The Great Moderate political thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Moderate political thread

So what are the policies that moderates support ? What are there values ? Their accomplishments ? Of the recent Presidents were any of them moderates ? What Republcans and Democratic politicians do moderates support ? Inquiring minds want to know

Some specific topics that Id be interested in moderate positions on:
    Medicare for all
    Deficits
    Military Budget
    Tax rates
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-11-2019, 06:55 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So what are the policies that moderates support ? What are there values ? Their accomplishments ? Of the recent Presidents were any of them moderates ? What Republcans and Democratic politicians do moderates support ? Inquiring minds want to know
    A couple more, what do moderates believes are the biggest challenges and issues facing America ? What are the biggest problems moderates hope to fix ?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This is a dangerous thread, but I'm anxiously awaiting 1jay's post stating that Trump is a moderate and my head is going to explode.

I do suspect there is going to be a lot of difference, especially on the right, on what a moderate is candidate looks like. But there may also be significant differences on the left too, so it should be interesting to see how different folks define these terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        This is a dangerous thread
        If there's one thing I like it's a dangerous thread. Anyway, should be an interesting topic.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I will admit, I sort of feel like moderates are the new conservatives -- "Just keep running things the way we were before America went crazy and elected Donald Trump"
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            This is a dangerous thread, but I'm anxiously awaiting 1jay's post stating that Trump is a moderate and my head is going to explode.

I do suspect there is going to be a lot of difference, especially on the right, on what a moderate is candidate looks like. But there may also be significant differences on the left too, so it should be interesting to see how different folks define these terms.
            Ted Cruz is the greatest moderate politician of our time, perhaps history. I'm not saying I like him or would vote for him, just that he is nearly the perfect politician.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Are these moderate or liberal platform ideals?

https://democrats.org/about/party-platform/

some of these you can figure out the basics just by the title - most need further digging

RAISE INCOMES AND RESTORE ECONOMIC SECURITY FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS
              Raising Workers’ Wages
              Protecting Workers’ Fundamental Rights
              Supporting Working Families
              Helping More Workers Share in Near-Record Corporate Profits
              Expanding Access to Affordable Housing and Homeownership
              Protecting and Expanding Social Security
              Ensuring a Secure and Dignified Retirement
              Revitalizing Our Nation’s Postal Service
              CREATE GOOD-PAYING JOBS
              Building 21st Century Infrastructure
              Fostering a Manufacturing Renaissance
              Creating Good-Paying Clean Energy Jobs
              Pursuing Our Innovation Agenda: Science, Research, Education, and Technology
              Supporting America’s Small Businesses
              Creating Jobs for America’s Young People
              FIGHT FOR ECONOMIC FAIRNESS AND AGAINST INEQUALITY
              Reining in Wall Street and Fixing our Financial System
              Promoting Competition by Stopping Corporate Concentration
              Making the Wealthy Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
              Promoting Trade That is Fair and Benefits American Workers
              BRING AMERICANS TOGETHER AND REMOVE BARRIERS TO OPPORTUNITIES
              Ending Systemic Racism
              Closing the Racial Wealth Gap
              Reforming our Criminal Justice System
              Fixing our Broken Immigration System
              Guaranteeing Civil Rights
              Guaranteeing Women’s Rights
              Guaranteeing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights
              Guaranteeing Rights for People with Disabilities
              Respecting Faith and Service
              Investing in Rural America
              Ending Poverty and Investing in Communities Left Behind
              Building Strong Cities and Metro Areas
              Promoting Arts and Culture
              Honoring Indigenous Tribal Nations
              Fighting for the People of Puerto Rico
              Honoring the People of the Territories
              PROTECT VOTING RIGHTS, FIX OUR CAMPAIGN FINANCE SYSTEM, AND RESTORE OUR DEMOCRACY
              Protecting Voting Rights
              Fixing Our Broken Campaign Finance System
              Appointing Judges
              Securing Statehood for Washington, DC
              Strengthening Management of Federal Government
              COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE, BUILD A CLEAN ENERGY ECONOMY, AND SECURE ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
              Building a Clean Energy Economy
              Securing Environmental and Climate Justice
              Protecting Our Public Lands and Waters
              PROVIDE QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE EDUCATION
              Making Debt-Free College a Reality
              Providing Relief from Crushing Student Debt
              Supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority-Serving Institutions
              Cracking Down on Predatory For-Profit Schools
              Guaranteeing Universal Preschool and Good Schools for Every Child
              ENSURE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ALL AMERICANS
              Securing Universal Health Care
              Supporting Community Health Centers
              Reducing Prescription Drug Costs
              Enabling Cutting-Edge Medical Research
              Combating Drug and Alcohol Addiction
              Treating Mental Health
              Supporting Those Living with Autism and their Families
              Securing Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice
              Ensuring Long-Term Care, Services, and Supports
              Protecting and Promoting Public Health
              Ending Violence Against Women
              Preventing Gun Violence
              PRINCIPLED LEADERSHIP
              SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND KEEP FAITH WITH OUR VETERANS
              Defense Spending
              Veterans and Service Members
              Military Families
              A Strong Military
              CONFRONT GLOBAL THREATS
              Terrorism
              Syria
              Afghanistan
              Iran
              North Korea
              Russia
              Cybersecurity and Online Privacy
              Non-Proliferation of Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Weapons
              Global Climate Leadership
              PROTECT OUR VALUES
              Women and Girls
              Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People
              Trafficking and Modern Slavery
              Young People
              Religious Minorities
              Refugees
              Civil Society
              Anti-Corruption
              Torture
              Closing Guantánamo Bay
              Development Assistance
              Global Health
              HIV and AIDS
              International Labor
              A LEADER IN THE WORLD
              Asia-Pacific
              Middle East
              Europe
              Americas
              Africa
              Global Economy and Institutions

Comment

It would also be interesting to see who here self-declares as a moderate.

