Richard Ojeda for President in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Ojeda for President in 2020

He just announced his candidacy. I'm not sure if I'd support him over other Progressive candidates, as he has a mixed record on the environment. I just have a feeling he could cause a stir. He moved his district 36 pts left in West Virginia, and only lost by 12, after Trump campaigned for his opponent twice to seal it up. Very interesting. Establishment media will laugh him off, and he will punish them for it, just like Trump did.

I'm skeptical of his chances to win, but anticipate a high likelihood he beats some Democratic pretenders senseless along the way. I could see him gaining a prominent role in a new administration if Bernie or Warren take the nomination.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I am going to guess that a pro-life, pro-gun rights former Trump voting Democrat that thinks that he’s ‘never voted for a Democrat for President’ isn’t going to go very far in the Democratic primaries. I mean, I understand why I like him.....I am not sure why you like him.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
      I am going to guess that a pro-life, pro-gun rights former Trump voting Democrat that thinks that he’s ‘never voted for a Democrat for President’ isn’t going to go very far in the Democratic primaries. I mean, I understand why I like him.....I am not sure why you like him.
      I like him because he's anti-corruption and he's anti-establishment.

If Democrats consistently want to appease the "middle", Ojeda fits the bill. He certainly has a ton more crossover appeal than any other Dems running, so his electability on that issue is at the top of the ticket... his populist messaging will crush. He's already talking about yearly income caps of $250K per year for senators. It's a brilliant trap. That style of messaging will break through.

Also, he will definitely be the most pissed off candidate on the stage, and that will be another advantage in his favour for a select group of Democratic voters. So he's got some built in advantages. I believe his right leaning policies are mostly driven by concern for middle class workers, and could be malleable. I hadn't heard he was pro life, which might sink him in the current era.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v_QcfyWV97I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      Last edited by Teenwolf; 11-14-2018, 08:47 AM.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v_QcfyWV97I?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure why I can't get videos to appear right now.
        Last edited by Teenwolf; 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I think his voice/perspective are or should be welcome in the Democrats' discussions and debates for 2020. I'd like to see a broad field of candidates have a thorough and productive discussion/debate before primary voters ultimately narrow the field. I hope all of those voices will ultimately coalesce behind the nominee and, in exchange, have a voice/seat at the table as the party platform is discussed and adjusted.

Comment

I'll highlight some points from the video I can't link to... He's a war hero, having served as the chief engineering officer overseeing 7000 engineers in Iraq, but he's willing to fight against the corrupt proliferation of the military industrial complex, and he instead focuses on the majority of lower-ranking military members earning low enough wages to qualify for government assistance. These messages on the military, from a guy with 16 medals of valor and the names of his fallen comrades tattooed on his back... you better believe that message is going to crush. Trump didn't win because he was the best candidate, he won because he had the most outrageous and compelling soundbites. Ojeda is that for the Dem ticket. Again, I don't necessarily support him, I just like his addition to the primary as a bomb-thrower.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              I think his voice/perspective are or should be welcome in the Democrats' discussions and debates for 2020. I'd like to see a broad field of candidates have a thorough and productive discussion/debate before primary voters ultimately narrow the field. I hope all of those voices will ultimately coalesce behind the nominee and, in exchange, have a voice/seat at the table as the party platform is discussed and adjusted.
              Me too. The last election had a very narrow field of viable candidates, and no rigorous debate and idea-testing outside of HRC and Bernie. I hope we get a better showing this time, so everyone is tested by the fires of real debate, but ultimately, there is not such divisiveness once a candidate is chosen.

Comment

Some very interesting messages. He was asked about being "pro life"... his answer was great. Says he wants to see a reduction in abortion, but supports women's right to choose. Said he would quadruple Planned Parenthood funding. Asked how he plans to respond to "How could Democrats vote for someone who voted for Trump in 2016?", and he attacks the "Goldmann Sachs Democrats", "lesser of 2 evils", and political corruption. I thought he did great.

The only answer I wasn't super happy with was his response on guns. Supports all the policies that are over 90% public support (background checks, gun show loophole closure, bump stock ban, wasn't asked, but likely supports the terror watch list firearm ban, etc.). This answer was a bit troubling... could get memed into oblivion. After stating his support for sensible gun control measures, he's asked "how about AR-15's?"... "AR-15's, when it comes to something like that, I'll be honest with you, I want one. But I'll tell you what, we have an issue with mental health in this country, and we need to end the stigma surrounding mental health. But if a person doesn't have any mental health issues in their background, they're not a criminal, y'know, then I don't have a problem with them being able to purchase a firearm like that."

So... that's a load of horsecrap. Every country around the world suffers from mental health. Gun access in the US exacerbates the problem. The gun answer is probably more conservative than most Dems would like to see, but I think if he attacks the NRA as part of his anti-corruption stance, and fights for those common sense measures, it might be enough for Dem voters to overlook. He might also have enough Republican traits to sway a lot of reasonable Republicans, if some miracle occurred and he won the Dem nomination.

The economic populism messages are really interesting. Talking about limits to how wealthy politicians can be (he set an arbitrary $1Mil mark)... obviously many of his ideas are pipe dreams, but they convey what he's after. "Body cams on lobbyists" makes me laugh... but I think it conveys his overall message quite well. Same with many other policy planks.

Hey, Baldgriff, you're welcome to chime in with thoughts on Ojeda's gun policy points!

Comment

Working...
                X