Roseanne returns as a Trump supporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roseanne returns as a Trump supporter

Did anybody watch the Roseanne re-boot that aired last night?

I'm a huge Roseanne fan. Grew up on it, re-watched every episode with my wife when we first got together, wrote part of David and Darlene's vows into our own wedding vows... so you can understand our concern when it was announced that Roseanne's character has re-emerged as a Trump supporter.

In the first episode, I don't understand why Roseanne is made to look so stupid. It's funny because a lot of the stupidity that she says on the show echoes right-wing commentary, but it definitely makes the character of Roseanne look uninformed, and I'm not sure if that was her intention. Maybe she's too nuts these days to understand how negative her portrayal is? I'm not sure.

My wife is pretty annoyed that Roseanne has a black grandchild. This seems like a good way to avoid discussing racial issues for the rest of the show, which is sad. Right wingers have such massive problems with minorities, so it's a shame this show will seemingly gloss over this issue.

Apparently Trump phoned Roseanne to congratulate her last night... It's hilarious to me that Trump and Roseanne BOTH seemingly fail to understand how critical this new show is of Trump country.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Barr on Kimmel. This may give you some context.

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Barr on Kimmel. This may give you some context.

As strange as it may seem, there was a lot of wisdom in what Roseanne said in this clip.
      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 03-29-2018, 05:11 PM.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Nah - she voted for Trump. There is nothing she can say that is wisdom....

In before the Left side says it.........
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          Nah - she voted for Trump. There is nothing she can say that is wisdom....

In before the Left side says it.........
          Well she is a bit nutty, don’t ya know!
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Everyone else involved with the show said before it aired, the first episode with piss of liberal fans, and the other eight would piss off conservative fans.

I completely disagree with Roseanne's support of Trump, as I disagree with anyone supporting him and what he stands for. But I have to admit, it takes courage to unapologetically admit being a Trump supporter in Hollywood, and she took a risk in putting her politics into her much beloved character. I gotta give her credit for that, and for being able to still be friends with her cast mates and colleagues who all disagree with her. I still can't help find her likeable. It is amazing how a good natured laugh here and there does a lot to me in terms of being able to accept and engage someone's crazy ideas .
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              My wife is pretty annoyed that Roseanne has a black grandchild. This seems like a good way to avoid discussing racial issues for the rest of the show, which is sad. Right wingers have such massive problems with minorities, so it's a shame this show will seemingly gloss over this issue.
              :startrant:

I didn't watch the show when it originally aired and didn't watch this episode, either.

With that said, I just cannot let this statement go without commenting. I consider myself one of the more middle of the road and congenial people here at RJ, and I think most people would agree with that. Your statement just pisses me off. You (and not just in this post) paint conservatives with such a broad brush, and I'm really tired of it. There are plenty of conservatives that don't have massive issues with minorities. Don't let the talking heads of conservatism be the only conservative voice you hear.

:endrant:
              Last edited by In the Corn; 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Not only are there a great number of conservatives that dont give one rats ass about the color of people's skin. The mere fact that you expect some television show to actually have to address any or all of the various political topics is absolutely one of the most selfish piles of bullshit that I can think of! Yeah, Im not as PC as my brother.

It's her show for crying out loud and she can discuss whatever the hell she wants to, how and when she wants to. Honestly, the mere fact that you watched this show, saw a black grandkid and immediately jumped to "well that topic isnt going to be discussed" is really awfully dare I say "racist". Again, its her damned show. You want to address multi-racial inter-generational issues on a television show - then go produce your own damned show. To immediately get from there's a black grandchild on a white family’s show - must not be going there is such a pile of shit - especially when it was the first episode in this show's run. Talk about narrow minded!!

Quit judging people based on what you believe their group identity should be. It's tribal bullshit. One of the greatest proponents of civil rights in this country looked forward to the time when people (his children) would "live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

Honestly - Martin Luther King the man raised up as maybe the greatest civil rights leader wanted people judged individually based on one's merits. All I see from so much of the left is bullshit decision making based on some group think identity politics. Martin Luther King's spirit is dead from much of the Left, because everyone has to fit in some nice box in order to pigeon hole people.

You want a reasonable discussion on immigration? You must be a bigot.
                You want to discuss why a specific woman is not the best candidate? You must be a misogynist.
                Any discussion about female genital mutilation or sharia law and its compatibility with US Law? Congrats, you are an islamaphobe.
                You want to discuss social services? Check your white privilege at the door.
                You want to discuss the 2nd amendment? Must be an ammosexual?

