Political ideology and parenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political ideology and parenting

I got super-steamed by a Facebook post from the head of my town's (small) Republican Club, which I'll post here:

"Raising offspring to adulthood successfully is essentially and inherently a conservative effort, otherwise the offspring perishes. If parents are not willing to be conservative in their childrearing (discipline, education, limits, standards, law abiding, respecting authority, teaching a child to think and see clearly), a child may be at greater risk of failure from injury, accident, social dysfunction, etc. There are ideological risks, too, but those are longer term, IMO.

I find here in Montclair there are political 'oreo' couples/families...quite successful, and perhaps the ultimate social combination: very liberal on the outside (looks & sounds good to our progressive community), conservative on the inside (kids are highly disciplined, skilled in firearms use, go to private schools, attend orthodox house of worship regularly, etc.)

I agree with [earlier post] about making a match with someone with similar political views. Too much energy would be spent trying to get around those rocks in the river...folks should be on the same team.

If you're asking about a particular liberal partner putting the child(ren) at risk, the messaging from the liberal partner was not in touch with reality as the children were passing through adolescence. Conservative partner saw this as a bid no-no.

I try to love and learn from all."

So, talk me down or tell me what you think she got right/wrong here.

What a moron.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You should respond with ""Raising offspring to adulthood successfully is essentially and inherently a liberal effort, otherwise the offspring fails to adapt to changing societal norms and gets left behind. If parents are not willing to be liberal in their childrearing (recognizing and embracing diversity, technology, education, and progress, a child may be at greater risk of failure from injury, accident, social dysfunction, etc.

The fact he labels "education" a conservative value is laughable.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        You should respond with ""Raising offspring to adulthood successfully is essentially and inherently a liberal effort, otherwise the offspring fails to adapt to changing societal norms and gets left behind. If parents are not willing to be liberal in their childrearing (recognizing and embracing diversity, technology, education, and progress, a child may be at greater risk of failure from injury, accident, social dysfunction, etc.

The fact he labels "education" a conservative value is laughable.
        I rejected the premise a bit more than that. My response to her was:

"I've observed very little, if any, correlation between political ideology and good/involved parenting. That said, I also don't view "skilled in firearms use," "go to private schools" or "attend orthodox house of worship regularly" as correlating with good parenting, either. I do believe that good parenting involves limit setting and discipline, as well as nurture, affection, engagement and age-appropriate earned privileges/independence. Again, however, I've observed little to no correlation with political ideology/voting pattern."

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I rejected the premise a bit more than that. My response to her was:

"I've observed very little, if any, correlation between political ideology and good/involved parenting. That said, I also don't view "skilled in firearms use," "go to private schools" or "attend orthodox house of worship regularly" as correlating with good parenting, either. I do believe that good parenting involves limit setting and discipline, as well as nurture, affection, engagement and age-appropriate earned privileges/independence. Again, however, I've observed little to no correlation with political ideology/voting pattern."
          Your snark filter is much more refined
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Sometimes when I think we are regressing as a society and that good changes are not happening fast enough, I think of things like how just 10-15 years ago it was very common for many comedians to get enthusiastic applause for sharing tales of how they had the crap beat out of them by their parents and they came out better for it. You don't hear those tales anymore as much, and certainty don't hear the applause for the notion of beating the crap out of your kids anymore. That's a good thing. For years, my mother told me I'd understand when I had kids the need for smacking the crap out of them. Well, I have two boys now, and while they piss me off from time to time, I've never thought it would be a good idea to hit them.

I realize it is reductive to say conservative parenting=corporal punishment, but no more so than this clown's redefining of conservative and liberal to suit his narrative that conservatism, as he narrowly defines it, is equal to good parenting, and liberalism is equal to bad parenting. I suppose in his view, all those who vote for Dems raise their kids super permissively, allow them to get away with whatever they want, and give them participation trophies for doing their chores. It is just as false a notion as someone assuming a conservative voter/parent raises his kids to hate those not like him, and beats the crap out of them. I've known wonderful Republican and Democrat parents alike, and it is generally an area where you can see that good folks have a lot in common. In this case, a love of their children. I've also known horrible parents, both liberal and conservative. As B-Fly says, I've seen no correlation between politics and parenting.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-20-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

This person is way off and Sour Masher hits the nail on the head!
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
              X