Facebook and Cambridge Analytica...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook and Cambridge Analytica...

Kind of late in the game to start this thread, but I think that this is going to be a HUGE issue from here on out. Just as it was a HUGE issue in the past several years, but we were too blind to see what Facebook et al were doing...today facebook announced that they're going to try to close the barn door after the horses escaped and the building is an inferno.

Facebook says most people on its vast social network may have had their public profile scraped by third parties
    Facebook said it would severely restrict the information developers and other companies can take from the 2 billion users of its social network.

The company added that data about 87 million people, mostly living in the United States, was improperly obtained by Cambridge Analytica without the permission of these users.

Facebook’s announcement Wednesday and others last week reflect a major shift in the company’s relationship with third-party apps. In the past, developers could get access to people’s relationship status, calendar events, private Facebook posts and much more data that was highly valuable to advertisers, including political campaigns. Now they will be required to go through a much stricter process.
    Courtesy WaPo mail alerts...

Well, isn't that swell...NOW companies will be required to go through a stricter process. NOW that all the info has already been scraped...Brilliant Zuckerberg, just brilliant. But you've already got yours, right? So fuck the little guy...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Isn't it good that the barn door was open and the horses escaped if the building is an inferno? I mean, closing them now seems like a waste, but you make it sound like it was bad that they were open in the first place.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I like my metaphors like my drinks...mixed.

Give a brother a break, I had surgery today to remove my head from my ass...it was actually something other than my head, but it might as well have been with that metaphor...oy!
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

As John Oliver said last Sunday ... Yeah but that Farmville was fun, wasn't it?
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I am totally shocked

Another media circus for the interminably blind.

It's been public knowledge that Facebook having been selling data and access to data for years. No-one cared then, least of all the retard press ... and another shocking revelation ... no-one will care in 6 months when this circus has left town.

Besides, if you decide to make your personal data public on a forum like Facebook, you can't really have any complaints when it's being used by 3rd parties. Even if they don't have deals with Facebook, it's so easy for firms to farm data.

My only surprise was that it took them so long to reveal the Trump and Brexit angle.

Comment

in this day and age i'd say you'd have to go pretty far out of your way to protect your so-called personal data. facebook is an easy target, it's the biggest. but everyone's computer is probably getting ping 100 times a minute from places looking for information. if you had a firewall you'd see the true extent. nobody cares. millennial's wear it like a badge of honor. whether it's the attention or the power of social media, when reality star kim kardashian can say something offhand like 'who uses snapchat anymore?' and the next day the stock goes down 50%.

in the old days you'd fill out information about yourself and in return you'd be entered in publishers clearing house or something. but nowadays your just being stalked by anyone that wants to sell you something. it's the future. i think people like the idea of having things tailored specifically towards them at the expense of privacy.

i don't understand how companies make money off popups. does anybody really click popups? if not these companies are staying in business by printing stock like it's a ponzi scheme. maybe they are making more money off selling your information, surfing and shopping habits than any product they'd ever sell you.

it affects you in ways like, video's play automatically. it's become the accepted norm. spam, junkmail, slower computers. in reality, computers are no faster today than they were 25 years ago. with every increase in speed came more crapware.

Comment

Working...
            X