Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nullnor+DMT+Fresno Bob = ????

A: Giving MDMA to Octopuses

When humans take the drug MDMA, versions of which are known as molly or ecstasy, they commonly feel very happy, extraverted, and particularly interested in physical touch. A group of scientists recently wondered whether this drug might have a similar effect on other species—specifically, octopuses, which are seemingly…
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    Hah, I sent that to my friends this morning.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Loved this story. The description of the tripping balls octopuses are fantastic.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

i am trying to lay low because i hope Bob Kohm will come back. i always enjoyed reading his posts. same thing with Steve too.

the cortex is where they say self awareness arises. birds and octopus don't have it. yet they are clearly self aware.

the most complex thing in the universe, it's the brain. obviously when you can take one human brain and realize it has more switches than all the digital equipment on earth put together.. when one human brain is more complex than every non-biological thing put together on a planet.

i'll tell you that artificial intelligence has it's work cut out for it. computers will never be able to be self-aware or conscious. it's because the universe is an organism. it's alive. it's self-contained. it's biological. it's consciousness is distributed among us and every other living biological thing. not to mention the quantum biological effects that are i play.

in order for a machine to be self-ware, it would have to be a cyborg.

from a siency stand point you have start with the question of why? if you were some supreme being, why would you turn yourself into a universe and distribute yourself. by what need? if you can figure that one out than everything would fall into place.

and also, i just don't understand why we search for other life in the universe. i am not sure what answer we are looking for by doing so. and that actually really perplexes me. is there something i am missing?

octopus is the same thing we are. we are made of the same size cells. we originate from the same thing. it's looking for the same answer we are. it just diverged from an older common ancestor.

Comment

Cephalopods are awesome. A completely different evolutionary track from humans, with a very different brain and nervous system that yields a high degree of animal intelligence. They are so cool, and make me think if the different ways intelligent life could develop on other planets.

Comment

The article does make me wish I'd tried ex at least once before having kids.

Comment

i am a believer that it's possible to figure out all the big questions in life with logic. but i would be a fool to not admit that ironically personal experience and also religion amazingly has the same logical answers just in slightly different form.

for me, the main problem saying the universe is a blue-eyed giant named macumber that is exploring itself for whatever reason..would be that it's still just exploring itself. and that's not logical. because supreme being wouldn't need to turn itself into a universe in order to explore itself.

it's very hard to be a mortal and think like a supreme being. for example, what hope would i have being able to figure out something that it couldn't, which caused it to create me and a universe, and distribute itself to be able to figure it out.

so instead i'll be dunk and indulge myself with alcohol and drugs and enjoy my environment and Ozzy Osbourne

Comment

if you've ever read the piers anthony book series where mortals take on the role of gods like, on a pale horse or time or fate, and war and the devil and eternity in the first book where death went to pickup a soul, and his first one didn't believe in anything. when he went to pickup his soul it disintegrated because it didn't believe in anything.

of course it would be nice or at least an option if we had that choice. but we really don't. there's no way out of the predicament of existence. you'll just be reborn given enough time. given enough space and time, quantum laws will repeat themselves. given enough time you'll be doomed to repeat everything again. this is one of the consequences of having space and time being inseparable. but it can also be seen as a good thing. that's the thing about time, space never ends so neither does time.

time travel is tricky. the past exists but just in different form. the energy and molecules that constitute yourself were in the past something else. so you can't say the past doesn't still exist in physical form. just a different one. in this sense in order to travel into the past, you can simply change the Present back into it. so you have 2 options. either you can find a way to rotate space backwards and find a dimension that rolled up but contains the matter of the past still in past form, or you can manipulate the Present-matter back into the past. i think both scenarios are possible.

Comment

so i've been sitting her tossing beers back living inside my head for the last 8 hours and ..i went to the doctor earlier for the first time in 3 years. i was thinking about that. i told him i was a hoarder and my neighbor trying to sell his house called the building inspector on me. i've let my yard grow berserk and haven't chainsawed the tree that fell on my deck a few years go.

i just don't care. i told him that if society looked at me closer, they would enter my house in bunny suits. i would be on the front page of the paper. they would interview people in the neighborhood and they would say things like, 'he always had the drapes on the windows drawn'.

i joked with him that i have tinnitus not because i landscaped without using hearing protection for years, but because my roof leaks (i have to fucking fix that) and i have mold. but mostly because i have mice. like i am in the middle of a war between cats and mice. i wouldn't do this in the south or west with the Hantavirus.

i explained that if cats have toxoplasmosis, which makes mice take risks and be active, logically mice would develop the opposite in an arms race. make them lazy. i joking said i am patent zero. i have a zoonosis, standing in the line of fire. and that's why my ears ring and i sweat when i sleep and urinate a lot.

it how microbes operate. they are like, hmm humans live longer, if i can infect them too i'll have more time. it's how evolution and arms races work in nature. yet good luck to mice trying to hook up with a bacteria that can infect cats that would make them take less risks and be less active that can also jump to humans.

for example look at the war between bats and moths. they are involved in a hearing war. which one of them can hear higher frequencies wins. each year one of them an hear better. like 300 khz.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/which-animal...unds-498758562
                  As anyone with a dog whistle knows, the range of human hearing is hardly anything to get excited about. But when it comes to picking up extremely high frequencies, thereÂ’s one particular creature that even dogs canÂ’t compete with.

