2011 Scripps National Spelling Bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Scripps National Spelling Bee

My buddy's daughter has made it to the semifinals of the Scripps National Spelling Bee

Lily is one of 41 trying to make the Finals (10-12 contestants) tonight. It is on ESPN right now.

Good luck Lily!
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

She is in round 7 (18 spellers left) unk:

And through to round 8....correctly spelling "dolichopodous"
    Last edited by SeaDogStat; 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM.
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Yikes her Rd 5 word was worse:

batrachophagous
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
        Yikes her Rd 5 word was worse:

batrachophagous
        C'mon...feeding on frogs.....everyone knows that one... :explode:

Comment

I think if one of the last two misspell, that will be the end and the finalists set (12 max)

Comment

She made the Finals! Congrats Lily! Thirteen finalists tonight on ESPN...

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Not to take anything away from Lilly (and congrats to her) but anybody else feel like this thing is fairly useless (and now annoying by the way it's gotten blown out of proportion)?

Hear me out - it's a similar argument that is currently raging about whether handwriting should be taught in schools: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/us/28cursive.html

With the development of electronic communications, the ability to spell flawlessly has become far less important. In many situations, as long as you're close, you can be corrected automatically. If you're not even sure if you have the word correct, you can cross reference other materials in the flash of a mouse click. Don't get me wrong, you have to be able to spell otherwise you won't be able to write (at least not yet) but what's the value of this in a new media world?

Comment

Right on!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                    Not to take anything away from Lilly (and congrats to her) but anybody else feel like this thing is fairly useless (and now annoying by the way it's gotten blown out of proportion)?

Hear me out - it's a similar argument that is currently raging about whether handwriting should be taught in schools: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/us/28cursive.html

With the development of electronic communications, the ability to spell flawlessly has become far less important. In many situations, as long as you're close, you can be corrected automatically. If you're not even sure if you have the word correct, you can cross reference other materials in the flash of a mouse click. Don't get me wrong, you have to be able to spell otherwise you won't be able to write (at least not yet) but what's the value of this in a new media world?
                    What I think is great about spelling and spelling competitions are the things that are required to be a great speller, rather than the spelling itself: primarily vocabulary acquisition with a strong side helping of etymology. I think those two things are still very important for reading and knowledge acquisition, as well as for writing and knowledge-sharing, all of which are critical skills.

Comment

This is really quite a silly argument IMO. Just because tools exist to supplement one's learning does not reduce the importance of education.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        This is really quite a silly argument IMO. Just because tools exist to supplement one's learning does not reduce the importance of education.
                        Not downplaying the importance of eduction at all. Rather in a world where we have assistance for spelling the outlandish, I'm arguing that I don't see the value in the ability to extemporaneously spell the outlandish. Fly - I agree that vocabulary acquisition is very important but there are limits. When you get to the point of being able to use words like batrachophagous in a sentence haven't you jumped the shark spelling's utility? Wouldn't the time be better invested in reading or entering writing competitions?

Comment

Not downplaying the importance of eduction at all. Rather in a world where we have assistance for spelling the outlandish, I'm arguing that I don't see the value in the ability to extemporaneously spell the outlandish. Fly - I agree that vocabulary acquisition is very important but there are limits. When you get to the point of being able to use words like batrachophagous in a sentence haven't you jumped the shark spelling's utility? Wouldn't the time be better invested in reading or entering writing competitions?
                          I guess it depends how much of your prep work is word-list memorization and how much of it is more robust study of etymology and linguistics. I think the former may well amount to a waste of brain cells by the time you get to "batrachophagous", but not the latter. It's like the difference between memorizing the stats on the back of baseball cards and actually engaging in sabermetric analysis.

Comment

Vocabulary skills are by far the most important in doing well on standardized verbal tests like the SAT and GRE. Sure, most of the really outlandish words aren't going to appear but I am sure these kids all ace their verbal SATs.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I sucked at spelling bees, I didn't do especially well on my verbal SAT, yet managed to get two communications-related degrees and work as an editor for America's oldest publishing company... go figure.
                              -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Working...
                              X