Rules of Engagement..moved to Saturday night this year WTF???

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Forgot about Hell On Wheels (Nov 6):

http://www.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/how-about.jpg

http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels

I don't think I have enough time to watch all these :)

frae
09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Ok I watch an unhealthy amount of TV and abuse my DVR like no other. Anyway I have been writing a fall tv preview for people at work and friends for a few years. Some of the comments here will make no sense, but take a look if you like it is a google doc...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N2yqYsh4e31Z0ak0snLWu-lkeE8ftxFYcXk2SFOzKw8/edit?hl=en_US

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Ok I watch an unhealthy amount of TV and abuse my DVR like no other. Anyway I have been writing a fall tv preview for people at work and friends for a few years. Some of the comments here will make no sense, but take a look if you like it is a google doc...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N2yqYsh4e31Z0ak0snLWu-lkeE8ftxFYcXk2SFOzKw8/edit?hl=en_US
Get out much? :p

frae
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Get out much? :p

3 kids man, 3 kids.

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
3 kids man, 3 kids.
How's that waste-line?

DMT
09-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Castle didn't even make your list?!? Pretty light fare but the lead guy (Nathan Fillion) is real slick and Stana Katic is smoking hot. Yes, yes I know.

http://www.superiorpics.com/pictures2/Katic_sd2.jpg

As a new father, I'll probably check out Up All Night. I've tried a few eps of a few of your other sit-com recs but I just haven't laughed much during most of them (HIMYM, BBT, Office). Modern Family seems pretty good but I need to go back to the beginning first. I don't have AMC (stupid Dish Network) but I'll look forward to hearing the reviews on their new one. I disagree about The Killing, though. It really lost it about 1/2 way through and that ending was just a deal-breaker for me. I still have to see season 1 of The Waking Dead but my sis burned it for me.

DMT
09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I stuck with True Blood after that painfully bad opener and although it thankfully got better it has gotten worse every single season.

Breaking Bad is by far the best show IMO. This season hasn't been as fantastically awesome as last season but it is still excellent and just this week we saw the beginning of the end.

revo
09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
The Walking Dead also returns October 16th. Looking forward to that one also.

frae
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
How's that waste-line?

I ride a stationary bike once a week, run 2 miles once, and play basketball once. So far it is holding, but there is no signs of ever losing weight again as I generally eat like crap.

johnnya24
09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I stuck with True Blood after that painfully bad opener and although it thankfully got better it has gotten worse every single season.

Breaking Bad is by far the best show IMO. This season hasn't been as fantastically awesome as last season but it is still excellent and just this week we saw the beginning of the end.
Agree and agree.

TB has been tolerable after that shocking opener ... nothing more than tolerable though. I only watch it out of habit now. I would not recommend it to anyone after season 1 (which was actually very good). It's amazing how every single character has become steadily less and less convincing.

The last 2/3 episodes of Breaking Bad have been brilliant ... although I thought the first half of this season was pottering along quite mundanely ... but its shaping up for a great climax. There was only 1 more season of BB planned, but I think they have split it up into two seasons of 8 each (I think they may have already filmed it) ... milk that golden cow!

heyelander
09-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Forgot about Hell On Wheels (Nov 6)

thanks for reminding me. good stuff!

heyelander
09-14-2011, 12:52 AM

Nikita 8 PM CW September 23rd –Maggie Q kicking butt and looking good. Friday night is usually god-awful and Nikita is not highbrow TV, but it is solid entertainment on a night with nothing else.

Holy crap... somehow I missed the season finale (without realizing it) and just saw it a couple of nights ago via rerun. The last show turned the entire series upside down. Looks interesting.

Gregg
09-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Forgot about Hell On Wheels (Nov 6):

http://www.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/how-about.jpg

http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels

I don't think I have enough time to watch all these :)

Thanks, I am in!

heyelander
09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

I've never seen Breaking Bad so I can't really comment on it, but I'm pretty sure Archer is the best show on TV. :)

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I've never seen Breaking Bad so I can't really comment on it, but I'm pretty sure Archer is the best show on TV. :)
Controversial

heyelander
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Controversial

It's also an A.

Vintage Television Draft:

1.01 X-Files

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 12:30 PM
1.02 Quantum Leap

Gregg
09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
It's also an A.

