Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Paul Ryan the latest GOPer to bail

And just hours later, Rep. Dennis Ross becomes the next GOP rep to want no part of the 2018 race and "retires."

CNN's Katie Bolduan asked how much “President Trump and the culture in Washington right now, how divisive it is” played a role in the congressman’s decision.

“That does play a factor,” Ross, who announced his support of Trump’s bid for the presidency in May 2016, spoke at a Trump campaign rally and served on Trump’s transition team, said.

Ryan and Ross make the number of incumbent GOPers leaving/retiring/running in other races at a whopping 44.

Comment

Trump appears to be the same anchor for Reps as Obama was for the Dems in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
        Trump appears to be the same anchor for Reps as Obama was for the Dems in 2010.
        Dems didn't get the hint in 2010 as only 20 exited early rather than face the buzzsaw. So if anything, at least give the GOPers credit for seeing a little more clearly!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Dems didn't get the hint in 2010 as only 20 exited early rather than face the buzzsaw. So if anything, at least give the GOPers credit for seeing a little more clearly!
          I think the Dems gradually lost support in 2010, which caused a lot of them to go down with the ship. The GOP seems to be well aware they are going to get crushed and many are getting out now. I thought Ryan is in a very GOP friendly district, so either he believes it’s going to be a tsunami or else he maybe thinking about a primary challenge to Trump

Comment

or else he maybe thinking about a primary challenge to Trump
            That's interesting -- hadn't considered that. Has this been floated?

Comment

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think the Dems gradually lost support in 2010, which caused a lot of them to go down with the ship. The GOP seems to be well aware they are going to get crushed and many are getting out now. I thought Ryan is in a very GOP friendly district, so either he believes it’s going to be a tsunami or else he maybe thinking about a primary challenge to Trump
                You're right. According to RCP, the GOP only began widening their lead in August & September of 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  That's interesting -- hadn't considered that. Has this been floated?
                  I think he’ll run at some point in time, but I don’t see Paul Ryan running in 2020.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Maybe Ryan will go back under the rock he crawled out from under Fuck him. Fuck him. Fuck.him.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Maybe Ryan will go back under the rock he crawled out from under Fuck him. Fuck him. Fuck.him.
                      So, let me see if I understand what you’re saying, you’re not a conservative? And, it’s just conservatives that post ignorant stuff online? Got it.
                      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Saying conservative must mean something to you. Paul Ryan has championed being a policy conservative his entire 20 years in office, and was known as the policy wonk with the plan. So with trump era. where all branches held R majority, they all held hands with this mass tax plan, the greatest draining of resources from the 99 percent in order to further enrich the top 1 percent in history, Paul Ryan must have felt he had done all he came to washington to do, and is bowing out at end of his term

CBO released april 9th the budget and economic outlook 2018 to 2028, showing u.s. is aggressively adding to debt this year and next year, with debt by 2028 topping 100 percent of us gdp. This quantum leap is during a booming economy, the polar opposite of what Obama inherited. That economy was the great banking disaster fueled by derivatives trading of swaps and the housing bubble. World was literally days away from a financial collapse that we can talk about. But this is different, Trump took office with economy humming nicely and decided to aggressively starve off the vast majority of population to hyper accelerate wealth of a handful of people.

Conservative used to mean financial responsible, what does it mean now?

Comment

For better or worse - mostly worse from my perspective - I have always found Paul Ryan to be a hardline Republican conservative of the textbook/wonky variety. He's not, however, a nativist or a populist, nor an admirer of the Trump's crass testosterone-addled, deliberately confrontational and egotistical leadership style and had to have been exasperated to see Trump take control over the party and the agenda. It will be interesting to see what he does next.

Comment

Paul Ryan seems like a serious individual who has put in his time in public service. I would hope he is exasperated by trump in all kinds of ways. to be president primarily means maintaining relationships with allies, to help the people, be it in trying to get health coverage for working poor or aide to natural disaster victims, and deal with crisis.

trump has been an anti president, creating crisis where there were none via daily tweet, as well as giving rise to doubt in our most trusted institutions, science, free press, our elite law enforcement fbi. good time to read up on fall of roman empire. while we do not have the gladiator games to distract from the handful of uber elite robbing resources from the masses, we do have our daily distractions that fill the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                              Saying conservative must mean something to you. Paul Ryan has championed being a policy conservative his entire 20 years in office, and was known as the policy wonk with the plan. So with trump era. where all branches held R majority, they all held hands with this mass tax plan, the greatest draining of resources from the 99 percent in order to further enrich the top 1 percent in history, Paul Ryan must have felt he had done all he came to washington to do, and is bowing out at end of his term

CBO released april 9th the budget and economic outlook 2018 to 2028, showing u.s. is aggressively adding to debt this year and next year, with debt by 2028 topping 100 percent of us gdp. This quantum leap is during a booming economy, the polar opposite of what Obama inherited. That economy was the great banking disaster fueled by derivatives trading of swaps and the housing bubble. World was literally days away from a financial collapse that we can talk about. But this is different, Trump took office with economy humming nicely and decided to aggressively starve off the vast majority of population to hyper accelerate wealth of a handful of people.

Conservative used to mean financial responsible, what does it mean now?
                              I guess my sarcasm was too subtle. Let me try it again. Did we not have a whole thread (started by Mith) dedicated to the bashing of conservatives? I was shocked by his curse filled post in which he eloquently laid out his thoughts on Paul Ryan because I, and I assume everyone else, had no idea exactly where he stood on this whole Conservative v. Liberals thing!

Any way, I think Paul Ryan has had enough swallowing his own vomit every time he has to defend Trump. He never was a pro-Trump guy although he played a good solider for sake of party. And, recall that he didn’t want the Speaker job in the first place and only took it after he was convinced to do so because the party factions could find anyone else that a majority of the GOP could elect as Speaker. If you’re a liberal, I get it, Ryan represents everything you can’t stand about conservatives or Republicans. But if you’re a conservative, he was the calming voice of reason among many loud angry voices. He had a vision of tax reform when he came to DC and worked tirelessly to achieve that. Someday in the future, I bet he’ll tell anyone that the recent tax bill looks very little like what he once envisioned. Like Obamacare, he had to compromise and cut and tweak and in the end, it was something, I feel it’s pretty good but a long way from perfect, but it wasn’t his plan.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X