Fortnite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortnite

Anyone playing this? This "free" game has taken my household by storm. My 3 sons play it every second they can, and as far as being "free", ha! Between them, I think they've spent over $300 of my and birthday gift money on it. Now, I can understand if this real money gives you a kind of advantage in the game.....but no! It's just for skins and dances and other crap that doesn't mean anything! A new player avatar literally costs $15-$20, and adds no value whatsoever.

Funny story (well, really not funny) -- my youngest son just turned 6, and my mother mailed him a $25 Amazon gift card. Like my other sons, they use it to buy an Xbox gift card and then "vBucks" on Fortnite. I normally don't have my credit card info stored on the Xbox, but because my kids' birthdays are all close together (May-July), I left it on there. What a mistake. You still need to enter a password to buy stuff, but guess what? My 6-year old knew it! So he gets the Amazon card and thinks the xBox ppints are already pre-loaded on the Xbox, like magic. Then without telling me, he goes onto Fortnite and buys vBucks -- but instead of $25 worth, he buys $100 worth! And he literally uses them all up within minutes, to buy new weapons and costumes and crap. Aye caramba.

I call Microsoft to complain. But lo and behold, their policy is one screwup per child account, and he pulled this same crap before (buying a $60 game) in March, so I was what they call "shit out of luck" and had to eat a $75 mistake.

Nobody???? Man, it's taken all of my friend's kids by storm. Our whole little league team was playing it.

Comment

My son plays it all the time. Or watches videos of other people playing it.

So far we have avoided spending any money on it.

And he knows all the dances, as do all his friends. I hear it's pretty popular in the clubhouses around the league, too.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I'm lucky so far to have an older daughter (9) who isn't all that into gaming, but is mostly pushing for a smart phone - so far she just has a dumb one. And then my younger son (7) mostly just wants to play with his sister, play with Lego, or read/play about DC superheroes. I'm hoping to keep him away from online/multi-player gaming. :fingerscrossed:

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Nobody???? Man, it's taken all of my friend's kids by storm. Our whole little league team was playing it.
          So...has your son finished mopping out the garage by hand yet?

Chance jr. is into two older console games - Smash Bros and Pokemon. We watched the EVO Vegas Smash Bros melee tourney on Saturday and Sunday together, and he did really well at Pokemon nationals this year in the console division. I used to play Starcraft (in fact, The Dane generously gave me some very helpful noob hints when I first started) but gave that up and was hooked on Pokemon Go about two years ago.

We were just talking about how much Fortnite has consumed players; even he's amazed. He said it's grown much faster than Call of Duty did when it came out.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I have 2 grandsons into big time and since I am semi retired - I have been playing with him. ( just so he can laugh at me). His mom (daughter bitches ) he plays too much but really it is just like the old days when we would get together with friends and play games and shoot the shit. That's is what's they do now but in 2 different ways.

1 all play at their house with headphones yacking away at each other like they are in the room.

2 OR they show up at each other's house with game and small screen in hand and all play in the same room.

Just the other day it was my grandson , son in law and me playing together in our own homes and it ( even tho I suck) was fun and we even won 2 matches as a team. Tho I am pretty sure they used me as bait . My grandson is a ruthless Bastard😉

Comment

I teach middle school. They sneak their phones into class to play.
              If I catch them, I usually ask "what does your girlfriend think" and wait for the comment from a classmate. " Don't be ridiculous, he doesn't have a girlfriend because he plays fortnight all the time". Followed by hoots and hollers
              Aaah 8th graders

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                I have 2 grandsons into big time and since I am semi retired - I have been playing with him. ( just so he can laugh at me). His mom (daughter bitches ) he plays too much but really it is just like the old days when we would get together with friends and play games and shoot the shit. That's is what's they do now but in 2 different ways.

1 all play at their house with headphones yacking away at each other like they are in the room.

2 OR they show up at each other's house with game and small screen in hand and all play in the same room.

Just the other day it was my grandson , son in law and me playing together in our own homes and it ( even tho I suck) was fun and we even won 2 matches as a team. Tho I am pretty sure they used me as bait . My grandson is a ruthless Bastard��
                Playing Duos with my Grandson last night he actually told me -" you go down in the valley and build a fort while I stay up in the mountains - your the bait grandpa".

Comment

good read -- https://www.instapaper.com/read/1090284143

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

I agree with this - it is a very social game esp squads / Duos

My grandson has his gang he hangs out with and he also plays with his dad ,uncles and me. It helps his group skills and when he plays with us oldsters even his confidence as he is the best shooter in the group but he also learns from us as we give him some strategy that older wiser players bring to the game. Plus we do a lot of laughing when we play together.

Comment

my kids are all PC gamers, mostly because we only buy them crap phones (but good PCs!)
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

The point of Fortnite is to eliminate the other players, so I find it hysterical when my kids play on their own Xbox and then scream, cry and run to each other's rooms to yell at each other when they get eliminated. That's usually followed by me disconnecting their Xbox.

Comment

The point of Fortnite is to eliminate the other players, so I find it hysterical when my kids play on their own Xbox and then scream, cry and run to each other's rooms to yell at each other when they get eliminated. That's usually followed by me disconnecting their Xbox.
                          Actually the name of the game is to be the last one standing , my grandson got a lot better when we taught him to have a plan and not just go rushing in . Gather ammo, better guns and materials to build. Then go looking for high ground and the fight. Art of War baby.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                            Actually the name of the game is to be the last one standing , my grandson got a lot better when we taught him to have a plan and not just go rushing in . Gather ammo, better guns and materials to build. Then go looking for high ground and the fight. Art of War baby.
                            That's true, but players get eliminated, and my kids can't deal with that!

Comment

Working...
                            X