Vintage Television Draft:

1.01 X-Files

umm...The X-Files start with T.

but in the event that we do not count the The's...

1.02- The X Factor

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
1.04 I Love Lucy

Gregg
09-14-2011, 12:40 PM
1.04- Zorro- Walt Disney

senorsheep
09-14-2011, 12:40 PM
1.05 - Quincy

http://timvp.com/quincy6.jpg

heyelander
09-14-2011, 01:22 PM
1.07 Twilight Zone

cardboardbox
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Nikita 8 PM CW September 23rd –Maggie Q kicking butt and looking good. Friday night is usually god-awful and Nikita is not highbrow TV, but it is solid entertainment on a night with nothing else. if you are watching Nikita over Fringe, you are making a massive mistake.

edit: looked at your google doc and saw that you dont think you can get into Fringe now. If you started from the beginning, you could cut out over half of season 1 and 2 and get 95% of the continuing storyline. I havent gone back to look over season three yet but I imagine there are many episodes that can be dumped if youre pressed for time.

TranaGreg
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
surprised it's still available ...
1.08 Star Trek, The Next Generation

frae
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Is anyone actually interested in a TV draft? We could use decades, not letters. Something like 5 shows from each decade and a few wild cards?

johnnya24
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
surprised it's still available ...
1.08 Star Trek, The Next Generation
It's a vintage TV draft, so you want to be looking for your QUIZY(X)'s not your BCMSW's

If you can convince people that it's The <b>N</b>ext Generation you might have some good value there :)

Mithrandir
09-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Is anyone actually interested in a TV draft? We could use decades, not letters. Something like 5 shows from each decade and a few wild cards?

count me in.

ironfist
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I watched the first episodes today of Up All Night and Free Agents. As a father with a new baby I can certainly relate to a lot in Up All Night, so I thought it was a pretty good, solid first episode. I'll definitely give it a few more views. Can't say the same for Free Agents, which I thought was obnoxious and annoying.

revo
09-15-2011, 12:00 AM
last season of Entourage sucked donkey d--k

Gregg
09-15-2011, 12:26 AM

In....

revo
09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
why does it never fail that the chick with the great rack is the first one to go on Survivor? That's like the third or fourth time that's happened. What Survivor needs to do to overcome that is just add more chicks with great racks.

johnnya24
09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Hung is excellent ... on to season 2 now. I heartily recommend .

DMT
09-16-2011, 03:25 AM
'Up All Night' had a couple somewhat funny lines but overall it was pretty awful. I might give it one more shot.

schlesinj
09-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Make sure you guys catch "A football Life" part 1 aired last night. It followed Bellich during the 99 season. It was excellent and ironically had some funny parts.

One of them was during Preseason Wes Welker the regular punt returner for the Pats was hurt and a rookie named Jullian Edelman was the punt returner for the game and after they showed him return a punt for a TD. BB says to Welker, every hear of Wally Pipp? Welker did not have a clue and BB say he was the guy who was the 1B before Lou Gehrig...Welker says to BB he can have the job and BB says to him "way to compete."

Judge Jude
09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Thought Hawaii 5-0 remake was good but not great in its rookie season.

But the Season 2 premiere the other day, just watched it on DVR - wow, that was impressive.
Haven't seen "Lost," but I think someone said the bald white guy from that show is the new guy on this one.

Not a lot in common with the original 1970s show beyond the character names. Nice touch turning "Kono" from a fat, middle-aged local guy into a smokin', surfboard-totin' Grace Park in this version. Yowza.

Erik
09-23-2011, 09:26 AM
'Up All Night' had a couple somewhat funny lines but overall it was pretty awful. I might give it one more shot.

The writing is just terrible, which is a huge disappointment given the cast and premise. It's Three's Company-level bad.

Erik
09-23-2011, 09:28 AM

But the Season 2 premiere the other day, just watched it on DVR - wow, that was impressive.
Haven't seen "Lost," but I think someone said the bald white guy from that show is the new guy on this one.

Not a lot in common with the original 1970s show beyond the character names. Nice touch turning "Kono" from a fat, middle-aged local guy into a smokin', surfboard-totin' Grace Park in this version. Yowza.

