Kilauea volcano in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilauea volcano in Hawaii

Anyone been paying attention to the volcano in Hawaii? I find it fascinating and obviously sad at the same time for people affected by it. I was just there in November, beautiful place.

Some good pics and videos here: https://weather.com/news/news/2018-0...lcano-activity

The Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation area of Leilani Estates,

A massive 1,000ft-long new fissure opened on Hawaii's Kilauea volcano yesterday, as thousands of residents wait for a possible 'explosive eruption' at its summit.

PAHOA, Hawaii (Reuters) - A large explosion in Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano on Wednesday may mark the beginning of more violent, explosive eruptions that could spray rocks for miles (kilometers) and dust nearby towns in volcanic ash and smog, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, erupted on Thursday, and a powerful earthquake shook the crater the next day. Lava flows from fissures on its flank have destroyed at least 36 homes and other buildings, and caused the evacuation of some 2,000 residents.

The USGS warned that more violent eruptions at the crater could begin mid-May, shooting rocks weighing several tons for over half a mile (1 km), hurling pebble-sized projectiles several miles (km) and dusting areas up 20 miles (32 km) away with ash.

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

I was just there in mid-February.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I was there 9 years ago - the lava tubes, the observatory, the lava fields, and the Jaggar museum. It's heartbreaking to see what's happening there. The overlook was closed when we were there due to sulfur gases being strong that day (although we could walk past 13 buses spewing diesel exhaust). People just don't understand or appreciate the magnitude of that crater unless you've been there. Those fissures are 10 miles from the Halemaumau crater.

Comment

Seems like a much better place to visit than to live.

Comment

I always find the USGS eruption/lava maps fascinating:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Hawaii's Kilauea volcano could have a major devastating eruption at 'any time', the US Geographical Survey has said.

The volcano has been erupting for 10 days, and more than 2000 residents have already been evacuated.

'At any time, activity may become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent,' the USGS said on Tuesday afternoon.

The USGS also raised the volcano aviation alert level at Hawaii’s Kilauea to red - the highest level - which indicates a 'major volcanic eruption is imminent, underway, or suspected with hazardous activity both on the ground and in the air.'

A recent lowering of the lava lake at the volcano's Halemaumau crater 'has raised the potential for explosive eruptions' at the volcano, the organisation said.

Plumes of smoke are reaching up to 12,000 feet into the sky and ash is raining on to nearby towns. On Wednesday, The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory recorded a lava temperature of 217 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hawaii's Kilauea volcano could have a major, explosive eruption at 'any time', the US Geographical Survey has said. Nearly 20 lava-spewing fissures have opened up, and lava is spilling towards roads.

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim says lava from Kilauea volcano has destroyed more than 600 homes since early last month.

Kim told reporters in Hilo today the total includes about 320 homes in the coastal community of Kapoho. It also includes all homes in Vacationland.
              http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/0...in-lower-puna/

Comment

why do they call it lava and not magma? is it magma inside the volcano and lava outside?

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  why do they call it lava and not magma? is it magma inside the volcano and lava outside?
                  I think they stopped using the word magma after dr evil made everyone giggle when they hear it.

or maybe that's just me.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                    Yep. Also Magma is hotter than lava.

Comment

New coastline emerges as Kilauea pumps more lava to the sea

Lava from the Kilauea volcano that flowed into Kapoho Bay has created nearly a mile of new land and officials with the U.S. Geological Survey said Thursday the flow is still very active and there's no way to know when the eruption will end or if more lava-spewing vents will open.

Comment

I love the new term that has emerged, laze.

Most dictionaries have it as the verb form of lazy. For geologists, laze--short for lava+haze-- is the product when lava meets seawater. It is a steam cloud that contains a deadly combination of hydrocloric acid and tiny pieces of volcanic glass.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                        X