The name calling thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name calling thread.

When we are small we are taught not to name call. Somewhere along the journey many start to break that rule. Some do it in jest with their buddies. Some do it in anger.

At some point/age do we go back to stopping the name calling?

What are your guidelines for name calling?

What kind of butt-head question is that?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      What kind of question is that, Butt-head?
      Fixed.

Comment

Knock knock
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

You're a neo-maxi zoom dweebie.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

How about getting back to sticks and stones..........
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

When is the last time any of you called someone a name?

Mine was a couple of months ago. My boss asked me why I thought a Regional Manager was fired. I said because he is a dick. This is out of character for me and stopped my boss in his tracks. After a few seconds of silence he said well that is one way of putting it.

Comment

my best friend and I call each other names all of the time....
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

My 13 year old daughter and I call each other "faggot" as a form of endearment! And the word just sounds funny (at least to me)
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Gregg asked "What are your guidelines for name calling?" I draw a strong distinction between "curse words" on the one hand and "slurs" on the other. I also try to be sensitive to context, both personal and historical. I'm not personally comfortable with straight people calling each other "faggot", given the slur and historical context of that word, even though Mith and his daughter use it within a presumably benign personal context. I'm also not personally comfortable with the "n-word" in any context, but recognize that it's certainly not my place to police its use among Blacks. I also don't like name calling when wielded in anger, abuse or mean-spirited ridicule/teasing, but am certainly open to its use in good-natured teasing within the context of trusting, supportive relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      My 13 year old daughter and I call each other "faggot" as a form of endearment! And the word just sounds funny (at least to me)
                      I would caution against this. Raising her comfort level of slur word usage could earn you a future phone call or letter from her school.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        I would caution against this. Raising her comfort level of slur word usage could earn you a future phone call or letter from her school.
                        She knows if she ever uses inappropriate language that she pays the consequences. Damn PC world!
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

She knows if she ever uses inappropriate language that she pays the consequences. Damn PC world!
                          Even more so if it is on social media. That stuff can come back to haunt you many years later and damage a person's career.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Gar, social progress sucks, garr.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Gar, social progress sucks, garr.
                              I was kidding about PC world

Comment

Working...
                              X