White Fright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Fright

Laura Ingraham's racist rant has to be the most blatant, pro-Trump blather ever aired on a national network:

"It wasn't so much a dog whistle as it was an airhorn. Or perhaps a primal scream. But whatever it was, Laura Ingraham's forceful denunciation of "massive demographic changes" served as another raw example of a Fox News host echoing white nationalist language.

Perhaps it was a glimpse into President Donald Trump's well of support, too.

The Fox News audience is almost 100% white, according to Nielsen. And on the channel's highest-rated shows, the politics of white anxiety play out practically every day, as hosts and guests warn about the impacts of immigration and minimize or mock the perspectives of people of color. The talk show segments are clearly intended to appeal to people who perceive they are losing their grip on power.

In 2018, Tucker Carlson, at 8 p.m., and Ingraham, at 10 p.m., spend the most time on this subject. (The host in between, Sean Hannity, concentrates more on defending Trump.)

"The America we know and love doesn't exist anymore," Ingraham said Wednesday night. "Massive demographic changes have been foisted on the American people, and they are changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don't like." Ingraham said "this is related to both illegal and legal immigration."

LEGAL immigration. Poor, poor white folk.

What were the tiki torch bearers chanting in Charlottesville? "You will not replace us." It's not remotely all Republicans or all Trump supporters or all Fox News viewers, but there is a significant audience within America for the idea that white Christians are endangered and need to act to protect their numbers, their turf, their rights, their cultural dominance.

I of course, don't view adding people who aren't white as "replacing" white people, though. Replacing white people would look more like...

[image]https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Cybermen.jpg[/image]

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

"The America we know and love doesn't exist anymore," Ingraham said Wednesday night. "Massive demographic changes have been foisted on the American people, and they are changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don't like." Ingraham said "this is related to both illegal and legal immigration."
      Wasn't this quote originally from Sitting Bull?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        there is a significant audience within America for the idea that white Christians are endangered and need to act to protect their numbers, their turf, their rights, their cultural dominance.
        I think for many older Christians their theology has been very wrapped up in God and Country. I don't think you see that as much in younger Christians.

There is definitely a feeling for older Christians that their values are under siege and the country isn't the same. I believe this is also the view of many folks in the Southern Bible Belt, but that is my assumption.

Those Christians 50 and younger have a very different view. I fully anticipate in the next 10-15 years that Christianity will be a minority religion in the US. One of my reasons for so adamantly saying that minorities voices needed to heard, even those that are unpopular, is I don't want to lose my voice when it is in the minority.

And Laura's Ingraham's speech is repugnant.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

interestingly (maybe), Ingraham has adopted 3 kids - 2 boys from Russia, and a girl from Guatemala.

also, she briefly dated Keith Olbermann.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            ...also, she briefly dated Keith Olbermann.
            that would have made for a couple of interesting dinnertime conversations ...
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              Those Christians 50 and younger have a very different view. I fully anticipate in the next 10-15 years that Christianity will be a minority religion in the US. One of my reasons for so adamantly saying that minorities voices needed to heard, even those that are unpopular, is I don't want to lose my voice when it is in the minority.
              I'm not sure how you define Christianity here, but if like I do you include all Christian denominations including Catholicism in your definition, I'm not sure how Christianity will be a minority religion in the US in 50 years, let alone 10-15. A heavy percentage of new immigrants (probably the large majority) are Christians.

Comment

I'm not sure how you define Christianity here, but if like I do you include all Christian denominations including Catholicism in your definition, I'm not sure how Christianity will be a minority religion in the US in 50 years, let alone 10-15. A heavy percentage of new immigrants (probably the large majority) are Christians.
                My understanding is that most "Evangelical Christians" view Catholics and Mormons as "cultists" more than fellow christians
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  that would have made for a couple of interesting dinnertime conversations ...
                  Or bedroom chatter!

Comment

https://www.prri.org/research/americ...-unaffiliated/

America’s youngest religious groups are all non-Christian. Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists are all far younger than white Christian groups. At least one-third of Muslims (42%), Hindus (36%), and Buddhists (35%) are under the age of 30. Roughly one-third (34%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans are also under 30. In contrast, white Christian groups are aging. Slightly more than one in ten white Catholics (11%), white evangelical Protestants (11%), and white mainline Protestants (14%) are under 30. Approximately six in ten white evangelical Protestants (62%), white Catholics (62%), and white mainline Protestants (59%) are at least 50 years old.
                    Originally posted by Fresno Bob
                    My understanding is that most "Evangelical Christians" view Catholics and Mormons as "cultists" more than fellow christians
                    To hone that in, younger Evangelical see Catholics as Christians. but not Mormons. If I could bring it even closer there are many Evangelicals that would look at some of the other people attending their church and not consider them Christians.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I can't speak to "most Evangelical Christians" not even sure I am in that group. As a non-Catholic Christian I certainly would include them in the group known as Christians.

Comment

ITC, just because the average age is younger and/or the demographic currently skews younger doesn't change the fact that there are so many more total Christians (inclusive of Catholic) than there are of those "younger" religious groups. There's no way Christians (inclusive of Catholics) become a minority faith in the US in our lifetime and probably not in our kids' lifetimes, if ever. Keep in mind that many American Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists are foreign born and their parents still live in their country of origin, so there are going to be a lot fewer over 50 years old.

Comment

While Christianity is clearly declining, based on this it seems that non-christian religions have been pretty constant over the past 25 years at between 10-15% (maybe a slight uptick); the only way Christianity becomes a minority religion is if you consider those heathen atheists a religion ...

edit/disclaimer: I tried to find a source for this chart but can't (it was posted on reddit), so I'm not sure of its veracity ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X