Seriously guys. In the last year I have been called all of the above (directly or indirectly) for holding an opinion that doesnt agree with what evidently is the majority here. This has happened to a bunch of others here also. So much so, that there are very few people here that you can even refer to as "conservative". Congrats on your ridding the site of the conservative anathema.

The irony here is that many of us arent conservative at all. We just arent as far left as all of you.
                Last edited by baldgriff; 03-29-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                  :startrant:

I didn't watch the show when it originally aired and didn't watch this episode, either.

With that said, I just cannot let this statement go without commenting. I consider myself one of the more middle of the road and congenial people here at RJ, and I think most people would agree with that. Your statement just pisses me off. You (and not just in this post) paint conservatives with such a broad brush, and I'm really tired of it. There are plenty of conservatives that don't have massive issues with minorities. Don't let the talking heads of conservatism be the only conservative voice you hear.

:endrant:
                  It's been an interesting last couple of days, to say the least. Starting with a lefty calling BG an "Ammosexual" because he is defending my right to own a gun (I don't, but that's not the point) in the Weird thread, to Miths' entire premise in his Conservatives v. Liberals thread (otherwise known as conservatives = bad, uninformed, poorly educated and just plain stupid v. liberals = smart, well-informed, rarely susceptible to fake news, and just generally special and gifted people thread), to this thread. This stuff certainly doesn't feel like the inclusive or tolerant behavior that the "lefties" seemingly preaches, unless of course it doesn't work toward their goals or involves anyone self-identifying as "conservative" whatever that is. Pissed off is a good way to describe my feelings as well. Yes, the inevitable BOO-HOO is coming, I can just feel it, already. Want me to tell you which posters will say it? Same drivel, different day!

Edited to add: I was writing this post when BG posted his response. Ammosexual, that's some funny shit right there!
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 03-29-2018, 08:58 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I never post on these toxic threads anymore, because being an independent is perhaps worst of all.

that said, I have always liked poster Teenwolf since way back when he was, well, a teen. he also has at times very poignantly shared experiences that have demonstrated his growth as a person. I truly admire that.

all of that said, this passage:

"My wife is pretty annoyed that Roseanne has a black grandchild. This seems like a good way to avoid discussing racial issues for the rest of the show, which is sad. Right wingers have such massive problems with minorities, so it's a shame this show will seemingly gloss over this issue."

I would gently suggest that the over-the-top stereotype not only is inaccurate and counterproductive, it may also have left you two stewing in your own juices. wild speculation on my part, obviously. but when I read that comment, I find it hard to believe that you are not trapped in a social media bubble, with little to no fresh air to breathe.

the new technology is almost inescapable, and the law of unintended consequences has led to highly destructive tribalism across the board. if you haven't found thoughtful articles that challenge your belief system, you aren't trying hard enough.

in the abstract, conservatism and liberalism are both very profound schools of political thought - they really are (and to touch on the other thread, it's pretty clear that there is more "fake news" on the mainstream right these days than on the left - and also that the left, realizing that, too often has tended to overreact by assuming too much).

I hope this post is not taken as some angry attack or something, because that certainly is not my intent. But I never did join Facebook, and I do think I am the richer for it.

let me add an example, from realclearpolitics.com on a recent speech in India by Hillary Clinton:

""If you look at the map of the United States, there is all that red in the middle, places where Trump won," she said. "What that map doesn’t show you is that I won the places that own two thirds of America’s Gross Domestic product. I won the places that are optimistic, diverse, dynamic, moving forward. And his whole campaign, Make America Great Again, was looking backwards. You don’t like black people getting rights, you don’t like women getting jobs, you don’t want to see that Indian American succeeding more than you are, whatever that problem is, I am going to solve it."

well, let's think about that for a moment, and take Louisiana and South Carolina as poster states for their unwillingness to see "that Indian American succeeding." seems plausible.

but wait.
                    in 2004, Bobby Jindal became the second Indian-American ever elected to Congress.
                    he became Governor in 2007 at age 36, and was re-elected with 65 pct of the vote in 2001.

or Nikki Haley, who was elected to the House in 2004 at age 32.
                    she then became Governor of South Carolina, the second Indian-American in the U.S. to achieve that status (Jindal was first).

so now it gets complicated, given that "right-wingers have such a problem with minorities" (which may include women).

even if you thought Jindal got in at first because those nasty right-wingers didn't realize he was "one of them," the state went 65 pct for him in re-election. and if you think that was all N'Awlins left-wingers voting for a minority, given his conservative views - um, no.