The season finale of last year really raised the bar. It went from being a pleasant procedural to something much more than that. Both the bald dude and the Asian guy without the glasses were on Lost. The Asian guy with the glasses was on Heroes.

johnnya24
09-23-2011, 09:30 AM
The season finale of last year really raised the bar. It went from being a pleasant procedural to something much more than that. Both the bald dude and the Asian guy without the glasses were on Lost. The Asian guy with the glasses was on Heroes.
Think of the money they could have saved if they found a bald Asian dude with glasses

http://www.alivenotdead.com/attachments/2009/09/28/03/352636_2009092803000114.jpg

revo
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
gave a few new shows a shot:
- Two Broke Girls -- sucked ass
- Whitney -- sucked ass
- Person of Interest -- very good. Cazievel is great. This one will be added to the DVR.

Any Two and a Half Men fans? What did you think of Ashton Kutcher? If that's the character he's going with, that's a huge disappointment and pretty annoying.

Mithrandir
09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
gave a few new shows a shot:
- Two Broke Girls -- sucked ass
- Whitney -- sucked ass
- Person of Interest -- very good. Cazievel is great. This one will be added to the DVR.

Any Two and a Half Men fans? What did you think of Ashton Kutcher? If that's the character he's going with, that's a huge disappointment and pretty annoying.

Two Broke Girls, Person of Interest and Two and Half Men are on the DVR.. yet to watch. also How I Met Your mother and Big Bang Theory...

When will i find the time? I have season 4 of Mad Men waiting...I want to watch Season 4 of The Wire.. I have half of last season of the Mentalist to watch..plus last night's ep...somethings gotta give :)

Erik
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Person of Interest was a little clunky in its pacing, but I'm sure that's something that will be fixed over time. But the premise is very good and Michael Emerson (another Lost alum) is always worth watching.

Gregg
09-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Mrs. Gregg liked the show better than I did (watched it from day 1). I found it tolerable with some interesting moments. It did seem to get better as it went on. We have not seen this season's kick off yet. DVR'd, most likely tonight. Glad to hear it has stepped up.

joncarlos
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Person of Interest seems a little more procedural than I was expecting from JJ Abrams. I love Michael Emerson so I'll keep watching, but I'm hoping it gets a little more mysterious. I think Cazievel is going to be good too.

Five-O had a really good debut. For a show I thought would be a lot of fluff it's actually turned out well. And yeah... Grace Park.

I actually kind of liked Two Broke Girls. Pretty raunchy for a network show. Will probably get old fast. We are still watching HIMYM, the first 2 episodes had some laughs but really we're just sticking it out until the end at this point.

Mrs. JC is watching a bunch of other shows. Ringer is not bad, I like SMG but it seems like it was written by a film student with a film noir textbook and nothing else. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Revenge, it seemed pretty soap-opera-ey, so that's a good time for me to write my blog. Nice scenery in the Hamptons though.

revo
09-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Person of Interest seems a little more procedural than I was expecting from JJ Abrams. I love Michael Emerson so I'll keep watching, but I'm hoping it gets a little more mysterious. I think Cazievel is going to be good too.

Five-O had a really good debut. For a show I thought would be a lot of fluff it's actually turned out well. And yeah... Grace Park.

I actually kind of liked Two Broke Girls. Pretty raunchy for a network show. Will probably get old fast. We are still watching HIMYM, the first 2 episodes had some laughs but really we're just sticking it out until the end at this point.

Mrs. JC is watching a bunch of other shows. Ringer is not bad, I like SMG but it seems like it was written by a film student with a film noir textbook and nothing else. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Revenge, it seemed pretty soap-opera-ey, so that's a good time for me to write my blog. Nice scenery in the Hamptons though.

yeah, HIMYM has steadily disappointed over the last few seasons. It had a nice run. Hopefully CBS reveals who the mother is (probably Robyn) before they yank the show.

DMT
09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
The writing is just terrible, which is a huge disappointment given the cast and premise. It's Three's Company-level bad.

Yep, the writing is terrible and the characters are completely unbelievable.

Is anyone watching 'The Middle'? My mom told me about it so I watched the premiere and thought it was decent.

Mithrandir
09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
yeah, HIMYM has steadily disappointed over the last few seasons. It had a nice run. Hopefully CBS reveals who the mother is (probably Robyn) before they yank the show.

