2018 State of the Union Address and Rebuttal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 State of the Union Address and Rebuttal

I thought I would give this a new thread instead of lumping it into the Trump thread.

I'll start by saying I think it's our duty as citizens to listen to the State of the Union. We may not agree with the President, but I think it important that we hear from the "horse's mouth" exactly what he/she is thinking instead of waiting for the soundbites.

Mrs. ITC and I watched the address last night. I found it to be very, very long. No one has that much to say. I thought he did a very good job with his guests. His stories and their actions were compelling and showed true American spirit. I thought the speech was a lot for his base, but he did offer some places that both parties can work together. I hope he pushes the infrastructure pillar of his speech. Our country is in dire need of infrastructure repair.

On the rebuttal side, I was a little floored to see the Democrats call on a Kennedy. My initial reaction was, "this is someone from the most privileged family in American". I saw no contrast in the rich white men who spoke for the two parties last night. IMO, completely tone deaf by the Democrats. While his words may have been the polar opposite of Trump's, there was no getting over who he is and who his family is.

I had to laugh when Mr. Kennedy said, "We leave no one behind." I looked at Mrs. ITC and said, "Except for Mary Jo Kopechne at Chappaquiddick."

It'll only instilled more in me that the Democrats and Republicans are the two sides of the same coin.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

It'll only instilled more in me that the Democrats and Republicans are the two sides of the same coin.
    Thank you for reinforcing something I started saying a number of years ago.

I didnt get a chance to watch last night as I had bowling. I may listen to the playback today.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Why watch when it means nothing? Its just a platform for egotistical loudmouths who know everything to bloviate on how great they are.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Im not sure if this is directed to me or not. I would want to see what the President has to say and also what the response from the Dem's is.

Honestly, I think it would be beneficial if third parties would actually put out some type of response also. Tell me where you agree with policy or differ with policy. It would be great to see what those agreements and differences are.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to get to watch this in the next couple days as I have a bunch to get done.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

My comment wasn't directed at anyone. Just how i feel about it.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Got it..

I agree to some degree that many of these are politicians are blowhards. That said, it is good to hear what they are saying publicly in order to hold them accountable to those promises or platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
              Nope, it's a free country.
              As the iconic Lee Greenwood song God Bless the USA proclaims, "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free to not watch the state of the union..."

BTW, that song will forever be burned into my soul, because my elementary school did a remix of it with lines like "I'm proud to be a Cougar Cub, where at least I know I'll learn, and I won't forget the teachers that tried, and gave that right to me..." We had to sing that song every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                As the iconic Lee Greenwood song God Bless the USA proclaims, "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free to not watch the state of the union..."

BTW, that song will forever be burned into my soul, because my elementary school did a remix of it with lines like "I'm proud to be a Cougar Cub, where at least I know I'll learn, and I won't forget the teachers that tried, and gave that right to me..." We had to sing that song every morning.
                Crikes, did you file a grievance?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

State of the Unions are the worst in my opinion. Say some kind of sound bite and watch them stand up and applaud. Rinse. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Pretty unwatchable. I'd rather just read about it the next day without the applause breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    State of the Unions are the worst in my opinion. Say some kind of sound bite and watch them stand up and applaud. Rinse. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Pretty unwatchable. I'd rather just read about it the next day without the applause breaks.
                    The applause is so ridiculous. It's just an opportunity to try to "catch" the other team not applauding so the next day you can say "look at that other team, not applauding/standing for veterans, American prosperity, children, whatever subject is supposed to infuriate the other side." The amount of outrage from this dog and pony show is laughable and it's been going on long before Trump so neither side has any moral high ground here. Just say the speech and save the applause for the end.

Comment

One day after Dumb Donald proclaims his SOTU address to be "the most watched in history" Nielsen says, uhhhh no, Obama, Clinton AND Bush all had more viewers. bwahahahaha

Comment

It's like he doesn't even know that things can be fact checked.
                        Fake News !!! He just doesn't care because everything he says is true...at least in his mind
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's like he doesn't even know that things can be fact checked.
                          Yep, that is the most bizarre part. But it also means:
                          1) he's just winging things without anyone confirming what he's talking about;
                          2) he thinks his base just believes whatever he will say whether it's correct or incorrect.

Comment

Interesting article from CBS about how the speech was received. Generally it appears that he did pretty well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/viewers...cbs-news-poll/

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Yep, that is the most bizarre part. But it also means:
                              1) he's just winging things without anyone confirming what he's talking about;
                              2) he thinks his base just believes whatever he will say whether it's correct or incorrect.
                              slight variation of the above - it really doesn't matter to his base what he says, and it doesn't matter to him if what he tells the country is true or not.

in the end, it's all noise that helps to obscure other things that he'd rather nobody notice or talk about.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X