So last night two men...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So last night two men...

My 26 year old daughter stopped for gas last night. Two men pulled up to the pump next to her. One was driving and one was in the back seat. They proceeded to make lewd sexual remarks to her. She felt threatened and afraid.

I have not talked with my daughter about it. My wife told me about it when I got home late last night. To my knowledge she did not respond or get the license number.

As a father this is terrifying. It saddens and angers me.

As a father (and as a person) it saddens and angers me as well.

So can we talk openly and thoughtfully about toxic masculinity and what we as a society can and should do about it, or are folks just going to get triggered by the term/concept?

Comment

This is what my daughter posted on social media last night:

To the 2 men at the gas station that pulled up next to me while I was putting gas in my car and said something very sexual and foul to me: I pray that someday when you have daughters they will never be objectified to that type of language. I pray that by that time we will live in a society where women will feel safe at night doing something as simple as putting gas in their car and not feel threatened or scared. I pray that by that time you will have learned to be protectors for women and not mindless perverts. I pray for change.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

To the 2 men at the gas station that pulled up next to me while I was putting gas in my car and said something very sexual and foul to me: I pray that someday when you have daughters they will never be objectified to that type of language. I pray that by that time we will live in a society where women will feel safe at night doing something as simple as putting gas in their car and not feel threatened or scared. I pray that by that time you will have learned to be protectors for women and not mindless perverts. I pray for change.
        Good for her. Looks like you did something right, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

very nice...
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Great response by your daughter, and I'm happy she feels empowered to share her experience.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

I am very proud of her. She has a kind heart and love for people.

Comment

Nice response. But what will praying accomplish?
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Nice response. But what will praying accomplish?
                  She's not just praying. She's sharing her story in a way designed to spark heightened awareness, kindness and empathy. By referencing her faith and her belief in prayer, she's also bonding in the sharing of her story and her message with other people of faith.

Comment

But what will praying accomplish?
                    Sorry, I get this in the situation where "I'll pray for you" is used towards a victim, instead of (and in place of) actually performing an action to help them. That gets annoying, and I can see where that mentality can become frustrating.

But when it's the victim herself that's doing the "praying", who are you to criticize how she chooses to react to someone treating her like that? If her personal beliefs compel her to pray for others, why complain about it? What is she hurting? Why even make this comment? This comes across very poorly, I'm sure you did not mean it in the way it reads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Sorry, I get this in the situation where "I'll pray for you" is used towards a victim, instead of (and in place of) actually performing an action to help them. That gets annoying, and I can see where that mentality can become frustrating.

But when it's the victim herself that's doing the "praying", who are you to criticize how she chooses to react to someone treating her like that? If her personal beliefs compel her to pray for others, why complain about it? What is she hurting? Why even make this comment? This comes across very poorly, I'm sure you did not mean it in the way it reads.
                      Correct that I didn't mean it as a criticism, I just find it fascinating that people "pray" for others. I realize that it is a personal issue and everyone has their own way of dealing with things, but I always find it interesting. I just like to question things that i find "different" from what I do. Of course i am not implying that my way is always the best way, I just like to question stuff.

Like why does she, or anyone, feel the need to publicly post that they are praying for anything? it's one thing to do it privately, but why publicize it? I'm not criticizing, just curious.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        She's not just praying. She's sharing her story in a way designed to spark heightened awareness, kindness and empathy. By referencing her faith and her belief in prayer, she's also bonding in the sharing of her story and her message with other people of faith.
                        OK. Sounds good.

Comment

scary story.

in NJ and OR, this scenario doesn't exist because an employee pumps the gas for you.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Correct that I didn't mean it as a criticism, I just find it fascinating that people "pray" for others. I realize that it is a personal issue and everyone has their own way of dealing with things, but I always find it interesting. I just like to question things that i find "different" from what I do. Of course i am not implying that my way is always the best way, I just like to question stuff.
                            This clarification makes sense to me, thanks! I agree that asking questions about things that are different from your norm is helpful.

Like why does she, or anyone, feel the need to publicly post that they are praying for anything? it's one thing to do it privately, but why publicize it? I'm not criticizing, just curious.
                            I think B-Fly said it best, so I'll leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              scary story.

in NJ and OR, this scenario doesn't exist because an employee pumps the gas for you.
                              Given some of the employees I've met in my work experiences in both states, well, let's just say I'll take the self-serve scary any day.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X