I still enjoy this show very much and haven't been disappointed with the last few years. Robyn can't be the mother as Bob Saget keeps calling her 'Aunt Robyn' to the kids.

cardboardbox
09-23-2011, 11:32 AM
The only new show I'm giving a shot right away is Terra Nova. Too many first year shows get cancelled.

swampdragon
09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
The show with Zooey Deschamel was actually pretty funny.

The X factor is truly wretched.

Actually - the reruns of Big Bang Theory on TBS are great

Trautdiggity
09-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Agreed on the Deschanel Show (The new Girl I think?)

Agreed on Whitney, it was painful

So glad Modern Family is back. I think that and Family Guy are the only shows in the past few years that have caused me to pause the DVR until I stopped laughing.

heyelander
09-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I liked Person of Interest last night. I'm glad they didn't bog it down too much in some huge story arc. I imagine there will be one, just glad it wasn't all thrown at us in episode one. I hope it's more slowly developed like in Fringe or something.

ironfist
09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
The New Girl was just ok for me, but I think that's because I saw the promos so much that I pretty much felt like I saw the episode already. I laughed at the promos when I first saw them, so I'll stick with this one. Plus I like Zooey so we'll see how it goes.

I watched a clip of Whitney online yesterday, while the little one was monopolizing the TV and it was awful. Looked like two people reading from a joke book and not coming across as real people at all. I expected them to turn toward me and wink and nudge whenever they made a "joke". The stupid laugh track coming in after every line didn't help either. It felt like an Abbott and Costello routine set in a sitcom

The Middle is a good solid show - not the best, but it's usually entertaining.

The first two episodes of It's Always Sunny have been great. Anyone else watching?

Mithrandir
09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
The New Girl was just ok for me, but I think that's because I saw the promos so much that I pretty much felt like I saw the episode already. I laughed at the promos when I first saw them, so I'll stick with this one. Plus I like Zooey so we'll see how it goes.

I watched a clip of Whitney online yesterday, while the little one was monopolizing the TV and it was awful. Looked like two people reading from a joke book and not coming across as real people at all. I expected them to turn toward me and wink and nudge whenever they made a "joke". The stupid laugh track coming in after every line didn't help either. It felt like an Abbott and Costello routine set in a sitcom

The first two episodes of It's Always Sunny have been great. Anyone else watching?

I saw the first episode of Sunny, last night's episode is on the DVR for tonight after the child goes to sleep.

Trautdiggity
09-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Actually I felt like Whitney's boyfriend in the show was winking after he told a joke

johnnya24
09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Terra Nova ... 2 seasons max. Horrible.

Take a bunch of pretty, very well groomed people, drop them in extreme jungle frontier land (with their cosmetics and skin care products of course), add a dollop of terrible dialogue and hammy acting, and top it all of with some horrible direction and scene setting ... and hey presto ... another disastrous TV show. You think they'd learn.

No wonder the dinosaurs went extinct if they were half as pathetic as these ones. The scene when the vicious razor toothed Slasher ripped open the vehicle, dragged out the kid, then started gnawing on the kids legs like a gummy old dog was hilarious ... or at last it would have been if I wasn't already dosing off by that stage.

Gregg
09-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I liked Person of Interest last night. I'm glad they didn't bog it down too much in some huge story arc. I imagine there will be one, just glad it wasn't all thrown at us in episode one. I hope it's more slowly developed like in Fringe or something.

I loved this show!

If it continues like the premier it will fast become one of my favorite shows.

Not many shows I actually look forward to.

cardboardbox
09-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Terra Nova ... 2 seasons max. Horrible.two seasons is actually somewhat successful. Only a handful of shows get to their second season.

I thought Terra Nova showed a good deal of potential but also some problems in filming and acting. It felt clumsy and old. Like the old syndicated action shows from the 1990s and early 2000s. The pilot was made quite a while ago I believe so they've had some time to hopefully fix some of those issues.

heyelander
09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Terra Nova had a decent bit of what I hoped it would have, and nearly all of what I feared it would have. It was the pilot though, so I'll give it some more episodes to see where it's headed. Still curious, but with low expectations.

Erik
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Actually - the reruns of Big Bang Theory on TBS are great

Season 2 of TBBT is absolute money. All of it.

cardboardbox
09-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Terra Nova had a decent bit of what I hoped it would have, and nearly all of what I feared it would have. It was the pilot though, so I'll give it some more episodes to see where it's headed. Still curious, but with low expectations.agreed for the most part but my expectations are at least average right now.

