Alex Jones kicked off YouTube, Facebook, & iTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Jones kicked off YouTube, Facebook, & iTunes

What do you think of this? I'm sure the right wing will largely view it as an attack on the right and an attack on free speech, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I saw an interesting take on it. Essentially, if they're using the reason that he promotes 'hate speech', that doesn't merit removal. It's too broad of a term to be consistent in what qualifies as hate speech. The real reason he deserved his takedown was the continued defamatory comments he directed towards the parents of victims of both Sandy Hook and Stoneman Douglas. 2 parents of a 6 year old murdered in Sandy Hook have had to move 7 times to escape Alex Jones' harassers, including one kook sentenced to 5 months in jail for stalking and harassment.

Do you think smearing the parents of school shooting victims is worthy of de-platforming?

He also recently went on a rant about spotify taking down his clips and he screamed at his audience "when is somebody going to do something?!"...

I think these companies saw that it was a matter of time before one of Jones' supporters "did something"... and they didn't want to be sued for promoting his show that encourages violence. Thank God for deregulation and the free market, amirite right wingers?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Generally when people speak of "free speech" they're speaking of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution, but that clearly wouldn't apply against private corporations like Apple or Facebook or Google (which owns YouTube). So to the extent those on the right view this as an attack on free speech, they'd essentially be calling for much heavier government regulation of these internet-based platforms, almost along the lines of public utilities. It's hard for me to understand any argument that would preclude these companies from severing ties with Alex Jones pressed by any of the same people who were simultaneously okay with ending "net neutrality". If we're going to regulate internet-based communications/media platforms to require that they, like government entities subject to the 1st Amendment, must observe "viewpoint neutrality" when they've in essence created a limited public forum, I understand the rationale, but it should be acknowledged that it would be promoting a very heavy-handed government intrusion on the free market, which conservatives have long strongly opposed.

Comment

Anyone who complains about any group or person being taken off a private platform is an attack on free speech (at least in the US) is woefully ignorant. Moreover, anyone who hasn't yet recognized that Facebook and Twitter grossly lean left is pretty ignorant, too. They're private entities and can allow or disbar groups, companies, or individuals as they wish from a "free speech" platform. Banning permanently may have contract issues tied to it for a company or group, depending on the Terms and Conditions of their agreement, but that's a civil issue and not a government issue.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Anyone who complains about any group or person being taken off a private platform is an attack on free speech (at least in the US) is woefully ignorant. Moreover, anyone who hasn't yet recognized that Facebook and Twitter grossly lean left is pretty ignorant, too. They're private entities and can allow or disbar groups, companies, or individuals as they wish from a "free speech" platform. Banning permanently may have contract issues tied to it for a company or group, depending on the Terms and Conditions of their agreement, but that's a civil issue and not a government issue.
        Appreciate your sensibility. Do you think the POTUS will agree with you? I wonder how right wing media and politicians will handle Jones' ousting.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          Appreciate your sensibility. Do you think the POTUS will agree with you? I wonder how right wing media and politicians will handle Jones' ousting.
          I suspect POTUS (with his advisors) and the right-wing media will toss Apple, Facebook and Twitter in with the "mainstream media" and cry "censorship" and "bias" rather than "violation of free speech".

Comment

they would be correct on the "bias" part - wouldn't they?
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I'm really impressed with Apple's half-assing of this.

You can't get podcasts, but "Hey, if you still looking for our definition of hate speech. Well, really as Teenwolf points out, we just don't want to be sued. You can grab the InfoWars app at the AppStore. Happy listening."
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                What do you think of this? I'm sure the right wing will largely view it as an attack on the right and an attack on free speech, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I saw an interesting take on it. Essentially, if they're using the reason that he promotes 'hate speech', that doesn't merit removal. It's too broad of a term to be consistent in what qualifies as hate speech. The real reason he deserved his takedown was the continued defamatory comments he directed towards the parents of victims of both Sandy Hook and Stoneman Douglas. 2 parents of a 6 year old murdered in Sandy Hook have had to move 7 times to escape Alex Jones' harassers, including one kook sentenced to 5 months in jail for stalking and harassment.

Do you think smearing the parents of school shooting victims is worthy of de-platforming?

He also recently went on a rant about spotify taking down his clips and he screamed at his audience "when is somebody going to do something?!"...

I think these companies saw that it was a matter of time before one of Jones' supporters "did something"... and they didn't want to be sued for promoting his show that encourages violence. Thank God for deregulation and the free market, amirite right wingers?
                I would never give this guy 2 seconds of my time.

If he was smearing the parents of shooting victims he should be taken down.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  they would be correct on the "bias" part - wouldn't they?
                  Yes, since every person or group of persons has a bias. However, as Gregg noted, there are certainly some pretty strong reasons for condemning/shunning Alex Jones that have nothing to do with his location on the left-right political spectrum.

Comment

I dont disagree with you Fly - not an Alex Jones guy at all myself. However, they would be correct if they claimed bias and maybe censorship. I dont agree with the guy, but at least I know he is a wack job because he has been able to speak and show himself as one.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I dont disagree with you Fly - not an Alex Jones guy at all myself. However, they would be correct if they claimed bias and maybe censorship. I dont agree with the guy, but at least I know he is a wack job because he has been able to speak and show himself as one.
                      It's a tough question, as there is also risk in legitimizing his insanity through mainstream format support.

It would only be a sign of bias if others from the left are doing the same thing and not being held accountable. So I'm curious, which left wingers are making dangerous statements and what are those statements? Seems a little bit like the "culture of victimization" chancellor claims to be such a horrible aspect of the black political identity.

Comment

Sunlight it the best disinfectant - so let people speak their piece. You then know whether to give the person credence or walk away. Treating as taboo or "hidden knowledge" may actually make it more attractive to people.

Comment

Sunlight it the best disinfectant - so let people speak their piece. You then know whether to give the person credence or walk away. Treating as taboo or "hidden knowledge" may actually make it more attractive to people.
                          Unfortunately the are millions out there who buy into his bullshit so while this may be true on a personal level, it doesn't hold up in contemporary 'Murica.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

TW -
                            I cant speak to which "lefties" are being shutdown by the Apple's, Facebook's, Twitter's or YouTube's likely because it hasnt been made public. It doesnt mean that these organizations dont have a bias.

I do know the people like Dave Rubin and Ben Shapiro have both had various portions of their productions demonetized by YouTube. I find Rubin interesting as he has folks from both sides of the aisle on from Sam Harris, Eric and Brett Weinstein to Ben Shapiro and Thomas Sowell.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Unfortunately the are millions out there who buy into his bullshit so while this may be true on a personal level, it doesn't hold up in contemporary 'Murica.
                              That doesnt change the fact, that you have to let people see and hear the bullshit so they can decide what to do with it. Just because "it doesn't hold up in contemporary 'Murica" doesnt mean we shouldnt see the shit to know its shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X