Letters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters...

When is the last time you either wrote or received a letter?

Christmas cards, Birthday cards or business letters do not count. Just an old fashioned letter with a stamp on the envelope.

I have not gotten one in over 40 years and have not written one in 42 or 43 years.

How about you?

I wrote my wife and kids letters when I was working away from home back in 2012 and 2013. It was cathartic.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I handwrite cards to my team of 45 every holiday season

Comment

I last wrote letters to and received letters from an old girlfriend nearly 30 years ago. This was a few years before everyone had cell phones. And a good decade plus before everyone had a personal computer. I still write out Christmas and birthday cards.

Here's a 2016 article about cursive writing making a comeback:
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.54166a7676d4

“I think it’s really discouraging to get a note from a college graduate that is printed like a second-grader,” said Beth Mizell, the Louisiana state senator who introduced the cursive writing bill in her state.
        The Republican lawmaker said she acted when she heard from a surveyor who told her he couldn’t find young people who could read the notes on old land documents. A grandmother, Mizell said she was shocked to find out that students were no longer learning cursive in school."
        Last edited by madducks; 09-16-2018, 10:22 AM.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I wrote a letter throughout the pages of a Shannon Doherty biographical comic last summer. It was a really strange read, and wanted to send it to a friend who would appreciate it, so I decided to write my letter to him in all the margins. I would say it's been at least 5 years since I've regularly written letters to girls I liked or friends. My wife keeps in semi regular letter writing contact with several friends, and they're always so nice and heartfelt to receive, even more so as time goes by.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I wrote a letter to my daughter every three days or so for the four weeks she was at sleepaway camp this summer. I decided to type them rather than write them by hand, like my parents did back when I went to sleepaway camp, because I'm so used to typing/word processing and I could paste in pictures and things, but I wrote them and addressed them and put the old-fashioned stamp on envelope. We even got about five letters back from her over the course of those four weeks.

Comment

Every once in a while I hand write a thank you letter to someone in my capacity as Library Director.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
              X