The black woman appears to be one of the worst actresses I've come across.

Erik
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM
The black woman appears to be one of the worst actresses I've come across.

We're not talking about True Blood, are we?

cardboardbox
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
We're not talking about True Blood, are we?
never seen it.

johnnya24
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
never seen it.
I believe that Erik is questioning Emmy award winning potential of Rutina Wesley

http://likeawhisper.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/tara-and-sookie.jpg

Erik
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Indeed I am, not that Emmy voters are the ultimate authority on good acting.

Judge Jude
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM
"Actually - the reruns of Big Bang Theory on TBS are great"

The actress who plays Penny, the female character - what's her 'fastball' arc, from year 1 til now?

Dwight Gooden?

She was unhittable for a bit, but now she usually just looks like a good innings-eater, from the recent episodes I've seen. Still rotation-worthy, but not an All-Star.

:)

revo
09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Pan Am -- stunk

Boardwalk Empire -- excellent

Dexter & Homeland start this Sunday!

johnnya24
09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Pan Am -- stunk

I'm saving up the final 2 episodes of Breaking Bad and the first 2 of Boardwalk Empire for next week ... will probably also line up the final episode from season 1 of Boardwalk as a reminder.

Looks like being a good season ... lots of quality shows out there.

revo
09-28-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm saving up the final 2 episodes of Breaking Bad and the first 2 of Boardwalk Empire for next week ... will probably also line up the final episode from season 1 of Boardwalk as a reminder.

I'm disappointed in the quality of the new shows. As of now, only Person of Interest is sticking, and I'm sure Homeland will as well. Thankfully I found some decent shows on the Food and Travel Networks!!

DMT
09-28-2011, 12:18 AM

The last episode of Breaking Bad was insane, I can't believe you guys let me have that at the end of round 2!!

johnnya24
09-28-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm disappointed in the quality of the new shows. As of now, only Person of Interest is sticking, and I'm sure Homeland will as well. Thankfully I found some decent shows on the Food and Travel Networks!!
If even a couple of the new shows are good, I probably won't have time to keep up *FraeScoffs*

Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
House
Walking Dead
Hell On Wheels (Nov)
American Dad
Hung

And I'll try:

Homeland
Boss
Person of Interest
Prime Suspect
Enlightened

ironfist
09-28-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm really disappointed in the Travel Channel lately. They should just rename it the Food and Ghost channel because there are hardly any actual travel shows on there. Unless you count going to Philly to get a cheesesteak "travel". Guess I'll have to stick with PBS for any real travel shows.

johnnya24
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
The last episode of Breaking Bad was insane, I can't believe you guys let me have that at the end of round 2!!
I couldn't pick Breaking Bad ahead of Twin Peaks and Deadwood ... so direct your gloating at the other folks :)

Looking forward to the last 2 eps ... but it's been a struggle not to watch Sunday's episode ... the second half of this season has been insane.

DMT
09-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I couldn't pick Breaking Bad ahead of Twin Peaks and Deadwood ... so direct your gloating at the other folks :)

Looking forward to the last 2 eps ... but it's been a struggle not to watch Sunday's episode ... the second half of this season has been insane.

I never saw Twin Peaks so can't comment. Deadwood is one of my all-time favorites as well, but I'm absolutely certain that Breaking Bad will actually have an ending so it will ultimately rank higher for me...it's already top 5 on my board.

Erik
09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Suburgatory = a show about the suburbs written by people who have never lived in the suburbs, or hate them, or both. Jeremy Sisto deserves better.

ironfist
09-28-2011, 10:58 PM
X-Factor is just a terrible American Idol clone. Completely milking it for every tear. I'd think that every 2-hour episode features about 15 minutes worth of actual singing. Other than the live audience and the no-age limit, it's exactly like Idol. I'm trying so hard to convince my wife to let me erase this from the DVR schedule.

DMT
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Suburgatory = a show about the suburbs written by people who have never lived in the suburbs, or hate them, or both. Jeremy Sisto deserves better.

