1100, 11/11/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100, 11/11/18

On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month...

In less than two weeks, we will observe the centennial of the signing of the Armistice that ended the Great War, more recently called World War I. This is a larger event in France and England than in USA, but even here it is the official day to honor living veterans of foreign wars. Are you doing anything in particular to commemorate the event?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

There are no surviving members of WWI.

While I am glad we won the war, I have no real emotional attachment to it.

I think I will have some french fries.

Comment

I plan on hanging around in a disgusting, wet trench, eating bully beef and contracting malaria.

Comment

I couple of years ago I attended the main Remembrance Day event up here (there are many; being a commonwealth country we had participated early in WWI ... it's still kind of a big deal). It was a pretty somber event. Not sure if we'll go this year.

Looking at the numbers of combat deaths tho it's pretty surreal ... Deaths by Country: Germany 1.8 Million, Russia 1.7 Million, France 1.15 Million, Austria-Hungary 1.0 Million, UK 744K, and on and on ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          There are no surviving members of WWI.

While I am glad we won the war, I have no real emotional attachment to it.

I think I will have some french fries.
          Go all out:

“There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            I couple of years ago I attended the main Remembrance Day event up here (there are many; being a commonwealth country we had participated early in WWI ... it's still kind of a big deal). It was a pretty somber event. Not sure if we'll go this year.

Looking at the numbers of combat deaths tho it's pretty surreal ... Deaths by Country: Germany 1.8 Million, Russia 1.7 Million, France 1.15 Million, Austria-Hungary 1.0 Million, UK 744K, and on and on ...
            Thanks for posting those. Sometimes I forget just how brutal WW1 was.

Comment

My kids are probably a bit too antsy for me to take them to a somber public ceremony, but I'll try to talk to them about it. It's a Sunday this year. My NYC government office is closed on Monday in observance, but my kids' school district and my wife's school district are both open, so I'll have a day to myself to relax, which is great.

Comment

Names like Somme, Verdun, and Ypres are spoken in hushed terms. In third Ypres, often known as Passchendaele, almost three-quarters of a million in about four months. Some of the one-day totals are obscene. The first day of the Somme offensive, the allies had over 60,000 dead and wounded. That's more than all US losses in Vietnam.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                  Thanks for posting those. Sometimes I forget just how brutal WW1 was.
                  A couple of years ago I read The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914 ; it's an interesting read on the events that led up to the war. One of the main takeaways for me was that nobody - even in the leadership chambers in each country - believed that an all-out war was possible (there had been a number of "skirmishes" in the preceding decades, all of which got resolved without going full-scale) ... everyone thought someone would back down, that people would come to their senses ... but nobody did ...
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

We are starting to see articles on the centennial.

It was a hopeful time, but very different from 1945. There was a clear loser but no clear winner. Much has been made of the Treaty of Versailles, but the real problem is that no one could enforce it.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Painful to read as we approach Veterans' Day that the shooter in last night's California bar massacre appears to have been a war veteran with PTSD. We need to take better care of our veterans, and that includes mental health screening and treatment and additional supports.

Comment

Having been in a conflict zone, I can say that there is extensive material and assistance available--if you want to take it. The problems lie with those that avoid such contact.

Suitable to the day.
                        In Flanders fields the poppies blow
                        Between the crosses, row on row,
                        That mark our place; and in the sky
                        The larks, still bravely singing, fly
                        Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
                        We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
                        Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
                        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
                        To you from failing hands we throw
                        The torch; be yours to hold it high.
                        If ye break faith with us who die
                        We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                        In Flanders fields.
                        John McCrae
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                        X