X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sweatervest is no more

Tressel resigns

Comment

I grew up in Columbus and OSU has had a very successful football program during my lifetime.

Woody Hayes - lost his job for punching a opposing player
      Earl Bruce - fired before the last game of the season - but still coached the Michigan game - eventually loast another college coaching job for verbally and physically abusing players
      John Cooper - fired - "It did not hinge on winning or losing the Outback Bowl, although I would say that yesterday was sort of a capstone on what we have seen as a deteriorating climate within the football program," Geiger said. "Concern about discipline, competitiveness, academic pursuits, a whole series of things.
      Jim Tressel - well we know

Fine group of leaders there - Go Bucks

Comment

SI releases the story on not just any corrupt college FB program - THE corrupt college FB program:

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          SI releases the story on not just any corrupt college FB program - THE corrupt college FB program:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a5
          I think it's off to consider it THE corrupt program. This is not a statement in support of tOSU or Tressel but I firmly believe stuff like this is going on at every major program and they are simply the ones that got caught. There is as deep and wide a pattern at USC, Kentucky has had its share on the basketball side and there are dozens of others that have skated with just one or two published violations but there's no way those were the only ones. Maybe it's cynical to believe it's all corrupt but I don't see how it could be any other way.

Comment

I don't disagree that similar things may be occurring on many other campuses. However, the biggest problem in my opinion is the action of Tressel and lack of integrity. Finds out in April 2010 that this is going on, ignores it for some time, corresponds with Pryor's mentor about it, then denies knowing about it in December so his players can play in the BCS. Then has the stones to publish a book about integrity/honesty this spring. All while knowing that he has lied on NCAA reports and violated his employment contract. Where else but college sports would the average person not be fired???? In addition, reports of similar activity at THE OSU for several years, his signature alledgely appearing on some of the memorabilia being traded and his alledged rigging of raffle activity in summer camps in the past. I don't think you will see the vest in college football again.

As for Pryor, the only thing he gets credit for is driving nice vehicles even if he doesn't have a valid drivers license!! I'm betting his college career is over too.

Comment

Yeah, my "THE" was a play on the obnoxious entitlement of their fans, who rode to a national championship with Clarett (and a friendly end zone ref), whose next day in a college classroom will be his first, basically.

Are they only as corrupt as the other schools? Maybe. But as braveshots notes, this is like a preacher getting caught with a hooker. It's extra insulting....
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

JJ I won't quote your posts but I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to Tressel, it's his facade of integrity that makes it even more egregious and ultimately why I agree with you that he won't be back (though it hasn't stopped plenty of other deposed coaches in college sports from making comebacks before). I think I missed your THE reference though now it makes perfect sense. My reaction was more based on the implication that this is the shining (or I guess stinking) aka worst example of corrupt college athletics in the country. I find that hard to believe based just on what has come out. Take that to mean two things: #1 - I think there is probably far worse going on at programs around the country #2 - tOSU is very likely one of those and this stuff that ended Tressel is just the stuff that came to light. Either way good riddance

Comment

Working...
                X