Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives - obviously not in school

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    This does not surprise me, as I'd hope most would see the absurdity of suspending 6 year olds for making a gun shape out of pizza, but I know we do disagree on what the serious and practical solutions to these issues would be .
    I would be curious to hear your thoughts. Im not certain that we have a serious issue of knives in schools.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Depending on the district, hell yes there could be a serious problem with knives in schools. In many parts of the country, there are serious gang violence issues that spill into the schools, and school buildings/school yards can be the place where a targeted victim can most readily be found and confronted.

Comment

hey, sometimes you gotta cut a bitch on the mean streets of Montclaire
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

surely the response to this would be very different in small town Iowa compared to say, Compton or [insert inner-city anywhere]
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I carried Boy Scout knife to school for years. No one ever said a word about it. Different times.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

One of my most vivid memory from middle school was a fight between two boys from rival gangs. One of them came to school with what appeared to be a sprained wrist. It was wrapped in the brown wrap you use when you sprain your ankle. I don't know if the injury was real or a ruse, but this kid had wrapped a razor blade hidden right at the knuckles. The other kid came up to him and after some jawing, swung. Razor blade kid grabbed him and put him in a head lock and started slashing his fist across his face. No one knew why he was fighting like that until we started to see blood everywhere. Luckily for the kid, his eyes were missed, and the police officer on campus broke up the fight. The kid's face looked like a horror movie, but none of the cuts were deep, so I don't think there was any permanent scarring. Of course, given their life styles, who knows if either is still alive today? This was back in 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              hey, sometimes you gotta cut a bitch on the mean streets of Montclaire
              There's no Frenchy "e" at the end of Montclair, lol. And actually, Montclair High School and the Montclair Police Department absolutely have had to deal with gang violence and the drug trade spilling over from East Orange, Newark and Irvington. And that's not new. It's been a problem/risk since I attended the school myself back in the late 1980's, if not earlier.

Comment

Working...
              X