I saw just a snippet of it tonight on accident, seriously, Billy Chenowith would murder that guy.

johnnya24
09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
X-Factor is just a terrible American Idol clone. Completely milking it for every tear. I'd think that every 2-hour episode features about 15 minutes worth of actual singing. Other than the live audience and the no-age limit, it's exactly like Idol. I'm trying so hard to convince my wife to let me erase this from the DVR schedule.
I saw a bit, and got frustrated with all the commercials and the sob story music for dramatic effect. But then again, these things have always annoyed me about mainstream US TV. Besides, the winner is already pretty much decided as far as I can see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqjroNlL4pI

I'm so glad you guys have taken Simon Cowell full time (HAHA :p). He has committed so many musical atrocities ... and I'm not even talking about his Pop Idol / X Factor career.

Erik
09-29-2011, 12:34 AM
I saw just a snippet of it tonight on accident, seriously, Billy Chenowith would murder that guy.

So would Detective Lupo.

revo
09-29-2011, 12:43 AM

I like American Idol, and I could not sit through the first hour of this knockoff. I have secretly punted it from the DVR, hope my wife won't notice.

heyelander
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Anyone catch American Horror Story last night? On one hand I thought it was pretty damn interesting and tense... on the other I thought, I hope this doesn't go on forever. It seems like it would make a really good mini-series, but I can't imagine watching it for 3 seasons.

revo
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
What did everyone think of Homeland? This one has instantly become a must-watch.

ironfist
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Anyone catch American Horror Story last night? On one hand I thought it was pretty damn interesting and tense... on the other I thought, I hope this doesn't go on forever. It seems like it would make a really good mini-series, but I can't imagine watching it for 3 seasons.

I agree with your assessment pretty much. It was pretty spooky and interesting at times and silly at others. It would probably be better as a mini-series or maybe a different house and cast every season even.

johnnya24
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Homeland had a promising start ... probably the kiss of death.

frae
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Homeland had a promising start ... probably the kiss of death.

I really liked Homeland and think it has a chance to be very good, at least I hope.

I also watched American Horror and enjoyed it, but like the others said I am not sure it can be more than 1 season.

Walking Dead is back in a little over a week, I can't wait. And yeah Breaking Bad ends this Sunday, it should be awesome.

Pauly
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
The League starts tonite on FX....I, for one, wont be missing it.

Mithrandir
10-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Pan Am -- stunk

I just watched the pilot episode of Pan Am and very much enjoyed it.

revo
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I just watched the pilot episode of Pan Am and very much enjoyed it.

Didja? I've never seen a period show rub your nose so much in the fact that it's a period show. We get that it's 1963. But people in 1963 weren't saying, "wow, this is 1963! This will be so awesome in 50 years!" In Mad Men, things just happened around them. In Pan Am, it's way too 60s hokey -- the whole Bay of Pigs rescue, the new planes, the wide-eyed stewardesses, everyone loves their jobs, the spies, ack. People in 1963 were definitely not happy-go-lucky just because it was 1963.

johnnya24
10-10-2011, 12:56 PM
The point I thought Homeland could the real deal: in the pilot, when the Clare Danes character attempted to offer herself to her mentor to prevent him from turning her in. That was brilliant, subtle and very awkward.

Mithrandir
10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Didja? I've never seen a period show rub your nose so much in the fact that it's a period show. We get that it's 1963. But people in 1963 weren't saying, "wow, this is 1963! This will be so awesome in 50 years!" In Mad Men, things just happened around them. In Pan Am, it's way too 60s hokey -- the whole Bay of Pigs rescue, the new planes, the wide-eyed stewardesses, everyone loves their jobs, the spies, ack. People in 1963 were definitely not happy-go-lucky just because it was 1963.

That's way more thought than i put into it.

frae
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
The point I thought Homeland could the real deal: in the pilot, when the Clare Danes character attempted to offer herself to her mentor to prevent him from turning her in. That was brilliant, subtle and very awkward.

Yeah her character was pretty good. I am looking forward to watching the 2nd episode that I DVR'ed tonight. I also need to watch the season finale of Breaking Bad tonight. It is going to be a good night of TV.

Gregg
10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah her character was pretty good. I am looking forward to watching the 2nd episode that I DVR'ed tonight. I also need to watch the season finale of Breaking Bad tonight. It is going to be a good night of TV.

I will be watching the Bears vs. Lions game. I hope it is a good night for tv.