Haley comes from an even more conservative state, without a huge city - and she is, gasp, a woman.

note that the accusation is that Trump is so aggressively against Indian-Americans, so why is Haley now the U.S. Ambassador to the UN? and why haven't there been riots by all those right-wingers who have such a problem with minorities?
                    Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-29-2018, 08:54 PM.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Lol, two people stating as fact that I called BG an ammosexual. FAKE NEWS (please read again)
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        I never post on these toxic threads anymore, because being an independent is perhaps worst of all.
                        I don't either, it's like the Palestinian/Israeli situation. You're not changing anybody's mind whatsoever so I guess what's the point.

Comment

Just posting to say I hear and respect the points that were made here about generalizing and stereotyping about conservatives or Republicans and I do think that it has benefitted me to read and engage with the viewpoints expressed by thoughtful conservatives (and moderates and independents) both here in the Sports Bar and on Facebook over the past 15+ years. (And with thoughtful folks who reside to the left of me on the political spectrum, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

let me add an example, from realclearpolitics.com on a recent speech in India by Hillary Clinton:

""If you look at the map of the United States, there is all that red in the middle, places where Trump won," she said. "What that map doesn’t show you is that I won the places that own two thirds of America’s Gross Domestic product. I won the places that are optimistic, diverse, dynamic, moving forward. And his whole campaign, Make America Great Again, was looking backwards. You don’t like black people getting rights, you don’t like women getting jobs, you don’t want to see that Indian American succeeding more than you are, whatever that problem is, I am going to solve it."
                            This also demonstrates again why she lost and still to this day seems to forget that the Electoral College was created specifically as an attempt to keep each states rights balanced. So that those few cities with the highest populations and economic support are valued just the same as the podunk town in backwoods Kentucky. Or the cities in the rust belt that she completely ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Lol, two people stating as fact that I called BG an ammosexual. FAKE NEWS (please read again)
                              Here is your quote sir - from the “Weird” thread – the thread in which I was the only person defending peoples 2nd Amendment rights.

Now you can backtrack and say that the comment wasnt aimed at me. However, given that I was the only one in the thread with the "conservative" viewpoint and that I suggested that the usage of weapons could be to defend from enemies either foreign or domestic..

And that in that thread there was a short discussion about the fact that I was the only voice and sometimes it probably feels that the attacks get personal......

anyways your quote is as follows:

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Also, I find it the apex of hypocrisy that ammosexuals try to paint themselves as patriots while defending their rights to carry arms in case they need to kill American soldiers.
                              Yep given the context of the thread, and where each of us stand on the issue. I know you aren’t the ammosexual – so who am I to think that comment actually was intended towards?

Im not going to apologize for taking that as a shot across my bow. That has been the nature of the conversations I have had with a number of the "Lefties" here on a variety of topics. As I stated, earlier I have been either directly or INDIRECTLY called all of the various epithets that I used as examples earlier in this thread. At least when someone called me a misogynist, they didnt backtrack.

As it pertains to the "Weird" thread. I do not believe that I ever once invented or used some derogatory classification of "group identity" while discussing any of my ideas or defending my ideas from anyones interrogation. I provided definitions as to my understanding of the 2nd Amendment, I provided statistics from reputable sources (with links) to show why I supported the idea that there really isnt a gun problem. I provided additional statistical information to show that if there is any actual problem it is with handguns - not semi-automatic rifles. I demonstrated multiple times that the gun, as a tool, is being used in a correct and proper manner millions of times a year.

I dont expect that I was going to change minds. However, the actual fact that one could demonstrate that in a country where we have 300,000,000 guns and that there were only 36,500 gun deaths that these deaths, again while tragic, represent what in any other discussion or review would be statistical anomolies (.0001217%). The anomalies where just discounted out of hand.

Here is a statistical anomaly - Mario Mendoza hit 4 HR's in 1337 AB's (.002992%). Mario Mendoza was more likely to hit a damned HR than people are to getting killed by a gun. None of that mattered, because ultimately there was some "moral" case that is now more important in the 21st century.

Peoples individual rights in my mind - notice I didnt say my rights - are way more valuable and worth protecting than pretty much anything else in this world.

Sorry for the thread creep.

Comment

Working...
                              X