23. Get Out (I) (2017) 7.7
    24. Ghost (1990) 7
    25. The Shape of Water (2017) 7.6
    26. Rebecca (1940) 8.2
    27. Deliverance (1972) 7.7
    28. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) 8
    29. Heaven Can Wait (1943) 7.5
    30. Heaven Can Wait (1978) 6.9

Four of these won Best Picture, Rebecca, The Shape of Water, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Silence of the Lambs. You can make the case for several more it you add suspense movies, eg Titantic and every other building, train, boat and airplane thriller that was ever nominated. OTOH, I left out two names and could have also left out Robin Hood. Are there others?

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-18-2018, 07:29 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Two that come to mind are Jurassic Park and the original King Kong.

Comment

The Sixth Sense
      The Green Mile
      District 9

Comment

The Green Mile is one of my favorites. A few more:
        Fallen
        Frequency
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          The Green Mile is one of my favorites. A few more:
          Fallen
          Frequency
          Nominated for Best Picture. The Green Mile was. The Fantasy/SF element is small, but it's a legitimate selection.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I've always thought that Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back was the best of the original three Star Wars by far.

And while Dune was an over-extended movie that was a slog to get through much of the middle parts, any movie that kills Sting simply can not be under-rated.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Episode V is the Godfather II of the franchise
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                Episode V is the Godfather II of the franchise
                Right, both great but still behind the originals.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  New list at IMDb. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023732828/

Are there others?

J
                  Not sure how you generate this list and leave off the greatest of all, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Do these have to have been nominated for best picture to qualify for this list?

Jurassic Park had I think 3 noms but not best picture.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Not sure how you generate this list and leave off the greatest of all, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
                      It wasn't nominated for Best Picture even though Kubrick was nominated for Best Director.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        It wasn't nominated for Best Picture even though Kubrick was nominated for Best Director.

J
                        No kidding, wow.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

How Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Saw Into the Future
                          More than four decades later, however, the predictive futurism of “2001” was decisively ratified when Apple released its first iPad in 2010. Samsung issued a similar device a year later, and Apple immediately sued for patent infringement. That August the Korean company filed a response in federal court in San Jose, Calif., asserting that Apple couldn’t possibly have invented the iPad because the device had already been envisioned in “2001: A Space Odyssey.”
                          also, i like the 2008 movie Outlander. any sci-fi movie with John Hurt, and Ron Perlman is good. vikings and space travel and a monster maybe more intense than xenomorphs. it had everything.
                          Spoiler!

my favorite sci-fi movie will always be 2002 The Time Machine. Guy Pearce really nails it.

also, Ridley Scott deserves a lot of credit. i wouldn't say that Prometheus is a classic or anything. but when you first saw the movie Alien, and you saw that giant humanoid corpse sitting in the chair of a spaceship, you probably said, 'i want to know what that is!'. and 33 years later we got an answer.

Comment

time-reversal invariance: implies that the same laws of physics apply equally well forwards or backwards in time.. that the latter event is indistinguishable from the original, and that the flow of time does not have any naturally preferred direction (Britannica.com)

a principle in physics: if a given sequence of events is physically possible the same sequence in the opposite order is also possible. (Merriam-Webster)

The fundamental laws of physics guarantee that every process that happens “forward in time,” can also happen “backwards in time.” for example, an egg falls on the floor and breaks. in theory it's possible for that egg to go backwards and assemble itself. but it's very unlikely for something made up of many particles, but for a single particle it's possible. what can happen in the quantum world is theoretically possible in the macro world. just unlikely. electrons borrow energy and quantum tunnel thru objects all the time. and the laws of physics say that if i try to do the same thing and walk thru a wall, eventually if i try it enough times it will work. but it would probably take longer than the age of the universe or witnessing a proton decay... time-reversal invariance requires that every past must have exactly one future, and every future exactly one past. but the future and the past is indistinguishable.

when i think about 2002 the Time Machine remake, i still realize things i missed. for example why did the Morlock let him go? deep subtle things in the movie. like when he says his fiance lived but never existed because he built his time machine after she died. or what did Guy Pearce mean when they were fighting and he said, 'you're forgetting one thing, what if'. how the Morlock said his species didn't have a choice.
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                            X