Erik
10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I will be watching the Bears vs. Lions game. I hope it is a good night for my fantasy teams.

cardboardbox
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
That's way more thought than i put into it.
really?

johnnya24
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Claire Danes was excellent in Temple Grandin. That's worth checking out if you are looking for a movie to watch ... not that you are ever wanting for something to watch! ;)

frae
10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Claire Danes was excellent in Temple Grandin. That's worth checking out if you are looking for a movie to watch ... not that you are ever wanting for something to watch! ;)

haha, yeah my DVR is pretty consistently in the 80% full range.

Of the new shows, I am not sure anything is sticking besides Homeland. I am going to keep watching Person of Interest, but nothing else that was new is really sticking. I am hopeful that Hell on Wheels is going to be good too.

Mithrandir
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
really?

yeah really.

frae
10-10-2011, 08:48 PM
haha, yeah my DVR is pretty consistently in the 80% full range.

Of the new shows, I am not sure anything is sticking besides Homeland. I am going to keep watching Person of Interest, but nothing else that was new is really sticking. I am hopeful that Hell on Wheels is going to be good too.

Forgot American Horror, liked that too.

heyelander
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Forgot American Horror, liked that too.

I've thought Prime Suspect has been decent. Same crime procedural, but the characters seem decent so far. Sort of has the same feel for me that Detroit 1-8-7 had last season, although I think Detroit was a better show.

DMT
10-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Just saw the Breaking Bad finale, wow.

overkill94
10-11-2011, 03:38 AM

First episode had its moments but ultimately fell a little flat.

Second episode was AWESOME. Frank and Mac's rum ham story arc is one of the funniest the show has ever had.

Third and fourth were pretty solid but nothing to write home about. They definitely push the envelope with every episode in terms of depravity and shock factor which leads to some pure gold but also some cringing.

frae
10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Just saw the Breaking Bad finale, wow.

Agreed, I still can't believe they did that x2. Just awesome TV!

I also enjoyed the 2nd episode of Homeland and am definitely in for this season.

willthethrill
10-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I gave up on Terra Nova after two shows. My wife watched the 3rd episode last night and said, "you're right. I'm done watching."

I like Ringer so far. Big Buffy fan disclaimer.

cardboardbox
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I gave up on Terra Nova after two shows. My wife watched the 3rd episode last night and said, "you're right. I'm done watching."I think I'll stop watching it but still let it pile up on the watch queue for later. I cant quite figure out how to put into words what I dont like. Its the most fake feeling show I've watched in a long time and I dont mean the setting. I'm acutely aware that everyone is acting (and many not well) except maybe buff old guy. Every part of the environment feels so fake, and not just the fake stuff. The kids I pray will get eaten by a dino sometime soon, especially the obnoxious son. Who cares about the daughter dating in between scenes of slightly more serious stuff (Abrams used to do this on Alias and I hated it then also but it was their schtick).

Add to this a lack of a serialized plot which for me is something of a requirement but I know others actually like this format better... bleh...

Fox has already declined to purchase a full season so they arent crazy about it apparently.

johnnya24
10-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Agreed, I still can't believe they did that x2. Just awesome TV!

I also enjoyed the 2nd episode of Homeland and am definitely in for this season.
Just caught up with BB ... epic ... deserving of the last ever episode. I wonder where they will take the final series with a lot of the sub plots now closed off. Intriguing.

I too have given up on Terra Nova. Gave the second episode a courtesy watch and never made it to the end. Just a horrible show.

Homeland is getting two big thumbs up so far, and the new series of Dexter looks interesting.

DMT
10-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Just caught up with BB ... epic ... deserving of the last ever episode. I wonder where they will take the final series with a lot of the sub plots now closed off. Intriguing.

I thought the same.

Dexter looks interesting.

I don't know, I wasn't that enthralled with the 1st episode, hopefully you're right. That show has been hit or miss for me. (Seasons 1, 2, & 4, hits; 3 & 5 misses).

DMT
10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
I thought the same.

I don't know, I wasn't that enthralled with the 1st episode, hopefully you're right. That show has been hit or miss for me. (Seasons 1, 2, & 4, hits; 3 & 5 misses).

Episode 2 of Dexter was much better, Mos Def is great.

frae
10-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Just caught episode 1 of season 2 from The Walking Dead last night and I loved it.

johnnya24
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Saw the first part of that PBS series on Prohibition ... great stuff. Didn't realise that the phrase Teetotaler came from the Total Abstinence movement ... and has nothing at all to do with tea :)

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/