Would you support compulsory voting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you support compulsory voting?

I was just in a meeting with an Australian, who told me about their compulsory voting laws, backed up with small ($10) and then moderate ($50) fines and potential loss of driver's license for chronic non voters. Several other democracies apparently require eligible voters to vote, and experts suggest that it "works" with respect to driving more moderate candidates/results and with respect to governments that are more broadly representative of the population being served across all socio-economic strata.

US voter-turnout rates have been low for decades. Some political scientists believe compulsory voting — making it illegal not to vote — could be one solution.

What do you all think?

NO - voting is a right and choice of each individual.

Again, in my mind once the government compels you to do something - you no longer have the right.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

That would be a boon for the Dems. GOP would never go for it.

Comment

I would support it if employers were mandated to provide time off or if elections were declared holidays.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In the U.S., we're not too big on "compulsory" anything. the word itself is creepy.

making the voting process easier, that's a different story.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            In the U.S., we're not too big on "compulsory" anything. the word itself is creepy.

This! Of course how we fix the voting process is always a matter of discussion. We have to stop allowing Gerrymandering.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              That would be a boon for the Dems. GOP would never go for it.
              On some issues, maybe. But it would presumably wrest control of the Democratic Party's agenda away from overeducated, holier-than-thou elitist SJW's like me, right?

Comment

Actually - in some instances you could see people wasting their vote by just walking in and doing random selection of candidates - or the first name on the ballot - or other non-educated methods of casting a required/mandatory vote.

I dont want people voting that dont want to take their vote seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Is compulsory elementary and secondary education "creepy"? How about compulsory registration with Selective Service? Compulsory tax payments?

Rather than just reacting to "compulsory", what do you view as the cost-benefit analysis specific to the question of compulsory voting?

Comment

Currently lazy people just dont vote. IF you force them to vote you will get what I mentioned above lazy votes. People walking in and checking anything just to not be fined the "no voting" charge.

The only benefit I imagine it having is an absolute list of who can and cant vote.

Comment

what problem would be addressed through compulsory voting?

I kinda think the opposite - we should limit voting to those who could pass a basic test ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        Currently lazy people just dont vote. IF you force them to vote you will get what I mentioned above lazy votes. People walking in and checking anything just to not be fined the "no voting" charge.

The only benefit I imagine it having is an absolute list of who can and cant vote.
                        I think it's not that hard to create non-partisan voter guides that quickly run down candidates' stated positions across key issues. Ultimately, I think your fear of people walking in and randomly checking off names to avoid the fine is probably exaggerated, but there probably is a risk that low information compulsory voters would be even more inclined than higher information voluntary voters to cast default votes based on "team"/assumed demographic affinity.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          what problem would be addressed through compulsory voting?

I kinda think the opposite - we should limit voting to those who could pass a basic test ...
                          Are you aware of the history in the US of such tests? They have almost always been used as a tool to disenfranchise the poor/people of color.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            Are you aware of the history in the US of such tests? They have almost always been used as a tool to disenfranchise the poor/people of color.
                            yes; I should have used a smiley there, I wasn't serious
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              I think it's not that hard to create non-partisan voter guides that quickly run down candidates' stated positions across key issues. Ultimately, I think your fear of people walking in and randomly checking off names to avoid the fine is probably exaggerated, but there probably is a risk that low information compulsory voters would be even more inclined than higher information voluntary voters to cast default votes based on "team"/assumed demographic affinity.
                              So we're going to fine people for not voting? Are we offering rides to the polling booth?

Where is the literature you're suggesting got to be handed out or placed?

A don't think mandating people to vote is the answer. Educating people why their vote matters is a better strategy.
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                              X