"A Christmas Miracle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Christmas Miracle"

That's what CNN's Van Jones just called the imminent passage of a criminal justice reform bill tonight in Congress that I don't think would be opposed by anybody in the Sports Bar - though it's not a perfect bill, and diverse opinions of course are welcomed.

Jones credited Trump, Jared Kushner, and Sean Hannity as well as many on the left like Nancy Pelosi and Hakeem Jefferies for finally, finally getting this thing through (uh, oh, I'm assuming).

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ll-under-trump

"Trump — who never recanted his support for executing the now-exonerated Central Park Five — is backing one of the most significant criminal-justice-reform bills in decades, a bipartisan effort called the First Step Act, which is expected to come to a vote in the Senate this week.

“We’re all better off when former inmates can receive and reënter society as law-abiding, productive citizens,” Trump said in remarks endorsing the bill last month. “And, thanks to our booming economy, they now have a chance at more opportunities than they’ve ever had before.”

That the bill has advanced this far under the Trump Administration reflects the purchase criminal-justice reform has gained not only among Democrats but also among conservative Republicans. The bill’s list of supporters includes Ted Cruz and Kirsten Gillibrand, the Koch brothers and the American Civil Liberties Union. The significant buy-in from the right is the culmination of years of effort from a cadre of libertarian-leaning conservatives, like the anti-tax zealot Grover Norquist, and evangelicals, such as Chuck Colson, the founder of the Christian nonprofit organization Prison Fellowship, who have worked to convince others that the prison system has become too costly, punitive, and government-empowering."

"The act’s major reforms include making the 2010 Fair Sentencing Act’s reduction in the disparities between sentences for crack and powdered cocaine retroactive, granting judges more freedom from mandatory-minimum sentences, and expanding the time credits that prisoners can earn and put toward reducing their sentences or qualifying for release into transitional programs. The bill’s supporters estimate that as many as four thousand prisoners could immediately qualify for early release once the bill takes effect."
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Described as "modest reform" in the same article. But good to see bipartisan progress albeit long overdue.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I take any crumb I can find these days

Cory Booker
      ‏Verified account @CoryBooker
      18m18 minutes ago

A BIPARTISAN CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM BILL JUST PASSED THE SENATE!

This was years in the making. Thousands will obtain greater justice and new pathways to liberation as a result of this bill. This is just one step. This is just the beginning. The work must continue. Onward! ✨

(Booker figured out years ago that the "bleeding heart" angle wouldn't work on a lot of right-wingers. so he just made it practical - if a 19-year-old sells a little pot and goes away for 10 years, when he gets out he's a convicted felon with little prospect of livable employment. so guess what he's going to do? rob your house or steal your car! that message seemed to sink in)
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-18-2018, 09:13 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

but how are you going to suppress the votes of minorities if you make it harder to put people in jail?

Comment

Wow, long overdue. Good to see government come together to pass something most agree on and makes sense for all. A cursory skimming suggests this is a good thing.

Comment

i am going to go out on a limb and say this thing will never pass. it makes no sense for the GOP. especially if you give back voting rights. between the so-called profit from private prisons, to appearing weak on crime which even democrats don't want to do. i'll say if it passes anything in it will be just symbolic.

and yet they say Trump has advocating for it since Feb. so someone explain to me how this benefits the GOP politically. because either my leg is getting pissed on and they say it's raining or truly i woke up in an alternate universe.

how does it benefit white people? there's the kicker. ..i might be saying something incredibly stupid here, but they didn't care when crack was killing black people, but suddenly opioids start killing white voters and now drugs are a crisis.

and even if it does passes, i'll attribute it to the GOP appearing not to have passed many bills and they are panicking at the last minute and appear to be losing their minds.

Comment

Reading is fundamental.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

people in denial don't read. i have to wait until i am wrong to spend hours going back to try to understand why i didn't take a few minutes to read and understand something before.

Comment

actually that's not true. if i roll up my sleeves and start reading up now, it will just lead from one thing to another and i'll start noticing tons of false promises hidden deep in the situation. and then i'll be up all night trying to figure it out. and eventually get all pissed off and worked up about politics. ..when the alternative is i can just make a baseless prediction and just sit back and wait for it to corporealize and say to everybody i told you so. heh

which i admit is pretty harsh since it's like i am going up against a miracle. i'm definitely on the wrong side. one shouldn't hope against miracles.

actually i thought this thread was about that girl in Texas who's inoperable brain tumor disappeared for no medical reason.

Comment

This is definitely something to feel good about, even if the reforms are "modest".

Comment

bunch of positives yesterday. bipartisan vote on the criminal justice reform bill with trump signaling he is looking forward to signing it. (thanks kim kardasian.) ban on bump stocks. movement on continuing resolution to keep fed govt open, until the feb deadline. modest moves, not bad for a random tuesday.

Comment

Trump, The Great Uniter!

::
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

wasnt bunch of positives for trump but for govt working at least marginally better than broken. trump himself had a bad day on a couple fronts.

Comment

I'll take some "modest" gun control laws next please
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

The only thing the ban on bump stocks does is infringe on civil liberties and open the door for more regulation. Or at least say a few idiots here in UT.

Utah’s biggest gun advocates say that the ban on bump stocks announced Tuesday by the Trump administration — a little more than a year after a gunman used one to massacre 58 people in Las Vegas — infringes on their civil liberties and will do little to stop any future mass shootings.

Comment

Working...
                              X