I used to think of myself as one, but I've come to realize I'm probably not.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  It would also be interesting to see who here self-declares as a moderate.

I used to think of myself as one, but I've come to realize I'm probably not.
                  Much of the polling indicates this is a wide-spread phenomenon. Mainstream media has shifted the Overton window so far to the right that people think they're centrists while actually supporting progressive policies.

This is why polling in Ohio shows 91% of Democratic primary voters would support a candidate pushing for the Green New Deal over one who doesn't, over 80% for Medicare for All. People are further left than they realize.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I view myself as a practical, incremental progressive. I support most of the same goals as progressives, but think the nature of our political system renders it very difficult to get dramatic changes approved into law, and particularly not quickly. Accordingly, I support legislation that moves us slowly but surely in a positive direction, rather than making the perfect (e.g., single payer) the enemy of the good (e.g., the PPACA). Once single payer (e.g., Medicare for All) becomes politically achievable, I'm very happy to go there. So my question in some respects is whether "moderate" is more about the ends or the means? I'm not a moderate with respect to ends, but perhaps I am with respect to means.

Comment

On the Democratic side, there's a piece at 538.com identifying six "wings" of the Democratic Party.

There’s a lot of news right now about conflicts within the Democratic Party, and similar stories will likely continue to pop up for the next two years. Much of …

By those definitions, I'm probably most aligned with "The Progressive New Guard", lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                        Much of the polling indicates this is a wide-spread phenomenon. Mainstream media has shifted the Overton window so far to the right that people think they're centrists while actually supporting progressive policies.

This is why polling in Ohio shows 91% of Democratic primary voters would support a candidate pushing for the Green New Deal over one who doesn't, over 80% for Medicare for All. People are further left than they realize.
                        Good post.

While I disagree with you on a lot of things as well as some of your reactions/responses I am impressed on how much you know about politics.

I enjoyed this one.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          On the Democratic side, there's a piece at 538.com identifying six "wings" of the Democratic Party.

There’s a lot of news right now about conflicts within the Democratic Party, and similar stories will likely continue to pop up for the next two years. Much of …

By those definitions, I'm probably most aligned with "The Progressive New Guard", lol.
                          That fits me too. Hard for any box to neatly fit anyone, but that one is closest for me. And your incremental, practical progressive description fits me too. I'd say I'm firmly to the left of most Americans, but do have a part of my brain that is cautious of the blind enthusiasm of the super progressive movement. I think there is a place for the corrective cautiousness of moderates and conservatives, to ensure we dont go down a road of good intentions towards a taxation hell. But I also believe progressives have pulled us, kicking and screaming sometimes, into our better selves throughout our history. Still, sometimes they want to pull too fast or too far for our own good. I sometimes cringe at the extent to which some now get offended and indignant over the smallest perceived slights. And how willing some are to take issues I believe in to extremes I am not comfortable with.

Comment

I'm much less of an incrementalist than I used to be; I'm much more of an opportunist now. I kind of think of politics now like crossing a busy downtown street - wait for your opening, then when the timing is right and you've got everything lined up, go.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Perhaps it would be useful for me to articulate my perceived reactions from various factions on an issue I consider myself a moderate progressive on--over fishing. It would be illuminating to me if folks who identify with these different categories let me know if I'm being fair with my characterizations. It is also important to note that on this specific issues, those who are very progressive or very conservative may find themselves being more moderate. I know that very conservative people are sometimes more moderate when it comes to sustainability of fishing and wildlife, so perhaps this isn't the best example in terms of identifying those who are very conservative here. Global warming might be a better test case for that end of the spectrum, but the general sentiments would be the same on that and other issues, so insert issue of choice as you see fit.

Very Progressive Response: The science on this is alarming and clear. If we don't address this problem quickly and aggressively, the damage we do to certain species will be irreversible. The greater good is obvious on this issue. We must immediately enact regulations to combat this issue for the long term sustainability of our fishing and the long term health of our ecosystems. Yes, fisherman will suffer in the short term, but if we don't act now, they won't have any fish to catch in 30 years. The people who deny these facts are ignorant.

Moderate Progress Response: The science is concerning and we need to address this issue. We need to enact regulations to curtail over fishing, but there are short term economic factors to consider. I want this issue fixed, but I'm also worried about the economic impact regulations will have on local fisherman that depend on the income they make with the fishing practices currently allowed. The best solution is to focus more on regulations that mostly affect large scale fishing companies that have the greatest negative impact, allowing for small scale businesses and indigenous populations to continue practices that are not ecologically ideal, but are necessary for their livelihood.

Moderate Conservative Response: The science and data on this gives me reason to think something is going on that probably needs to be addressed to some degree. But the hysteria over this issue is probably overblown by the media. I'm in favor of sensible, reasonable solutions as long as they don't have a significant negative economic impact or put America at a clear disadvantage in relation to more permissive countries. We can wait awhile to deal with this.

Very Conservative Response: I'm highly skeptical of the science on this, which is likely being used by the media and/or government, ours or someone elses's, to manipulate me. Those who buy that this is a problem are naive. There are plenty of fish in the sea. This is not something that needs to be addressed, and any reactionary changes we make will do more harm than good.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-12-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X