Insurance on jewelry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance on jewelry

Married Junkies - Do you have insurance on your wife's engagement ring? I called the insurance agent today about it and they said it would cost abut $20-$25 per $1000 appraised value. This seems relatively high to me but not having done this before maybe it's not. So for those that have it:

What's a reasonable rate to pay for insurance on the rock?

I'm in flyover country and ours works out to about $9-10/1000 on my wife's jewelry. She's inherited a couple of high-end rings from grandparents, so we have a dedicated jewelry rider.

Costs will vary based on area, but even in NYC, 2.5% seems high. I'd think you could get a rider for $15-18/1000.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, we have it as an add-on to our homeowners. I think we're paying more like 10-12 per $1000 but don't remember for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yeah, we have it as an add-on to our homeowners. I think we're paying more like 10-12 per $1000 but don't remember for sure.
        Ditto -- add it as a rider if you own a home.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Ditto -- add it as a rider if you own a home.
          I don't own a home. Do you think the rate is so much lower because it's in addition to a homeowner's policy? I haven't shopped around yet but I had hoped to include it with our renter's insurance but if the quote is ridiculously high I'll have to shop... anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
            I don't own a home. Do you think the rate is so much lower because it's in addition to a homeowner's policy? I haven't shopped around yet but I had hoped to include it with our renter's insurance but if the quote is ridiculously high I'll have to shop... anybody else?
            I think the answer is obvious...buy a home.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
              I don't really know, but yes, I would think so. Maybe homes are less likely to be burglarized than apartments. Maybe apartment insurance is just more expensive for everything. Maybe it depends on the area you live. Maybe they're prejudiced against apartment people. (Don't know why, I usually wish I still was one)

Comment

Do you have renters insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                  Do you have renters insurance?
                  Yes. The quote was from the agent with whom we have the renter's policy

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    I got my insurance as a totally separate policy (not homeowner's or renter's or whatever) and pay about $11 per $1000. Company is Jeweler's Mutual, if I remember correctly.
                    You would think the add on would be cheaper since they already insure you in another capacity. I guess I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Maybe it's cheaper where I live???
                      Everything in NY is more expensive.

Comment

I got mine from my home insurance provider (State Farm) and while it is not on my home owners policy, I get a discount on it. I think it comes out to about $10-$11 per $1000 per year. My friend has the same policy and she lost hers about 3 or 4 years ago and they replaced it with no hassle.

Comment

Isnt it just more cost-efficient to sell your wife?
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            Isnt it just more cost-efficient to sell your wife?
                            Yeah, show that one to your wife. Then enjoy sleeping on the couch.

Getting back to the subject--I suggest looking for a separate policy or a new insurance agent (if he/she hasn't thought of adding it as a rider on your renter's policy). Whatever you wind up paying is worth it, for the peace of mind if nothing else.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Working...
                            X