Is anyone watching Game 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone watching Game 12?

Fabiano Caruana v Magnus Carlson. If either player wins, he is World Champion.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Ya ha ... Chessnetwork on Twitch.

Comment

Caruana during weird stuff ... Looks like he doesn't want to play blitz with Carlsen. Probably should have tried something like this earlier in the series.

Comment

St Louis Chess Club has a youtube channel. Vlad Kramnik is on right now. Kasparov earlier.

Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Caruana during weird stuff ... Looks like he doesn't want to play blitz with Carlsen. Probably should have tried something like this earlier in the series.
          Nobody, even someone as good as Caruana, wants to play blitz with The Magnus.

Edit to add: And Magnus just offered a draw in a position in which, IMO, he had a slight advantage. Stunning. Of course, if I were the machine he was at blitz, I might have considered a draw there as well.

Second edit to add: Hope Cavebird comes on and comments. Even at my best competitive point, he was far better than I am and I've been away from competition for a loooong time.
          Last edited by chancellor; 11-26-2018, 01:17 PM.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Nobody, even someone as good as Caruana, wants to play blitz with The Magnus.

Edit to add: And Magnus just offered a draw in a position in which, IMO, he had a slight advantage. Stunning. Of course, if I were the machine he was at blitz, I might have considered a draw there as well.

Second edit to add: Hope Cavebird comes on and comments. Even at my best competitive point, he was far better than I am and I've been away from competition for a loooong time.
            I'm still conflicted about what Caruana was trying to do during this series. On the one hand he was playing to his strengths ... he's machine like with his positional play, and almost never makes errors. Maybe he was hoping that Magnus would overextend into him at some point and then take advantage. You know, maybe that was the best strategy for Caruana. But it also seems like Carlsen understood that and never overextended himself. That was exactly what was suggested with Carlsen's G12 draw offer ... he claimed he would have to take risks to force the win (which gives Caruana a chance). He didn't want to give Caruana a chance, so he took the tie-break, where he knows he has a clear advantage.

Enthralling series.

Comment

The position gets really interesting and then they agree to a draw. Sad. It's more or less what happened against Karjakin.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                The position gets really interesting and then they agree to a draw. Sad. It's more or less what happened against Karjakin.

J
                You can see why they did it though. Carlsen now has an edge, and Caruana was on the back foot in G12.

Maybe Caruana has some tricks up his sleeve for the Rapid games? His prep is top class.

Comment

I don't know anything about chess, but in the Tiger vs Phil pay-per-view golf Friday, Phil did not concede Tiger's short putt on the second hole - which he missed in a round where they tied on almost every hole.

late in the round, Tiger gave Phil a similar putt in a tight match.

on one of the first extra holes, Phil made a putt and then conceded a similar one to Tiger, saying, "I don't want to win that way."

fyi, Phil won on the 4th extra hole. 9 million bucks
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I'm still conflicted about what Caruana was trying to do during this series. On the one hand he was playing to his strengths ... he's machine like with his positional play, and almost never makes errors. Maybe he was hoping that Magnus would overextend into him at some point and then take advantage. You know, maybe that was the best strategy for Caruana. But it also seems like Carlsen understood that and never overextended himself. That was exactly what was suggested with Carlsen's G12 draw offer ... he claimed he would have to take risks to force the win (which gives Caruana a chance). He didn't want to give Caruana a chance, so he took the tie-break, where he knows he has a clear advantage.

Enthralling series.
                    I hear you, though a player of Magnus’ caliber should have been able to leverage a minimum of a draw with upside for a win. He’d have to have erred pretty badly for Caruana to have any hope for the point.

Do you still play competitively?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      I hear you, though a player of Magnus’ caliber should have been able to leverage a minimum of a draw with upside for a win. He’d have to have erred pretty badly for Caruana to have any hope for the point.

Do you still play competitively?
                      Haven't played in years. Was keen when I was younger, but never followed up ... didn't really have anyone to play, then drifted away. Got bored playing computers / programs. By the time the Internet came along, I was already into too many other things.

Fondly remember the Kasparov - Short World Championship in the 90's ... it was live on TV ... so tense. Shame it never kicked off. With the rise of Twitch, it shows there is a massive audience for watching things like this. The Chess authorities have really dropped the ball in promoting the sport over the years. Even this event ... putting the live coverage behind a paywall??????? WhoTF is in charge?

Comment

none of the multiple gaming companies now licensed to offer sports betting in New Jersey applied to get this chess approved, which is a little surprising. granted, there is an offshore market for everything, but seems like NYC-area chess audience might be upscale enough to prefer a risk-free legal option.

NJ regulators - known worldwide as the strictest of gatekeepers for decades - have approved European darts, but not lower-level soccer and tennis which are rife with match fixing and accusations thereof. that Woods-Mickelson match also got approval, btw
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The organisation of this event is disgusting. I have been intently following this all the way, and I have no clue when the tie-breakers will start, or how long it will take.

Comment

150k viewers across Twitch, and the authorities can't provide a free live feed of 2 blokes sitting across a table.

Platforms like Twitch are a gateway for a game like chess to boom ... what a wasted opportunity for the game.

Comment

The organisation of this event is disgusting. I have been intently following this all the way, and I have no clue when the tie-breakers will start, or how long it will take.
                              The "Who's in charge" is the main problem. Chess splintered into two managing organizations shortly after my playing career ended, and it's appeared to be pretty chaotic since. And, yes, they're missing a great opportunity.

Edit to add: And you're dead on about Twitch TV. I'm sure that format could find expert commentators, and their costs are very low. Their Pokemon coverage is very impressive.
                              Last edited by chancellor; 11-28-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X