Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court upholds (2007) Arizona immigration law.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court upholds (2007) Arizona immigration law.

The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal immigrants, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

5-3 decision.

Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I thought based upon the thread title that this was regarding the recently controversial 2010 law requiring law enforcement to check the papers of suspected immigrants. But this decision was regarding an earlier 2007 law about employers.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I thought based upon the thread title that this was regarding the recently controversial 2010 law requiring law enforcement to check the papers of suspected immigrants. But this decision was regarding an earlier 2007 law about employers.
      +1

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I believe that was Jay's intent.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          I believe that was Jay's intent.
          Caught.:mod:

I had the same reaction when I saw the headline.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

SCOTUS us doing oral arguments today.

Anyone knpw more?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Whatever the worst possible outcome is, I'm confident this Supreme Court will find it.
              Bring on the RJ Supreme Court!

Comment

Whatever the worst possible outcome is, I'm confident this Supreme Court will find it.
                I understand what you're saying (don't agree, but I understand where you're coming from), but, man, the present Solicitor General is sure not helping you. SG Verrilli is simply getting ripped by legal experts from liberal to conservative for his poor performance here and during the health care presentation to SCOTUS.

I was just going to say this. Verrilli appears indolent and if the conservatives on the court could openly mock him they would.
                Last edited by JudeBaldo; 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Cliff Notes for everything Jay.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Cliff Notes for everything Jay.
                    Where do you want me to send them?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Where do you want me to send them?

J
                      We can Skype and I'll read em to you, didn't know you were illiterate as well.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        We can Skype and I'll read em to you, didn't know you were illiterate as well.
                        I dont own a cell or DPA. I'll have to have Amazon ship you hard copy.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Activist Judges are ok when they are being active in a way that favors your policies

If healthcare gets overturned I can only imagine the gushing on fox for the judges activism, but I am sure they will use another word they have not yet demonized.

Comment

I'm surprised that this has not been posted already.

Crime to apply or hold job without legal authority -- struck down, 5-3
                            Police can arrest on suspicion of deportable crime -- struck down, 5-3
                            Immigrants must carry identification -- struck down, 6-2
                            Police can check immigration status on arrest or questioning -- upheld, 8-0.

The most controversial part of the law passes unanimously. This seems to be a state's rights decision to a large degree.

Roberts sided with the liberals a couple times. Interesting.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                            X