Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Hippo Batman!!

31 seconds of awesome!

That hippo looked huge even by hippo standards.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      That hippo looked huge even by hippo standards.
      I could not believe how fast that giant can move.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I could not believe how fast that giant can move.
        They are no joke. They are widely considered Africa's most dangerous animal. Hard to get exact numbers, but most estimates indicate they kill more people than lions, elephants, rhino, and all the other big predators combined. They move amazingly fast in the water, especially when you consider males can get up over 6,000 pounds.

Comparing relative weight ratios, a 150lbs person is to a large male hippo what a chihuahua is to us. And not even a fat chihuahua. One of the little scrawny ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          They are no joke. They are widely considered Africa's most dangerous animal. Hard to get exact numbers, but most estimates indicate they kill more people than lions, elephants, rhino, and all the other big predators combined. They move amazingly fast in the water, especially when you consider males can get up over 6,000 pounds.

Comparing relative weight ratios, a 150lbs person is to a large male hippo what a chihuahua is to us. And not even a fat chihuahua. One of the little scrawny ones.
          They can propel through the water at 30 miles per hour. Kind of looks like that in the video.

They can run 15 miles an hour on dry land. I would never guess that by just looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            They can propel through the water at 30 miles per hour. Kind of looks like that in the video.

They can run 15 miles an hour on dry land. I would never guess that by just looking at them.
            Yeah, on land, sufficiently pumped up by adrenaline, someone in decent shape could probably get away from one, but it would require real running. In the water, your a total goner.

Comment

I heard once that most attacks occur on land when a human gets between the hippo and their water source. Even if you aren't threatening them or even aware they are there. If they see something between them and the water they freak out and attack.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I heard once that most attacks occur on land when a human gets between the hippo and their water source. Even if you aren't threatening them or even aware they are there. If they see something between them and the water they freak out and attack.
                Yeah, they are mean SOBs. Makes me rethink Hungry, Hungry Hippo as a dark survival horror game!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Yep, plus they can hold their breath for 30 minutes. You could be boating over one and never know until it is too late.

Comment

Working...
                  X