The animal is the greater wax moth, Galleria mellonella. And get this — it can hear frequencies as high as 300 kHz!

For contrast, humans max out at 20 kHz, and dogs at 40 kHz. The harbour porpoise can hear frequencies up to 110 kHz, while bottlenose dolphins can pick up sounds as high as 150 kHz (which they use for echolocation). Even other moths, like some located in North America, can “only” hear up to 150 kHz.

Oh, and there is another animal to consider: The bat. Their echolocation calls can reach upwards of 212 kHz.

And indeed, it’s because of bats that the greater wax moth can hear so well. These two species are currently engaged in an auditory arms race — and the moth is winning. These moths can tell when they’ve been hit by an echolocation pulse, and they make evasive maneuvers when it happens. This has resulted in increasingly stronger hearing over time; it’s classic Darwinianism at work.
                  it's much harder for mice to infect humans than cats. for one thing, we don't interact with mice feces as much as we do with cats. but since toxoplasmosis infects half of the world population, and there's a lot of mice in the world, eventually they will find a counter alternative to it. thus i am predicting a future world-wide zoonosis. ..i didn't say most of that to him.

what i need is animals to come by and say hi to me. there are 2 cats in the neighborhood that check in on me. the doctor warned me jokingly that he didn't want to section 8 me. but honestly i kind of don't care. i am usually a pretty happy guy.

except for you guys i've just been around stupid people my whole life. i think it's finally bringing me down. i need to find people like myself that i can relate to. lol

Comment

i am probably overworking my kidneys, but if you want to be a patent zero and someday infect everyone in the world that will make them take less risks and be lazy and more reflective, in order to make an omelet you gotta break some eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                      so i've been sitting her tossing beers back living inside my head for the last 8 hours and ..i went to the doctor earlier for the first time in 3 years. i was thinking about that. i told him i was a hoarder and my neighbor trying to sell his house called the building inspector on me. i've let my yard grow berserk and haven't chainsawed the tree that fell on my deck a few years go.

i just don't care. i told him that if society looked at me closer, they would enter my house in bunny suits. i would be on the front page of the paper. they would interview people in the neighborhood and they would say things like, 'he always had the drapes on the windows drawn'.

i joked with him that i have tinnitus not because i landscaped without using hearing protection for years, but because my roof leaks (i have to fucking fix that) and i have mold. but mostly because i have mice. like i am in the middle of a war between cats and mice. i wouldn't do this in the south or west with the Hantavirus.

i explained that if cats have toxoplasmosis, which makes mice take risks and be active, logically mice would develop the opposite in an arms race. make them lazy. i joking said i am patent zero. i have a zoonosis, standing in the line of fire. and that's why my ears ring and i sweat when i sleep and urinate a lot.

it how microbes operate. they are like, hmm humans live longer, if i can infect them too i'll have more time. it's how evolution and arms races work in nature. yet good luck to mice trying to hook up with a bacteria that can infect cats that would make them take less risks and be less active that can also jump to humans.

for example look at the war between bats and moths. they are involved in a hearing war. which one of them can hear higher frequencies wins. each year one of them an hear better. like 300 khz.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/which-animal...unds-498758562 it's much harder for mice to infect humans than cats. for one thing, we don't interact with mice feces as much as we do with cats. but since toxoplasmosis infects half of the world population, and there's a lot of mice in the world, eventually they will find a counter alternative to it. thus i am predicting a future world-wide zoonosis. ..i didn't say most of that to him.

what i need is animals to come by and say hi to me. there are 2 cats in the neighborhood that check in on me. the doctor warned me jokingly that he didn't want to section 8 me. but honestly i kind of don't care. i am usually a pretty happy guy.

except for you guys i've just been around stupid people my whole life. i think it's finally bringing me down. i need to find people like myself that i can relate to. lol
                      You dont always drink beer, but when u do it's Dos Equis
                      --------------------------------------
                      You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
                        You dont always drink beer, but when u do it's Dos Equis
                        I think he was around one of those unlocked Bud Light coolers.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Amazing stuff nully!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post

https://io9.gizmodo.com/which-animal...unds-498758562 it's much harder for mice to infect humans than cats. for one thing, we don't interact with mice feces as much as we do with cats. but since toxoplasmosis infects half of the world population, and there's a lot of mice in the world, eventually they will find a counter alternative to it. thus i am predicting a future world-wide zoonosis. ..i didn't say most of that to him.

I'd love to see the doctors notes from this visit
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

i suppose i can't stress enough the privileged situation that our technologically advanced civilization currently finds itself in. the universe is expanding. someday future technological civilizations will never be able to see that the universe had a beginning. space will expand so fast and far that all the juicy things we are able to see right now will not be visible to them. the only way they will ever know is by making some sort of contact. or somehow passing the information along.

this tells me that although it's informative, it wouldn't be so if it was important to some meaning of life. it's ironic, while everything is connected in some way, more so than others, and even literally, the universe would behave in this expanding way. all the best secrets of the universe stay hidden. like the quantum measurement problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X