X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 50 Pitching Prospects of 2006 In Review

Sickles reviews his Top 50 pitchers list from 2006

Top 50 Pitching Prospects from 2006 in Review

Yesterday we looked at the Top 50 Hitting Prospects from 2006, to see how they looked five years later. Today we'll take a look at the Top 50 pitchers.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Really good read. I used it for the basis of posting on a Jays blog, which I'll copy/paste:

From my count, 20 of 50 pitchers panned out, with 9 great starters (Verlander, Liriano, Cain, Billingsley, Lester, Weaver, Hughes, Danks, Hamels), 8 quality starters (Baker, Pelfrey, Sanchez, Volquez, Garza, Gio Gonzalez, Romero, Davis) and 3 very good closers (Papelbon, Broxton, Jenks)

26 of 50 hitting prospects panned out, with 8 superstars (Zimmerman, Fielder, J. Upton, Braun, Tulowitski, CarGo, McCutchen, and Pedroia), 12 very good players (D. Young, Quentin, S. Drew, Kendrick, Markakis, Barton, Morales, Adam Jones, Butler, Pence, Rasmus, and Willingham) and 8 acceptable starters who could still develop further (Tabata, DeWitt, E. Aybar, Pie, Martin, I. Stewart, C. Young, A. Gordon).

This gives me more hope than I previously had for our stockpiled prospects. Nice to see what Lawrie, Drabek, Stewart, etc, could turn into.
    Also, the success rate is higher than I had figured it was, which I find very encouraging, both in cheering for the Jays, and in playing roto.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

"Great" doesn't mean what it used to mean, I guess.
      Neither does "quality," apparently.
      Or "superstar."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        "Great" doesn't mean what it used to mean, I guess.
        Neither does "quality," apparently.
        Or "superstar."
        Which players do you take issue with? The only ones I can see that might be over-stated are Phil Hughes, Mike Pelfrey, Justin Upton, and Andrew McCutchen.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
        X